Minimum wage is already “livable”

I keep hearing the left say that minimum wage, which is what the lowest 2% of Americans earn, needs to be increased to where it provides a “livable“ wage. The disconnect comes in what is considered livable - even for teens who barely squeaked through high school and have no job skills beyond that which can be taught to a middle schooler in half a day.

The left considers “livable” to be a middle class existence - a decent one-bedroom apartment, a car, a vacation. Where they miss is that is the level to which people should ASPIRE, and the desire to do so is what incentivizes one to get some vocational training (at a minimum).

To me, “livable” is how every member of my family lived when we were first starting out: either renting a room in someone’s house, or sharing a two- or three-bedroom apartment with others. I considered myself “living” doing that - I took the subway to work, did my job, bought groceries, and other basics.

And THAT is the lifestyle of someone right out of college, earning starting wages, or of a new high school graduate who has no real job skills to offer. In the case of the former, it will be temporary; in the case of the latter, it is rarely permanent as most people acquire job skills with experience.
The minimum wage in the US is $7.25 an hour. That is in fact not a liveable wage. That's $15,000 a year. Rent alone ($1000/mth) is $12,000 of that. Gas to get to work everyday would be another $3000. So you're left with....$0 a year.

I Guess adults can just not eat, drink, get oil changes for their car, renew their car registration each year, pay health insurance, pay for car insurance, and pay for electricity and a cell phone.

The minimum wage in the US is $7.25 an hour. That is in fact not a liveable wage. That's $15,000 a year. Rent alone ($1000/mth) is $12,000 of that. Gas to get to work everyday would be another $3000. So you're left with....$0 a year.

I Guess adults can just not eat, drink, get oil changes for their car, renew their car registration each year, pay health insurance, pay for car insurance, and pay for electricity and a cell phone.
Why is rent alone $1000? That’s for your own apartment. You can rent a so-so townhouse for $1500 with two other people and your rent is $500. The. Gas for car? Oil changes? Car insurance? What car? You take a job where there is public transportation. Around me, a bus ride is $2.

And Obamacare is around $30 a month if you earn so little. You share the electric bill. A cell phone runs you $69 for the phone AND a year of service.

Finally, I’m figuring on $10 minimum. Around here, the lowest is $17 or so. But figure $10, or $1600 a month. FICA, subtract around $100. That still leaves you with $1500. After rent, you have $1000 left for the bus, some groceries, and your share of the electric bill.

Not good enough? Then learn a skill.

I had several hundred dollars left over, and that covers clothes. And you don’t need to buy clothes and shoes and costs every month, either. I still have my winter coat from 2010.

And it isn’t fair to compare transit costs in New York. They already have a $15 minimum wage to compensate for the high costs of that city. (And who ever said I live in NY?] But in regular places, where people earn at least $10 hr, they can triple up with other low-wage earners, as people have done for generations, and cover their living costs.

And I did take out payroll taxes.

The fact remains that a $10/hr a wage worker, with no skills or education, can get by renting a room in someone’s house. If they don’t like that, they need to acquire job skills that makes them worth more on the open market.
As Planned, Slavery for Superior People Has Replaced Slavery for Inferior People

Education means nothing more respectable than buying a job. Even without tuition, the lost income from not being able to work a full-time job is prohibitive. Those who "work their way through school" don't have the time or energy left to learn very well. They deserve to be called "Diploma Dumbos."

Next time you take an airplane trip, realize that the pilot is not a person with the most talent for flying; he is just someone who had the time and money to go to flight school.

The only reason for such indentured servitude is that the children of the ruling class live on trust funds. Employers and consumers benefit from job training, so they must pay for it. Or we must make them pay for their freeloading stinginess.

The Yankees gave Derek Jeter a million dollars to put himself through baseball's equivalent of college education. Over and above that and his salary for 20 years, their Return on Investment was $250,000,000.

We'll never get anywhere until we start questioning the very foundations of this collapsing society. If you've heard of someone, don't listen to him. He is nothing more than the totalitarians' designated opinionist.

Another excuse. There are so many rooms for rent around here that they are hard to fill.

And if they can’t find one near their Target or wherever they work, then they need to apply for a job where there IS a room to rent. Stop acting like these people are helpless idiots.
Both Sides Now

Fine. And the rich should stop acting like their sons and daughters are helpless idiots. The pampered and sheltered brats should be cut off from Daddy's Money at age 18. No more entitled dependency.

The idea that wealthy people got that way due to “Daddy’s money” is an excuse failures tell themselves.
Those Who Make Excuses for Unearned Privileges Resent Their Own Daddies for Not Getting Rich and Spoiling Them

Outlawing birth privileges has nothing to do with making excuses for failure. You can't honestly tie those two together any more than hating kings is a peasant's excuse for his own failure. And if these imaginary self-made millionaires really did it on their own, they wouldn't need a dime of Daddy's Money to get a head start, would they? So cut them off for that reason then.

Those Who Make Excuses for Unearned Privileges Resent Their Own Daddies for Not Getting Rich and Spoiling Them

Outlawing birth privileges has nothing to do with making excuses for failure. You can't honestly tie those two together any more than hating kings is a peasant's excuse for his own failure. And if these imaginary self-made millionaires really did it on their own, they wouldn't need a dime of Daddy's Money to get a head start, would they? So cut them off for that reason then.
The self-made millionaire HAD no Daddy’s money. Plenty of them started off dirt poor. Stop assuming wealthy people inherited anything.

How many times are you going to repeat your own little personal communist manifesto bullshit?

Why is rent alone $1000? That’s for your own apartment. You can rent a so-so townhouse for $1500 with two other people and your rent is $500. The. Gas for car? Oil changes? Car insurance? What car? You take a job where there is public transportation. Around me, a bus ride is $2.

And Obamacare is around $30 a month if you earn so little. You share the electric bill. A cell phone runs you $69 for the phone AND a year of service.

Finally, I’m figuring on $10 minimum. Around here, the lowest is $17 or so. But figure $10, or $1600 a month. FICA, subtract around $100. That still leaves you with $1500. After rent, you have $1000 left for the bus, some groceries, and your share of the electric bill.

Not good enough? Then learn a skill.
Where do you live that rent is under $1000/mth?

If you rent a room in a house, it could be $500 or less, depending on where you live. Certainly you aren’t saying that someone with no job skills who flips burgers is entitled to his own apartment, are you? If he wants that, he has to acquire job skills that have a higher market value.

People have been renting rooms in houses or apartments for generations, without complaint. I did it. My dad did it. My grandfather did it. If we did it, so can a low-wage worker without much market value.

Here’s an example: 4-bedroom house for $1500. That is $375 each!

Last edited:
I think a lot of complainers of the wealthy do work, but none have ever risked a dime of their own money outside of buying a house or contributing to a workplace IRA. So they get pissed off that their employer is in charge of their income instead of themselves.

People like ourselves who did make investments, worked all the time to make those investments profitable are frowned upon. While we had to give up a lot of things to make it happen, they were buying the newest iPhone and video game systems.
And those delightful multi colored hair braids and nails for $$1,300 and then pull out the old EBT card that I paid for.!

If you rent a room in a house, it could be $500 or less, depending on where you live. Certainly you aren’t saying that someone with no job skills who flips burgers is entitled to his own apartment, are you? If he wants that, he has to acquire job skills that have a higher market value.

People have been renting rooms in houses or apartments for generations, without complaint. I did it. My dad did it. My grandfather did it. If we did it, so can a low-wage worker without much market value.
Look these jokers think they are entitled to a 500k house on an income that they FEEL should be required to support a 500K house. So being cart before horse ass backward emoters they are offering that employment income needs to match the house rather than making the house compatible with the income.

The highest price I charge is $625.00 a month, and that's only because there are five people in the apartment and I have to pay the water and sewer bill. These are two bedroom apartments with basement and on site parking.

Forum List

Back