Merriam-Webster Alters Definition Of Sexual “Preference” To Say It’s Offensive After Hirono Attacked Barrett For Using It

What is a "sexual preference"?
And why is the term "sexual preference" any more offensive than, say, "sexual orientation" which carries strange connotations of bartenders and process servers from a federal courthouse suddenly showing up at a nightclub in Chinatown San Francisco to serve recently legislated federal Title IX sexual harassment paperwork, restraining orders, no contact orders etc. — about the same time a group of doctors, in fraternization with the lawyers, bartenders, and process servers, started diagnosing the same defendants with a newly discovered pandemic of HIV+AIDS.

Sexual "preference" carries an implication that a sexual orientation somehow is a choice that someone makes, and only a damn fool would believe something like that. I've discussed this with LGBT friends, even when we were a bit tipsy. I know that I never made any conscious choice to be heterosexual. It wasn't even thought about. Some things just are. One sees somebody and there is that "OMG!" reaction that nobody can explain.

Nobody has the right to interfere, anyway. Just get on with your own life.

Oh I read it in high school. I love the projection you clowns use, high school level literature.

LOL like Ginsberg wasn't fringe.

No, actually she wasn't. Most of what she fought for in career like equal pay for women are considered gimmes now.

She's a lockstep progressive that hates gun rights, religious rights, and anything else that doesn't stand for SJW trends.

I know that I never made any conscious choice to be heterosexual. It wasn't even thought about. Some things just are.
Obviously in this case you are female and were raped by a dastardly evil man, and now you need professional help, and you need the dastardly evil man to pay for it.

This is where the narrative breaks down, and where the rare female victims of true violent crimes are drowned out by the incessant false rape accusations from the political left, and by the gratuitous service of process in court with restraining orders, no-contact orders, anti-harassment orders, civil protective orders, emergency civil commitment orders, etc., etc.

I guess they have Winston Smith working for them.

Merriam-Webster alters definition of sexual "preference" to say it's offensive after Hirono attacked Barrett for using it

Check the Wayback Machine and you’ll find that Merriam-Webster’s definition of “preference” said nothing about the term being offensive as of September 28, the last time the page was archived. Today the label “offensive” has been attached, with this note about usage:

Usage of Preference
The term preference as used to refer to sexual orientation is widely considered offensive in its implied suggestion that a person can choose who they are sexually or romantically attracted to.
It’s … strange that the alleged offensiveness of the term came to M-W’s attention only recently if it’s “widely considered” to be taboo.

As for when, precisely, the definition was altered, presumably only the editors know. But there is this:

p-2.png

Looks like the page was updated on the very same day that Mazie Hirono went after Barrett for using the term “sexual preference” at her confirmation hearing. Fancy that.

The thing is there is no such thing as a memory hole (yet) when it comes to the internet, things are always archived, by multiple parties, so one can see if things were changed, and usually when they were changed.

Someone needs to tell Merriam-Webster that 1984 wasn't a how to manual.

So my wife and I bought the 1976 two volume edition of Funk and Wagnalls dictionary at an antique store yesterday. And I'll be damned if she didn't want to buy it for this exact reason. Wow.
Right ON! Have myself older dictionary from the late '50's, along with Encyclopedias....changing definitions for someone's feelings blows my mind...

This is BS and you know it. where did you get this? Frankie graham??? He doesn't know from shit. Why don't you just MYOB? Nobody is keeping you from f'king whom you want. You get it when you want it, don't you?

Lys, I'm the poster boy for MYOB.

It is often said, and correctly so, that the erosion of virtue in society is Individual liberty's greatest threat.

What "virtue" are you talking about? Just MYOB and stop trying to police everybody else. You've got your's haven't you? Has anyone ever tried to stop you from conducting your own love/sex/religious life? Or are you just trying to mind everybody else's? Just get it on, can't you? Never mind what the neighbors think.

What "virtue" are you talking about? Just MYOB and stop trying to police everybody else. You've got your's haven't you? Has anyone ever tried to stop you from conducting your own love/sex/religious life? Or are you just trying to mind everybody else's? Just get it on, can't you? Never mind what the neighbors think.

Lys, are you in heat? Do I turn you on? It’s okay. I get it. Natty C’s a hot commodity. He got confidence. Charisma. That V shape you love so much. Tall. Handsome. An intellectual. I gotta beat em off with a stick, babe. But, you know, seat’s taken. I'm sorry.

I'm female and am attracted to males. Is this a preference? Some conscious choice that I made that I don't recall?
Yes, you would prefer to have sex with a man over a woman, right? I mean technically speaking, you could have sex with a woman, but you dont want to, right?

Turning "sexual preference" into a naughty word is fucking stupid. No one is going to get behind this madness. This shit makes you lefties look retarded.

The term "preference" makes it seem like sexual orientation is a choice, when it is not. It is something that we are born with. It's hard-wired.

Don't get me wrong I have a step cousin who is gay------------------and from the moment I met him when we were like 4----we all knew he was off but we still loved him. He loved to play dressup and with dolls so when he came out a couple of decades later---all we could tell him is that we all knew long long ago.... I know that it is often hard wired------but there are cases of homsexuality and bi-sexuality being created by child abuse and drug abuse. It doesn't matter what the "word of the day" is they are going to keep changing it as a way to exert power and control over those that say anything.

The correct response to the senator then was and is to tell her to get over herself and fake indignation. No more word changes and smears over this nonsense.

She's a lockstep progressive that hates gun rights, religious rights, and anything else that doesn't stand for SJW trends.

She was also a practicing lawyer for decades who won several landmark civil rights cases for women before serving on the bench of decades.

As opposed to Serena Joy, who has only been a federal judge for three years.

I'm female and am attracted to males. Is this a preference? Some conscious choice that I made that I don't recall?
Yes, you would prefer to have sex with a man over a woman, right? I mean technically speaking, you could have sex with a woman, but you dont want to, right?

Turning "sexual preference" into a naughty word is fucking stupid. No one is going to get behind this madness. This shit makes you lefties look retarded.

The term "preference" makes it seem like sexual orientation is a choice, when it is not. It is something that we are born with. It's hard-wired.

Don't get me wrong I have a step cousin who is gay------------------and from the moment I met him when we were like 4----we all knew he was off but we still loved him. He loved to play dressup and with dolls so when he came out a couple of decades later---all we could tell him is that we all knew long long ago.... I know that it is often hard wired------but there are cases of homsexuality and bi-sexuality being created by child abuse and drug abuse. It doesn't matter what the "word of the day" is they are going to keep changing it as a way to exert power and control over those that say anything.

The correct response to the senator then was and is to tell her to get over herself and fake indignation. No more word changes and smears over this nonsense.

Why should anyone "say anything"? What gets me is all the people who are obsessed with the fact that some people are LGBTs. I doubt that any LGBT person ever did anything to them. You see it here on USMB, it's all sex, sex, sex, and graphic, imagined descriptions of somebody else's sex life. Child abuse and drug abuse create problems the the entire society. They don't alter a person's sexual orientation. It's not an LGBT thing. There are many women who are straight who have suffered child abuse and, unfortunately, just grow to accept more abuse by men.

This Barrett just displayed her ignorance. But what can anyone expect. I've heard that she is in some Catholic cult and took a sex oath. She swore to obey some penis named Jessie in all things so the Creator only knows what she has to do. Most of the time these dirty things remain hidden.

Lys, are you in heat? Do I turn you on? It’s okay. I get it. Natty C’s a hot commodity. He got confidence. Charisma. That V shape you love so much. Tall. Handsome. An intellectual. I gotta beat em off with a stick, babe. But, you know, seat’s taken. I'm sorry.

Are you on drugs? Don't pretend to understand human sexuality because nobody does. It's just a natural phenomenon that we can't explain. I'm talking about the fact that anyone of us can see 100 very attractive people (depending on the gender that one is attracted to), but nothing happens. Then the 101st comes out and its Bingo!

Why should anyone "say anything"? What gets me is all the people who are obsessed with the fact that some people are LGBTs. I doubt that any LGBT person ever did anything to them. You see it here on USMB, it's all sex, sex, sex, and graphic, imagined descriptions of somebody else's sex life. Child abuse and drug abuse create problems the the entire society. They don't alter a person's sexual orientation. It's not an LGBT thing. There are many women who are straight who have suffered child abuse and, unfortunately, just grow to accept more abuse by men.

This Barrett just displayed her ignorance. But what can anyone expect. I've heard that she is in some Catholic cult and took a sex oath. She swore to obey some penis named Jessie in all things so the Creator only knows what she has to do. Most of the time these dirty things remain hidden.
No, you could be a totally normal heterosexual, but if you were molested at a young age, there is a decent chance you will also molest little boys when you grow up. Sexuality can be changed in some cases, but i agree that sexuality is mostly determined when you are born.

Preferences aren't necessarily consciously made choices. Wake up!

noun: preference; plural noun: preferences
  1. 1.
    a greater liking for one alternative over another or others.

Perhaps not, but the actions taken because of said preferences are choices. Lifestyle choices in this case.

She was also a practicing lawyer for decades who won several landmark civil rights cases for women before serving on the bench of decades.

As opposed to Serena Joy, who has only been a federal judge for three years.

The lefty ABA called here "well qualified" so you can go suck your bitching up your asshole.

Forum List

Back