W. Virginia becomes #26 right to work state

Stop howling Libs the right to work doesn't get rid of Unions it gives workers the right to refuse membership. I once worked for a Construction Company based out of Missouri that landed some jobs in my state. I knew that when one job ended they would take me to another that was until they moved to a Union job in another state. I couldn't go because I didn't belong to a Union.

Regardless of the misplaced outrage of the left Unions didn't need this to sink them. Membership have been steadily plummeting for years. Unions were needed back in the day not so much now.

So, you think it's fair to freeload on union jobs without even paying your share of "agency fees" for bargaining and representation costs which have nothing to do with political campaigns? How is that fair?

the right to work doesn't get rid of Unions it gives workers the right to refuse membership.

You forgot to add that the non union workers gets the benefits of the union as well. Without paying for it.

Seems like a something for nothing deal. And right wingers bitch all day about people getting something for nothing.

Yet support union breaking acts that allow some to benefit from the efforts of other. With out paying for it.

Why do republicans want welfare for workers that probably are stupid enough to vote Republican? Ah I answered my own question.

Vote for a Republican. He will help you get union scale wages and not have to pay for it

Pandering for votes eh?

Stop howling Libs the right to work doesn't get rid of Unions it gives workers the right to refuse membership. I once worked for a Construction Company based out of Missouri that landed some jobs in my state. I knew that when one job ended they would take me to another that was until they moved to a Union job in another state. I couldn't go because I didn't belong to a Union.

Regardless of the misplaced outrage of the left Unions didn't need this to sink them. Membership have been steadily plummeting for years. Unions were needed back in the day not so much now.

So, you think it's fair to freeload on union jobs without even paying your share of "agency fees" for bargaining and representation costs which have nothing to do with political campaigns? How is that fair?

It ALL has to do with political campaigns, and they should not be union jobs if the union is taking non-voluntary "contributions" to support its political goals.

I happen to be a union member. It's quite active and occasionally useful to my needs.

Why the glee from the Right Wing over seeing working class families lose rights, workplace safety and benefits? Is it because they naturally side with the corporate class? Is it because they see unions as political organizations opposed to their ideology? Or is it because they think that cheap, kin safe, untrained labor is the best choice for their corporate overlords?

The race to the bottom has been won by the Conservatives. They got wages to tank, they are working hard to gut environmental regulations and they rail daily about federal workplace safety regulations calling them onerous and over reaching.

Kill organized labor and you reap the whirlwind. Why do they think that history won't repeat itself? It always has. The gains made by labor in the last century will have to be fought for and won in this century. Labor is not a commodity like raw materials and energy. Labor is people and people deserve a fair chance at living wages, a safe workplace and retirement with dignity. Demanding people give up those things NGOs in exchange for gratitude that at least they have a job is unpalatable at least, demeaning at most and dangerous at worst.

Do they get the CHOICE not for them to bargain on their behalf?

Thank God most people are not grown infants

Why the glee from the Right Wing over seeing working class families lose rights, workplace safety and benefits? Is it because they naturally side with the corporate class? Is it because they see unions as political organizations opposed to their ideology? Or is it because they think that cheap, kin safe, untrained labor is the best choice for their corporate overlords?

The race to the bottom has been won by the Conservatives. They got wages to tank, they are working hard to gut environmental regulations and they rail daily about federal workplace safety regulations calling them onerous and over reaching.

Kill organized labor and you reap the whirlwind. Why do they think that history won't repeat itself? It always has. The gains made by labor in the last century will have to be fought for and won in this century. Labor is not a commodity like raw materials and energy. Labor is people and people deserve a fair chance at living wages, a safe workplace and retirement with dignity. Demanding people give up those things NGOs in exchange for gratitude that at least they have a job is unpalatable at least, demeaning at most and dangerous at worst.

What rights?

What work place safety, is OSHA, the EPA going anywhere?

What low wages, the states that we're tradionaly poor and now are becoming industrial power houses?

I guess in your scarry world RTW drags us back into the dark ages of 1884 but you are so wrong and ignorant it is funny as hell. I know first hand how company's operate down here in South Carolina. They pay wages way above minimum wage, they can compete with foreign company's, hell company's from China are relocating here.

It ALL has to do with political campaigns, and they should not be union jobs if the union is taking non-voluntary "contributions" to support its political goals.

I happen to be a union member. It's quite active and occasionally useful to my needs.

By law, unions cannot force anyone to pay for political campaigns - so what are you talking about?

(Contrary to popular opinion, no worker in the U.S. can be forced to be a full dues-paying, card-carrying member of a union. But they can be compelled to pay so-called "agency fees" -- the portion of dues that goes expressly to bargaining and representation costs, as opposed to, say, political campaigns. Right-to-work guarantees that workers do not have to pay these fees.)

How Right-To-Work Laws Hurt Unions

Unions had a place and a time and we have all ultimately benefited from them, but they got greedy and overplayed their hand too many times. Now the pendulum is swinging back in the other direction.
The 2nd Amendment had a place and time and we ultimately benefited from it, but its supporters got greedy and overplayed their hands too many times.

See how silly you sound?

No

'Right to work' is among the more reprehensible manifestations of conservative reckless and irresponsible governance, and among the right's most reprehensible lies.

It's the 'right' to lose your job for no good or valid reason.

It's the 'right' to work for low wages.

It's the 'right' to be subject to all manner of employers' schemes to deny employees full-time work, benefits, and job security.

It's the 'right' to be subject to the capricious whims of one's employer.

And the conservative lie that if one believes he's being unfairly treated or not paid enough by his current employer, that the 'remedy' to such a situation is he need only find employment elsewhere, is completely false and devoid of merit – as 'right to work' places government on the side of employers, where wages are kept consistently low and working conditions consistently perilous.

That the relationship between employer and employee is one where the parties are not equal is settled and accepted Constitutional law, as it is both warranted and appropriate for government to seek to safeguard the conditions of employees against unscrupulous employers who wish to exploit them:

“The legislature has also recognized the fact, which the experience of legislators in many States has corroborated, that the proprietors of these establishments and their operatives do not stand upon an equality, and that [p394] their interests are, to a certain extent, conflicting. The former naturally desire to obtain as much labor as possible from their employees, while the latter are often induced by the fear of discharge to conform to regulations which their judgment, fairly exercised, would pronounce to be detrimental to their health or strength.” (West Coast Hotel Co. v. Parrish)

LMAO!! Must not be in a right to work state? But thats funny.

I was in the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union during my apprenticeship for tool and die. But that was a LONG time ago.

I grew up in a UAW city with strong GM manufacturing jobs. All those jobs are in Mexico now. there are no more auto jobs in the city where DELCO was founded.

I worked for 20 years on 100% commission. Everybody should do that for a while. Makes some people really appreciate a good paying hourly job.
But I liked knowing I had to get off my ass and do my job to make any money.
OR If I had made a lot of money, I could kick back if I wanted.

Unions had a place and a time and we have all ultimately benefited from them, but they got greedy and overplayed their hand too many times. Now the pendulum is swinging back in the other direction.

Changing the unions are the answer. Not bowing to the corporate overlords assuming they will do workers right. SURE it never happened before but but IT'S POSSIBLE! Says the corporate dream seller.

Why the glee from the Right Wing over seeing working class families lose rights, ...

What right did a working class family lose by WV becoming another Right to Work state??
What benefits did they win? What outcome is viable other than stripping away worker's rights?
Choice. Freedom....silly rights like that. A Right to Work.
C'mon! Bromides and bumper sticker thinking is no substitute for a wage one can live on and a workplace one can be reasonably assured one might return home safely from.

Why the glee from the Right Wing over seeing working class families lose rights, ...

What right did a working class family lose by WV becoming another Right to Work state??
What benefits did they win? What outcome is viable other than stripping away worker's rights?
Choice. Freedom....silly rights like that. A Right to Work.
This is the usual naïve, simplistic, sophomoric dogma common to most on the right, as inane as it is unwarranted:

“[F]reedom of contract is a qualified, and not an absolute, right. There is no absolute freedom to do as one wills or to contract as one chooses. The guaranty of liberty does not withdraw from legislative supervision that wide department of activity which consists of the making of contracts, or deny to government the power to provide restrictive safeguards. Liberty implies the absence of arbitrary restraint, not immunity from reasonable regulations and prohibitions imposed in the interests of the community. “ ibid

By law, unions cannot force anyone to pay for political campaigns - so what are you talking about?

(Contrary to popular opinion, no worker in the U.S. can be forced to be a full dues-paying, card-carrying member of a union. But they can be compelled to pay so-called "agency fees" -- the portion of dues that goes expressly to bargaining and representation costs, as opposed to, say, political campaigns.

If you say so.:laugh:

Forum List

Back