Merged Senate in the balance! With 'Tim Johnson' Suffers Possible Stroke

Not so good, at least it sounds more than an allergy:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061214/ap_on_go_co/johnson

S.D. Sen. Tim Johnson undergoing surgery

By MARY CLARE JALONICK, Associated Press Writer 59 minutes ago

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson (news, bio, voting record) of South Dakota was undergoing surgery early Thursday after being admitted to the hospital with symptoms of a stroke weeks before his party is slated to take control of the Senate by a one-vote margin.

There was no word on the nature of the surgery — which began late Wednesday and lasted past midnight — or Johnson's condition.

Apart from the risk to his health, Johnson's illness carried political ramifications. Democrats emerged from last month's elections with a 51-49 Senate majority. If he is forced to relinquish his seat, a replacement would be named by South Dakota's GOP Gov. Mike Rounds.

A Republican appointee would create at 50-50 tie, and allow the GOP to retain Senate control.

Johnson, who turns 60 later this month, was admitted to George Washington University hospital at midday Wednesday after experiencing what his office initially said was a possible stroke.

His spokeswoman, Julianne Fisher, later told reporters it had been determined that the senator had suffered neither a stroke nor a heart attack.

But several hours after she spoke, Dr. John Eisold, the Capitol physician, called that into question with a statement of his own.

"Senator Tim Johnson was admitted to the George Washington University Hospital today with the symptoms of a stroke. He is currently under the care of physicians at the George Washington University Hospital."

Fisher and Eisold both said they did not intend to issue further updates on Johnson's condition until Thursday. There was no formal announcement of the surgery, which was disclosed by an official who spoke on condition of anonymity, citing the sensitive nature of the subject.

You must not have read my posts. theyve been claiming it since yesterday.

I keep hearing some accusations of polonium use. Its all a bush conspiracy.

Sorry about that

Libs need to loosen their tin foil hats and improve the blood flow to their brain

Oh, then they better loosen their shorts then - forget the tin foil hat

See if y'all can stop salivating and give a second to think about the fact that the guy is ill...

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson in critical condition this morning
Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson was in critical condition early Thursday after suffering "stroke-like symptoms" and undergoing emergency surgery at a Washington hospital, the Associated Press reported.

A nursing supervisor told The Washington Post "early today that the senator was out of surgery and in critical condition. Hospital officials and Johnson aides offered no further comment or details; a more complete statement was expected later this morning."

AP said "A person in the hospital's media relations office, who declined to be identified by name pending a formal statement, said George Washington University Hospital was preparing to announce that Johnson's condition was critical. He would not describe the nature of the surgery."

Reuters has some background on the 59-year-old South Dakota lawmaker.

See our earlier posts below.

Update at 9:01 a.m. ET: CNN is reporting that Johnson was diagnosed with "congenital arteriovenous malformation," an inherited condition that caused bleeding in his brain. Dr. Sanjay Gupta, the network's resident medical expert, said the senator could be in for a lengthy recovery given the likely location of the bleeding.

Update at 9:30 a.m. ET: The U.S. Capitol physician told AP the surgery, in which doctors stopped the bleeding and untangled abnormally large blood vessels in Johnson's brain, was successful.

"The senator is recovering without complication," Adm. John Eisold said. "It is premature to determine whether further surgery will be required or to assess any long-term prognosis."

We have audio of Johnson exhibiting symptoms of a stroke during a conference call yesterday.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2006/12/democratic_sen__1.html

Can you point out the posts with everybody salivating? I'd love to see that one...

I've always found that people proscribe to others the faults they find the most insidious in themselves.

So if you believe that, you must also believe that all the whining the right does about libs is more reflective of their own extremism?

So if you believe that, you must also believe that all the whining the right does about libs is more reflective of their own extremism?

I would say that those that believe that Libs would hope for the Death of Conservatives, would be far more likely to hope for the Death of Libs in order to advance their agenda. I, however, saw no "salivating" in this thread... I just saw an accusation. Hence the reason I asked for some quotes of all the salivating going on...

I then produced an observation that I believe is accurate.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
He suffered from bleeding of the brain from a congenital defect... critical but stable condition.

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota was in critical but stable condition Thursday after late-night emergency brain surgery, creating political drama about which party will control the Senate next month if he is unable to continue in office.
Johnson suffered from bleeding in the brain caused by a congenital malformation, the U.S. Capitol physician said, describing the surgery as successful. The condition, present at birth, causes tangled blood vessels.

"The senator is recovering without complication," the physician, Adm. John Eisold, said. "It is premature to determine whether further surgery will be required or to assess any long-term prognosis."

Eisold said doctors had to drain the blood that had accumulated in Johnson's brain and stop continued bleeding.

Democrats hold a fragile 51-49 margin in the new Senate that convenes Jan. 4. If Johnson leaves the Senate, the Republican governor of South Dakota could appoint a Republican _ keeping the Senate in GOP hands with Vice President Dick Cheney's tie-breaking power.

Johnson's condition, also known as AVM, or arteriovenous malformation, causes arteries and veins to grow abnormally large and become tangled.

The senator's wife, Barbara Johnson, said the family "is encouraged and optimistic."

In a statement from Johnson's office Thursday, she said her family was "grateful for the prayers and good wishes of friends, supporters and South Dakotans."

A person familiar with Johnson's condition said the 59-year-old senator's underlying condition caused the stroke-like symptoms and doctors will be watching him closely for the next 24 to 48 hours. The person spoke on condition of anonymity out of respect for the senator's family.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/14/D8M0MG2G2.html

Can you point out the posts with everybody salivating? I'd love to see that one...

I've always found that people proscribe to others the faults they find the most insidious in themselves.

I concur. We've all wished him well and commenting on the lunatics left paranoid rants. its amazing that these people dont care about his health except that he continues to hold the seat for the Democrats. They are more than announcing their willingness to let him hold the seat as a vegetable if they have to. its quite stunning.

I concur. We've all wished him well and commenting on the lunatics left paranoid rants. its amazing that these people dont care about his health except that he continues to hold the seat for the Democrats. They are more than announcing their willingness to let him hold the seat as a vegetable if they have to. its quite stunning.
As I predicted, post 1. :angel:

CNN was more worried about Dems losing the Senate then the condition of Sen Johnson

Liberal compassion at its best

CNN Reporter: Ailing Senator Leaves Democrats' Dreams ‘Ripped in Half by Fate’
Posted by Scott Whitlock on December 14, 2006 - 15:53.
Filing two reports for Thursday’s "American Morning," CNN reporter Bob Franken asserted that Democrats are "more sincere" in their expressions of concern for ailing South Dakota Senator Tim Johnson. Reporting on what the political ramifications would be if the Democrat resigned from Congress, thus giving Republicans control of the Senate, Franken used apocalyptic language to describe such an occurrence. The loss of Johnson, who suffered a brain hemorrhage on Wednesday, would be a "major, major disruption" and could leave Congress "ripped in half by fate" Such an event would enable the Republicans to "protect their party's president from a full-scale assault." It was this type of over-the-top reporting that led to Franken’s claim that the Democrats are the ones who really care about the Senator:

Bob Franken: " Without question, all the expressions of concern for Senator Johnson are very sincere, but I've got to say that the ones from the Democrats, Miles, are even more sincere."

Co-host Miles O'Brien "Absolutely."

During his first segment, which aired at 7:32am, Franken introduced colorful phrases to describe the dire ramifications of Johnson’s resignation, which would allow South Dakota’s Republican governor to appoint a (likely) Republican replacement:

Franken: "If senator Johnson can no longer serve, and that's a big if, the balance of power in the Senate would turn upside down. It's as simple as that. Republicans would almost certainly take back the Senate that the Democrats had just wrenched from their control in last month's election."

John Mercurio (Hotline): "Democrats are expecting to come back to Capitol Hill in January in control of a legislative agenda. And this put a huge wrench in what Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are expected to try to accomplish in the first few--over the next two years."

Franken: "Tim Johnson of South Dakota is one of the states where the sitting governor chooses a replacement, without regard to party. Republican Governor Mike Rounds could be expected to appoint someone from his own party to fill the vacancy until the next election in two years. Instead of the 51/49 majority Democrats fought so hard to achieve, it would become 50/50, and the tie would be broken by the President of the Senate -- the Vice President of the United States, Dick Cheney. Of course, Democrats would still control the House, but the opposition party's newly gained power in Congress would suddenly be ripped in half by fate, and GOP senators would be able to protect their party's president from a full-scale assault. Without question, all the expressions of concern for Senator Johnson are very sincere but I've got to say that the ones from the Democrats, Miles, are even more sincere."

O'Brien "Absolutely. Bob Franken, thank you very much."

An hour later, Franken continued discussing the issue in fearful terms, relating what a "disruption" such a shift in power would be:

Franken: "And the Republican governor of South Dakota would replace him with a fellow Republican, which he's allowed to do in that state. It would mean that the Senate goes 50-50. There's a tie-breaker here, and it belongs to the Vice President of the United States, the President of the Senate. And he's a Republican, of course, and that would mean that suddenly the majority, the majority power would go back to the Republicans which would be a major, major disruption. Even though the Democrats control the House of Representatives, a role of the Senate has always been to stop, to slow down the House and that would put the Republicans back in power. But that, of course, is all speculation, Miles."

Upon hearing this news, most Americans likely responded by saying a prayer for Senator Johnson. Wondering who is "more sincere," or speculating about the apocalyptic impact of his retirement, seems more than a little crass, even for CNN.

A transcript of both segments, which aired on December 14, follows:

7:32am

Miles O’Brien: "Democratic Senator Tim Johnson of South Dakota reported in critical condition now after brain surgery overnight in a Washington hospital. Johnson was rushed to the hospital yesterday after suffering stroke-like symptoms during a conference call with reporters. If Johnson can't serve in the new Congress, Democrats could lose their one-vote majority in the Senate. 'American Morning's' Bob Franken is here with us for more on the political implications. A little bit of speculation, but nonetheless, a lot of talk in Washington about this."

Bob Franken: "A lot of speculation. Of course, we don't know the ultimate prognosis. He's in medical hands right now, but that hasn't stopped the political hands from quickly engaging in down-home calculation. The speculation began almost immediately after word got out Johnson had been stricken at the end of a political conference call with South Dakota reporters."

Tim Johnson: "The money was proposed to be provided a year ago, second to -- you know -- it just is frustrating."

Franken: "If senator Johnson can no longer serve, and that's a big if, the balance of power in the Senate would turn upside down. It's as simple as that. Republicans would almost certainly take back the Senate that the Democrats had just wrenched from their control in last month's election."

John Mercurio (Hotline): "Democrats are expecting to come back to Capitol Hill in January in control of a legislative agenda. And this put a huge wrench in what Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are expected to try to accomplish in the first few--over the next two years."

Franken: "Tim Johnson, South Dakota is one of the states where the sitting governor chooses a replacement, without regard to party. Republican Governor Mike Rounds could be expected to appoint someone from his own party to fill the vacancy until the next election in two years. Instead of the 51/49 majority Democrats fought so hard to achieve, it would become 50/50, and the tie would be broken by the President of the Senate -- the Vice President of the United States, Dick Cheney. Of course, Democrats would still control the House, but the opposition party's newly gained power in Congress would suddenly be ripped in half by fate, and GOP senators would be able to protect their party's president from a full-scale assault. Without question, all the expressions of concern for Senator Johnson are very sincere, but I've got to say that the ones from the Democrats, Miles, are even more sincere."

O'Brien "Absolutely. Bob Franken, thank you very much."

8:32

Miles O’Brien: "Democratic Senator Tim Johnson of South Dakota in critical condition now after brain surgery overnight in Washington. Johnson apparently suffering a stroke yesterday in the midst of a conference call with reporters. If Johnson cannot serve in the new Congress, Democrats could lose their one vote majority in the Senate. ‘American Morning’s’ Bob Franken is here with more on the political ramifications. Good morning, Bob."

Bob Franken: "Good morning. And the Democrats are probably feeling star-crossed this morning while they're also concerned about the health, of course, of Senator Tim Johnson. But they have to worry that the very hard-fought victory, I mean really hard fought that brought them a 51 to 49 majority in the U.S. Senate would suddenly be taken away by fate, if it is a chance that the senator is replaced. And the Republican governor of South Dakota would replace him with a fellow Republican, which he's allowed to do in that state. It would mean that the Senate goes 50-50. There's a tie-breaker here, and it belongs to the Vice President of the United States, the president of the Senate. And he's a Republican, of course, and that would mean that suddenly the majority, the majority power would go back to the Republicans which would be a major, major disruption. Even though the Democrats control the House of Representatives, a role of the Senate has always been to stop, to slow down the House and that would put the Republicans back in power. But that, of course, is all speculation, Miles."

O’Brien: "And at this point, we really don't even know what happened to him or what the prognosis is. So yes, I imagine Democrats, you know, they're concerned about a colleague, but the political calculus is going on."

Franken: "Well, you know, it's interesting in Washington, I can tell you that everybody went through this thought process: It's really too bad about Senator Johnson. Now what's going to happen?"

http://newsbusters.org/node/9662

I agree with RSR, yet same can be said for some on the Right. They heard of the problem and thought, "Cheney will break ties."

For both sides of the sicko divide, the divisions ARE deep and regardless of the breakdown, there are Dems that are more 'conservative' and Reps. that are more 'liberal' than either argument argues.

Bottom line, someone that chose to serve their country, with a ''D" by their name and at minimum a moderate voting record is very sick and those that wish to exploit have some explaining to do.

I agree with RSR, yet same can be said for some on the Right. They heard of the problem and thought, "Cheney will break ties."

For both sides of the sicko divide, the divisions ARE deep and regardless of the breakdown, there are Dems that are more 'conservative' and Reps. that are more 'liberal' than either argument argues.

Bottom line, someone that chose to serve their country, with a ''D" by their name and at minimum a moderate voting record is very sick and those that wish to exploit have some explaining to do.

Lets not forget about the nitwits on "The View"

Transcript of The View’s Behar on the Senator's Stroke: 'Did Someone Do This to Him?'
Posted by Megan McCormack on December 14, 2006 - 15:39.
On Thursday’s edition of The View, the ladies, along with guest co-host Dari Alexander of Fox News, discussed Democratic Senator Tim Johnson’s emergency brain surgery and the potential political fallout. Alexander explained to the audience that if Johnson had to resign from the Senate, the Republican governor of South Dakota would pick an interim senator to fulfill the remainder of Johnson’s term, thereby creating the potential for an even split in the Senate between Democrats and Republicans. Joy Behar chimed in and put forth another tin foil hat worthy conspiracy theory:

Joy Behar: "Is there such a thing as a man-made stroke? In other words, did someone do this to him?"

Alexander joked that perhaps he had been given polonium, referencing the recent death of the former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko, who accused the Kremlin of poisoning him:

Dari Alexander: "Maybe they gave him polonium."

O’Donnell [laughing]: "Oh no, no."

Elisabeth Hasselbeck laughed off Behar’s ludicrous question, referring to her suggestion as a conspiracy theory, but Behar refused to back down:

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: "Let me ask you something. Why is everything coming from the liberal perspective a conspiracy? This is a conspiracy."

Behar: "I know what this–that party is capable of."

The full transcript of the exchange follows below:

Rosie O’Donnell: "His name is Senator Tim Johnson. He’s a Democrat, and sadly he, he was ill, and he’s had brain surgery. They think he may have had a stroke."

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: "Yes."

Alexander: "And the thing that is quite interesting about this, I think, is that it started this whole political brouhaha because, as you know, the Democrats took over in November by a 51-49 majority, and now if he has to resign, it will make things 50-50, because the governor of that state, who is a Republican, is in, in, he’s in charge of basically putting an interim person in there for, for Senate, and–"

Joy Behar: "Is there such a thing as a man-made stroke? In other words, did someone do this to him?"

Alexander: "Maybe they gave him polonium."

O’Donnell [laughing]: "Oh no, no."

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: "Let me ask you something. Why is everything coming from the liberal perspective a conspiracy? This is a conspiracy."

Behar: "I know what this–that party is capable of."

Hasselbeck: "Help us."

Alexander: "So, in any case, it started this whole political brouhaha, and you know, I think the thing that's really sad about this is that it takes a political angle when this guy is really critically ill."

Behar: "Yeah, we’re very sad that he’s critically ill, but there are millions and millions of people who depend upon this Congress. People in the world and people in this country. So it’s really–his, his illness is, is sad, but it's not as important in the overall scheme."

Alexander: "Well, that’s definitely true, but–"

Hasselbeck: "I guess it depends on what scheme you’re thinking of."

Behar: "Well, I'm thinking of, I’m thinking of human beings lives. That’s what I’m thinking of."

http://newsbusters.org/node/9660

It looks like the guy will be OK, or at least alive, and has indicated that he won't resign, even if he never makes it to the senate floor. The Dems will still have their majority, and Harry Reid doesn't have to visit him in the hospital anymore.

It looks like the guy will be OK, or at least alive, and has indicated that he won't resign, even if he never makes it to the senate floor. The Dems will still have their majority, and Harry Reid doesn't have to visit him in the hospital anymore.

Reid will visit him - as long as the press is called in advance so he can get his picture is on the front page of the Washington Compost

Forum List

Back