Millennials vs. Boomers

The Depression / War Generation raised us Boomers and we were spoiled. For the most part, suburban Boomers were showered with material goods our parents had never known.

An attempt was made to install us with values. We joined scouts, we attended services, we were expected to behave in school and eventually make something of ourselves.

A lot of us failed for a time, tried to create a "counter-culture" but we quickly learned that once we leave the nest, no one was going to pay us to smoke pot and listen to The Stones. So, we went to work and settled down.

We raised a generation of kids who enjoyed all the toys, lessons, and entertainment we could heap on them. But, we also told them that all of their choices were good ones, that everyone is a winner just for showing up and that no matter what they did, they could always live at home and be taken care of.

How could we expect anything different?

The Depression / War Generation raised us Boomers and we were spoiled. For the most part, suburban Boomers were showered with material goods our parents had never known.

An attempt was made to install us with values. We joined scouts, we attended services, we were expected to behave in school and eventually make something of ourselves.

A lot of us failed for a time, tried to create a "counter-culture" but we quickly learned that once we leave the nest, no one was going to pay us to smoke pot and listen to The Stones. So, we went to work and settled down.

We raised a generation of kids who enjoyed all the toys, lessons, and entertainment we could heap on them. But, we also told them that all of their choices were good ones, that everyone is a winner just for showing up and that no matter what they did, they could always live at home and be taken care of.

How could we expect anything different?
Then you sucked everything up. You have savings, a House, medical, retirement. Have you seen how much college costs now?

This inflation despite all the claims that it is something else is largely driven by the trillions and trillions that were pumped into the markets. The benefit of those trillions and trillions have been the rich. It has little to nothing to do with being jealous over someone having more but rather people having to pay more and more because of inflation so the "rich" can have more than they will ever be able to spend.

To pay higher taxes to address the massive debt would help make things a little more even. If someone develops an amazing item and makes a lot of money on that item, that's great. When the massive wealth of so many is because of a system that benefitted those just because they already had money, that is another thing.

I agree that is certainly part of the issue and I would support increasing taxes on everyone across the board if there was a guarantee the budget would be balanced and the debt would be paid down, but both parties have made it clear that neither have the will to pursue that. Even if we doubled the top rate of income tax they would merely find new pet projects to waste it on and the debt would continue to rise.

Then you sucked everything up. You have savings, a House, medical, retirement. Have you seen how much college costs now?

Actually, I raised a millennial and am guilty of all of the sins I listed.

However, and I take absolutely no credit for this, my daughter turned out to be harder working and better with her money than I ever was, At 27, she is single, owns a home, and has a substantial nest egg.

Apparently, she inherited some of the DNA from her immigrant grandparents.

I agree that is certainly part of the issue and I would support increasing taxes on everyone across the board if there was a guarantee the budget would be balanced and the debt would be paid down

We all know that's impossible. Taxes are just like money we give to beggars on the street (except we go to jail if we don't give).

They will piss it away on drugs and booze and be back tomorrow begging for more.

Actually, I raised a millennial and am guilty of all of the sins I listed.

However, and I take absolutely no credit for this, my daughter turned out to be harder working and better with her money than I ever was, At 27, she is single, owns a home, and has a substantial nest egg.

Apparently, she inherited some of the DNA from her immigrant grandparents.
Same. 👍👍👍The boy is getting paid more than me while getting his theoretical math doctorate (calculus is for stupid people!) And the daughter is making almost as much working with the homeless.

I agree that is certainly part of the issue and I would support increasing taxes on everyone across the board if there was a guarantee the budget would be balanced and the debt would be paid down, but both parties have made it clear that neither have the will to pursue that. Even if we doubled the top rate of income tax they would merely find new pet projects to waste it on and the debt would continue to rise.

We refuse to hold politicians accountable (on both sides) for their lies. It's why we are in this mess.

But not here.
Meaning that the people here are ungrateful? I agree.

The whole planet should be grateful and thankful for the generations from just after the turn of the last century to the Millennials. Life before then was horrid and while it took time, a couple of generations, life had gotten easier and better.

You had nearly free college and career jobs out of high school if you didn't go.
I'm 61 years old. I didn't go to college until I was 55 because I was busy making Myself valuable to employers who were busy keeping this country in comforts like indoor plumbing, easy access to electricity, clean water, semi-reasonable infrastructure for getting to work and over rivers, providing housing for a growing nation and planet.

Yeah, I had no free college.

I disagree. Fewer and fewer can afford a house. Fewer have affordable access to health care. With the ever increasing inflation fewer can save for a retirement.
Then it is time to get the government out of our way.

Meaning that the people here are ungrateful? I agree.

The whole planet should be grateful and thankful for the generations from just after the turn of the last century to the Millennials. Life before then was horrid and while it took time, a couple of generations, life had gotten easier and better.
Fuck them.

Forum List

Back