MI: Unions praise Whitmer for signing Right to Work repeal, prevailing wage restoration bills

‘Unions and other pro-labor groups on Friday celebrated the signing of a set of bills to reverse GOP former Gov. Rick Snyder-era laws that have curtailed union power and pushed down wages.

Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Friday afternoon signed House Bills 4004 and 4007 and Senate Bill 34. HB 4004 repeals Right to Work for public-sector employees, while SB 34 does the same for private-sector workers. HB 4007 restores the practice of prevailing wage into law.

“These bills will protect health and safety, ensuring healthcare workers can put patient care ahead of profit, construction workers can speak up when there’s a safety issue, and employees can call attention to food safety threats and other problems,” Whitmer said in a statement. “Let’s continue delivering for working people and ensuring Michigan is open for business.”

With her signature, Michigan is now the first state in nearly 60 years to repeal any Right to Work laws. The 2012 laws, which were highly controversial, allowed workers to get all union benefits without having to pay dues.

Its passage in the GOP-led Legislature drew a crowd of roughly 12,000 protesters. It also contained an appropriation, rendering citizens unable to repeal it.

In 2018, the GOP-led Legislature also approved an initiative repealing prevailing wage for contracted workers on state projects.’

Very good.

My fellow Michiganders lost their heads and voted in a Dem House, Senate and Gov. I hope they enjoy the fact that our economy is headed even faster into the toilet.

You'll be happy to know, however, that as a public school employee this does not pertain to me, thanks to the Supreme Court. :) I do not belong to the NEA thank God.

My fellow Michiganders lost their heads and voted in a Dem House, Senate and Gov. I hope they enjoy the fact that our economy is headed even faster into the toilet.

You'll be happy to know, however, that as a public school employee this does not pertain to me, thanks to the Supreme Court. :) I do not belong to the NEA thank God.
The thought of people like you undermining the public education system is just chilling.

The fact that you do so while living off it is blatant hypocrisy

Two-thirds of it is about the folks that work for the State, or about contracts with the state.

iu

They don't care about the working class, because it is about rewarding the folks that rigged the nominating process, and corrupted it to make sure James Craig would not defeat Whitmer.

This is about robbing the tax-payers. Most of it is about giving tax payer money, to state employees, and their contractors, whether they perform or not.

View attachment 769054

From the link;
"Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Friday afternoon signed House Bills 4004 and 4007 and Senate Bill 34. HB 4004 repeals Right to Work for public-sector employees, while SB 34 does the same for private-sector workers. HB 4007 restores the practice of prevailing wage into law."

"Fix the damn Roads?" Naw, moar like fleece the dumb azz SJWs . . . :sigh2:
You think Federal workers are not working class people?

Really?

‘Unions and other pro-labor groups on Friday celebrated the signing of a set of bills to reverse GOP former Gov. Rick Snyder-era laws that have curtailed union power and pushed down wages.

Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Friday afternoon signed House Bills 4004 and 4007 and Senate Bill 34. HB 4004 repeals Right to Work for public-sector employees, while SB 34 does the same for private-sector workers. HB 4007 restores the practice of prevailing wage into law.

“These bills will protect health and safety, ensuring healthcare workers can put patient care ahead of profit, construction workers can speak up when there’s a safety issue, and employees can call attention to food safety threats and other problems,” Whitmer said in a statement. “Let’s continue delivering for working people and ensuring Michigan is open for business.”

With her signature, Michigan is now the first state in nearly 60 years to repeal any Right to Work laws. The 2012 laws, which were highly controversial, allowed workers to get all union benefits without having to pay dues.

Its passage in the GOP-led Legislature drew a crowd of roughly 12,000 protesters. It also contained an appropriation, rendering citizens unable to repeal it.

In 2018, the GOP-led Legislature also approved an initiative repealing prevailing wage for contracted workers on state projects.’

Very good.
Non Right to Work states suck and are despicable.

I am glad I live in a Right to Work state. The last thing we need are greedy commie Unions fucking everybody and being the cash cow for the disgusting Democrat Party.

DeSantis did a great thing here in Florida. We do have some filthy Unions but they are not very strong. DeSantis made them even weaker by doing away with having Union dues collected with the payroll. Now if the filthy Unions want your membership money they have to collect it separate. Love it!

The thought of people like you undermining the public education system is just chilling.

The fact that you do so while living off it is blatant hypocrisy

Too bad. I have no problem with my local organization, my direct coworkers who negotiate my contract. I went to them before I quit and asked if I could just pay local dues for that. They said no, I had to be in the entire NEA, which supports abortion, to which I am morally opposed.

I said no, I'm out. The president of our local said I wasn't alone, he understood, and it's too bad the NEA is so political.

So there it is.

Only Whitmer can declare people non-essential and terminate their employment.

Totalitarian ^unt.

Very good.
/---/ Just added more fuel to inflation.

Only Whitmer can declare people non-essential.

Totalitarian ^unt.

And shut down the gardening center of Walmart. Only the gardening center.

She is the gov in this sketch: Covid, the Broadway Play. Starts about the 4 minute mark.

Too bad. I have no problem with my local organization, my direct coworkers who negotiate my contract. I went to them before I quit and asked if I could just pay local dues for that. They said no, I had to be in the entire NEA, which supports abortion, to which I am morally opposed.

I said no, I'm out. The president of our local said I wasn't alone, he understood, and it's too bad the NEA is so political.

So there it is.
My wife is a retired school teacher.

Back when we first got married she joined the Teacher's Union at her school here in Florida, a Right to Work State. She did it because the dues were minimal and the Union provided classroom liability insurance. This was in the early 1970s.

However, the dues began to rise and in 1976 the Union supported that idiot Jimmy Carter for President. My wife didn't like that her money was going to a Democrat. In addition to that the Union became more Leftest supporting disgusting things like abortion.

She quit the Union. Because Florida is a Right to Work State it did not affect her job. Thank god for that. We were able to get the liability insurance through our Homeowner's policy and she didn't have to pay the dues.

I am a retired Engineering Director from an Aerospace company. I managed both salaried and Union workers at two different facilities. I could tell you some horror stories about Union greed and abuse.

Piss on Unions.

Non Right to Work states suck and are despicable.

I am glad I live in a Right to Work state. The last thing we need are greedy commie Unions fucking everybody and being the cash cow for the disgusting Democrat Party.

DeSantis did a great thing here in Florida. We do have some filthy Unions but they are not very strong. DeSantis made them even weaker by doing away with having Union dues collected with the payroll. Now if the filthy Unions want your membership money they have to collect it separate. Love it!
Right to work is a big reason why Florida average income is $13K less than the national average

Right to work is a big reason why Florida average income is $13K less than the national average

LOL!

We live a lot better than those yokels in Michigan. I know because the sonsofbitches from that state, both young and old, are moving to Florida. Nobody from Florida is moving to Michigan.

We have lower cost of living because the filthy ass Unions are not running up the cost of everything.

Piss on the goddamn Unions.

LOL!

We live a lot better than those yokels in Michigan. I know because the sonsofbitches from that state, both young and old, are moving to Florida. Nobody from Florida is moving to Michigan.

We have lower cost of living because the filthy ass Unions are not running up the cost of everything.

Piss on the goddamn Unions.
No, we have corporations that are running up the cost of everything.

The Federal Government is a big bloated welfare employee. We don't need most of the Federal workers. Outside of the military and a few others it is not like they have real productive jobs.
But teabaggers beg for them, when there is an emergency.

And shut down the gardening center of Walmart. Only the gardening center.

She is the gov in this sketch: Covid, the Broadway Play. Starts about the 4 minute mark.

Or tell people they couldn't go to their lakehouses while her and hubby went to theirs.

You mean the NEA supports empowering women by respecting their right to privately choose. You support having strangers repress and control women from their armchairs and soapboxes. I'm sure you have no problem with the big raise, coming your way no thanks to you.

So, I read the OP's contribution about Michigan's recently passed legislation.

I found a site called 'Bridge-Michigan'.

So I read the RTWork reportage, and I also noticed that the Michigan House and Senate also passed some new firearm legislation.

I was heartened by what I read. I think I see some movement towards my long-held belief that firearm ownership (I am an owner of multiple guns).....that firearm ownership falls under a "strict liability" mandate.

Meaning, if you are the owner of record.....you own the gun, and you own the harms it may cause. Someone steals your Glock and kills his cheatin' girlfriend.....well, you are on the hook for some liability in her death.

That's my idea of the responsibilities of gun ownership. Michigan evidently didn't get that far. But, they did move in the direction of greater responsibility accompanying the right to own that gun.

So passing this legislation about Right to Work, Michigan also passed a firearm 'safe storage' law.

Here's what 'The Bridge' reported:

"If an owner fails to properly store a gun, and that gun is used by a minor to kill themselves or others, the owner could be charged with a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a $7,500 fine. If a minor uses the gun to injure someone, the owner could face a five-year felony charge."

Forum List

Back