Michael Moore calls for Starbucks boycott

I think there is some truth to that. I'm a landlord and have never seen the rental market this hot as I have the last five years or so. Not many people are interested in owning a home today. It's kind of like a new trend.

The last apartment I advertised was exactly three years ago. Usually in the winter, you get very few replies because most people move in the spring. However that time, I had over a dozen in my mail the next day; some of them saying they will take the place sight unseen.

In California, they were proposing a rent limit because landlords were taking so much advantage of the market. Unlike when I was younger, the American dream is no longer owning your own house. It's renting now.

I think today's society is more mobile, people are no longer living in the same town their whole lives and working for the same company. One of the things that slowed the recovery from the last election was that people could not go to where the jobs were as they were upside down on their houses and did not want to just walk away. People want the freedom and flexibility to go where they are lead to go or where their job leads them.

True, more of a gig society and that Is one of the reasons for the ACA, which in the end would of replaced cobra (not sure if they still have cobra). The issue is so many stay in a job just for health ins, so the thing is take it with you. There will come a day in the US where HI is not dependent on a job and it will be according to income, if the GOP's or Trump likes it or not.

I think there is some truth to that. I'm a landlord and have never seen the rental market this hot as I have the last five years or so. Not many people are interested in owning a home today. It's kind of like a new trend.

The last apartment I advertised was exactly three years ago. Usually in the winter, you get very few replies because most people move in the spring. However that time, I had over a dozen in my mail the next day; some of them saying they will take the place sight unseen.

In California, they were proposing a rent limit because landlords were taking so much advantage of the market. Unlike when I was younger, the American dream is no longer owning your own house. It's renting now.

I think today's society is more mobile, people are no longer living in the same town their whole lives and working for the same company. One of the things that slowed the recovery from the last election was that people could not go to where the jobs were as they were upside down on their houses and did not want to just walk away. People want the freedom and flexibility to go where they are lead to go or where their job leads them.

True, more of a gig society and that Is one of the reasons for the ACA, which in the end would of replaced cobra (not sure if they still have cobra). The issue is so many stay in a job just for health ins, so the thing is take it with you. There will come a day in the US where HI is not dependent on a job and it will be according to income, if the GOP's or Trump likes it or not.

You miss the point...the point is how you pay for it without destroying health care, the way the rest of the welfare countries have destroyed their healthcare systems.

Your cell phone shows the way........just about everyone has a cell phone, with computing power more powerful than that which was used to reach the moon......that didn't happen by the government controlling cell phones, it happened because of competition. Put competition back into healthcare and the costs come down and the quality goes up...just like in every other aspect of life.... Where has healthcare costs remained low, or even decreased? in the medical procedures not covered by insurance.....plastic surgery, and eye care........where actual costs have come down, and the quality of treatment has gone up.....

That may be part of it, but I really think the younger generations don't want to deal with the problems. My employer has a small business magazine he subscribes to, and they had an article there about millennials and Gen-X people. Many of them lease their cars instead of buying them. They rent their furniture and appliances. They just don't want to deal with the problems of home ownership. They don't want to have to cut lawns, remove snow, fix a toilet, nothing. It's just so much easier to make a phone call to solve any problem you have.

Seems as though many can't see beyond a six month time span, and salespeople know that. A leased car, with a payment less than if purchased does have some appeal, after all how else can they work their iPhone and Starbucks into a budget.

The one nice thing about owning your car is being able to do what you want with it. I have a remote start on my car that I operate from my cell phone. I know people that would love to get the same thing, but they can't because their car is leased. My sister leased a car one time. When she turned it in they charged her for an accident she never had. They found glass in-between the seats and investigated for repair work. She later demanded her money because she did a car-fax on it, and found out it was in an accident--before she leased it. She's owned every one of her cars since.

I don't understand the mentality of paying for everything forever. When I payoff a car or credit card, it's such a relief. Same goes with all my other bills. I guess maybe I need that goal to strive for. I dream of the day my properties are paid for, then most of the rent money I collect goes to me instead of the bank.

That may be part of it, but I really think the younger generations don't want to deal with the problems. My employer has a small business magazine he subscribes to, and they had an article there about millennials and Gen-X people. Many of them lease their cars instead of buying them. They rent their furniture and appliances. They just don't want to deal with the problems of home ownership. They don't want to have to cut lawns, remove snow, fix a toilet, nothing. It's just so much easier to make a phone call to solve any problem you have.

Seems as though many can't see beyond a six month time span, and salespeople know that. A leased car, with a payment less than if purchased does have some appeal, after all how else can they work their iPhone and Starbucks into a budget.

The one nice thing about owning your car is being able to do what you want with it. I have a remote start on my car that I operate from my cell phone. I know people that would love to get the same thing, but they can't because their car is leased. My sister leased a car one time. When she turned it in they charged her for an accident she never had. They found glass in-between the seats and investigated for repair work. She later demanded her money because she did a car-fax on it, and found out it was in an accident--before she leased it. She's owned every one of her cars since.

I don't understand the mentality of paying for everything forever. When I payoff a car or credit card, it's such a relief. Same goes with all my other bills. I guess maybe I need that goal to strive for. I dream of the day my properties are paid for, then most of the rent money I collect goes to me instead of the bank.

For me, the one nice thing about owning a car is not having monthly payments, and using that car as part of a down payment when it's time for a new one.

True, more of a gig society and that Is one of the reasons for the ACA,

There is only one reason for the ACA, and that is to create as many new government dependents as possible.

Yes...the goal was to use ACA to destroy private healthcare and to allow the democrats to call for universal medicare...hmmmmm....seems to have worked...

I'm a victim of losing my employer sponsored insurance thanks to that big-eared commie. So I'm about ready to throw in the towel myself and say to hell with it, let government take it over. Commie Care was designed for Democrat voters; those who make french fries or mop floors for a living. If you make a moderate income, it's completely unaffordable.

There is only one reason for the ACA, and that is to create as many new government dependents as possible.

Yes...the goal was to use ACA to destroy private healthcare and to allow the democrats to call for universal medicare...hmmmmm....seems to have worked...

I'm a victim of losing my employer sponsored insurance thanks to that big-eared commie. So I'm about ready to throw in the towel myself and say to hell with it, let government take it over. Commie Care was designed for Democrat voters; those who make french fries or mop floors for a living. If you make a moderate income, it's completely unaffordable.

That is the goal...... the worse the insurance the more the uninformed will beg the democrats to "do more" to make it work.....not realizing that the goal is to keep it broken so that you will always have to beg for help from the elite.....

Lets see, there is nothing constant in life, even your health. So before "Commie Care" there was something known as pre exiting conditions and the Ins. companies would deny you or underwrite your premiums so high, you could not afford them. This affected hiring and everything. Many filed bankruptcy due to health reasons. Now you don't need to worry and get on the ACA, it will go according to your income. I for one do not blame you. No it was not designed for those who made French fries or moped floors for a living.

Depending on the state and if run by the GOP, yes the ACA will be expensive and the GOP has made sure of that.

For me, the one nice thing about owning a car is not having monthly payments, and using that car as part of a down payment when it's time for a new one.

Another thing is what if you really love the car? They make you turn it in in three or five years. The only option is to buy the car off of them, but they want more money than the car is worth from what I'm told.

My car is ten years old and has 106,000 miles on it. I plan on getting another one this spring after the snow melts. I won't buy a new one because I don't want to be stuck with payments for God knows how many years. I will still have to take a loan, but nothing I can't have paid off in a year. I usually buy my cars with about 20,000 miles on it. Actually I would keep the car I have, but having it repaired all the time is good money chasing after bad. I would rather use that money towards paying on a newer car.

That is the goal...... the worse the insurance the more the uninformed will beg the democrats to "do more" to make it work.....not realizing that the goal is to keep it broken so that you will always have to beg for help from the elite.....

We will have a fight due to the GOP who wants to jake up the price and ruin everything good about it, but keep the kiddies on health ins, Mommies and Daddies , until the age of 27. Crap I was married by then, those are not kiddies.

Hey blame your employer, and your a victim thanks to Obama. What do you do for a living?

Lets see, there is nothing constant in life, even your health. So before "Commie Care" there was something known as pre exiting conditions and the Ins. companies would deny you or underwrite your premiums so high, you could not afford them. This affected hiring and everything. Many filed bankruptcy due to health reasons. Now you don't need to worry and get on the ACA, it will go according to your income.

Bull. What they are telling me is they want nearly a weeks paycheck for a policy with 9K out of pocket and 9K deductible. No meds, no dental, and an office copay. In other words, it's worthless to me. For anything I can use, they want a week and a half paycheck, and it's still a crappy policy, just not as crappy as the one above.

The government can't tell you what you can afford and what you can't because they don't know your expenses. They don't ask how much you pay for rent or mortgage. They don't ask if you are on medication and how much that costs. They don't ask what your medical bills are that their crummy insurance doesn't cover. They don't ask how much gasoline you use to get to work, or what your property taxes and insurance are. All they say is you make X, you are X old, and this is what you can afford. Big Brother has spoken.

I had employer sponsored coverage my entire adult life with preexisting conditions until that creep created Commie Care. The day it started, my employer dropped our coverage. Now I'm screwed, because many other employers did the exact same, and trying to find a new job at my age is tough enough yet alone a job with reasonable coverage.

Hey blame your employer, and your a victim thanks to Obama. What do you do for a living?

If not for Commie Care, employers wouldn't dream of dropping coverage. Commie Care gave them an out. I'm a truck driver.

Lets see, there is nothing constant in life, even your health. So before "Commie Care" there was something known as pre exiting conditions and the Ins. companies would deny you or underwrite your premiums so high, you could not afford them. This affected hiring and everything. Many filed bankruptcy due to health reasons. Now you don't need to worry and get on the ACA, it will go according to your income.

Bull. What they are telling me is they want nearly a weeks paycheck for a policy with 9K out of pocket and 9K deductible. No meds, no dental, and an office copay. In other words, it's worthless to me. For anything I can use, they want a week and a half paycheck, and it's still a crappy policy, just not as crappy as the one above.

The government can't tell you what you can afford and what you can't because they don't know your expenses. They don't ask how much you pay for rent or mortgage. They don't ask if you are on medication and how much that costs. They don't ask what your medical bills are that their crummy insurance doesn't cover. They don't ask how much gasoline you use to get to work, or what your property taxes and insurance are. All they say is you make X, you are X old, and this is what you can afford. Big Brother has spoken.

I had employer sponsored coverage my entire adult life with preexisting conditions until that creep created Commie Care. The day it started, my employer dropped our coverage. Now I'm screwed, because many other employers did the exact same, and trying to find a new job at my age is tough enough yet alone a job with reasonable coverage.

I had employer sponsored coverage my entire adult life with preexisting conditions until that creep created Commie Care. The day it started, my employer dropped our coverage.

Yes...obama had to destroy the incentive for private companies to offer insurance.....better policies than the government could provide..... once you destroy private healthcare....you have the one thing democrats crave more than vampires crave blood.... power over people......

The ACA was designed to do exactly what it did to you.......obama is a monster.

If not for Commie Care, employers wouldn't dream of dropping coverage. Commie Care gave them an out. I'm a truck driver.

Over the road or local?

I was hoping the Republicans would come up with a reasonable plan. Maybe the exact opposite where working people can afford care and the poor can't. Now it's the other way around. But Republicans sat on their ass making excuses like always. So my only hope is if I get sick, it's nothing expensive. If it is somethings serious, my only other choice is death. I have seven years more to get on Medicare if it's even there when I retire.

Over the road or local?

Local. Because of my medical condition, I have a lot of restrictions on what kind of work I can accept. I can't leave state lines and can't get my Haz-Mat endorsement which is a requirement of any major outfit in the US. So I'm stuck with lower paying jobs and smaller companies--most of which no longer have insurance coverage.

I had employer sponsored coverage my entire adult life with preexisting conditions until that creep created Commie Care. The day it started, my employer dropped our coverage.

Yes...obama had to destroy the incentive for private companies to offer insurance.....better policies than the government could provide..... once you destroy private healthcare....you have the one thing democrats crave more than vampires crave blood.... power over people......

The ACA was designed to do exactly what it did to you.......obama is a monster.

And I hope he suffers greatly for it. I'm the last guy that ever wishes ill on anybody, but because of what that creep did to me and millions of my fellow citizens, I hope there is a special place in hell for that man.

Forum List

Back