Medieval cookbooks and punch cards: the historian who has been creating the great culinary archive of the Internet for 50 years

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Barbara K. Wheaton’s (Philadelphia, 1931) first cookbook was The Joy of Cooking, by Irma Rombauer when we have the information. She bought it shortly after beginning her studies, spurred on by the human need to eat and the sudden discovery that she had no idea of cooking. He had had his first culinary adventure the night before: he boiled some potatoes. That copy was the first in a list as long as the universal history of gastronomy. Medieval cookbooks, housewives’ manuals, agricultural treatises, medical books and, in general, any work related to the task of producing, preparing and consuming food have passed through his hands. And with those same hands he has built what is called to be the great culinary library of the internet.

The Sifter -the colander- is the result of the last fifty years of work of this North American historian: a growing database that registers authors, names of recipes, techniques, ingredients of more than 7,000 books and that is now available online for consultation and Anyone’s contribution, in true Wikipedia style. “It contains ingredients and methods, and things related to cookbooks. But food has its roots in science, agriculture, religion, film, television, magazines … It is actually a database on the life, “says Wheaton, who has already turned 89, from the nursing home where he lives, now confined. The historian, seated in front of a shelf full of books, carefully holds the microphone on which she is reeling off her life project. The other faces on the video conference are those of two of his three children, Joe Wheaton and Catherine Saines, who have collaborated in the launch of the platform.

You guys have to check this out.

It's pretty dang cool!

Thank you! I love stuff like this!

I have a copy of "THE JOY OF COOKING"----which includes a detailed recipe for the preparation of
a ----dead bear-----for supper. I think it also includes
prep. of ------'possums and baby pigs

..I enjoy the simple things--like just a baked potato or a piece of bread...or soup .....
...I started reading about WW2 when I was young and it tells you a lot about starvation---things like coffee/sugar/eggs were not only in short supply, but a lot of times could not even be bought on the black market

I have a copy of "THE JOY OF COOKING"----which includes a detailed recipe for the preparation of
I have a copy of The Complete Greek Cookbook: The best from 3,000 years of cooking by Theresa Kara Yianilos that has a recipe for peacock and a one for camel.

I have a copy of The Complete Greek Cookbook: The best from 3,000 years of cooking by Theresa Kara Yianilos that has a recipe for peacock and a one for camel.

there are places in Israel (uhm----"greater israel" ) where one can obtain camel meat. ----considered
part of the muslim wedding feast

Barbara K. Wheaton’s (Philadelphia, 1931) first cookbook was The Joy of Cooking, by Irma Rombauer when we have the information. She bought it shortly after beginning her studies, spurred on by the human need to eat and the sudden discovery that she had no idea of cooking. He had had his first culinary adventure the night before: he boiled some potatoes. That copy was the first in a list as long as the universal history of gastronomy. Medieval cookbooks, housewives’ manuals, agricultural treatises, medical books and, in general, any work related to the task of producing, preparing and consuming food have passed through his hands. And with those same hands he has built what is called to be the great culinary library of the internet.

The Sifter -the colander- is the result of the last fifty years of work of this North American historian: a growing database that registers authors, names of recipes, techniques, ingredients of more than 7,000 books and that is now available online for consultation and Anyone’s contribution, in true Wikipedia style. “It contains ingredients and methods, and things related to cookbooks. But food has its roots in science, agriculture, religion, film, television, magazines … It is actually a database on the life, “says Wheaton, who has already turned 89, from the nursing home where he lives, now confined. The historian, seated in front of a shelf full of books, carefully holds the microphone on which she is reeling off her life project. The other faces on the video conference are those of two of his three children, Joe Wheaton and Catherine Saines, who have collaborated in the launch of the platform.

It's pretty dang cool!
I wonder if she's got the authentic recipe for Indian Pudding I've lost. Called for beef suet, so you need to live near a butcher who'll save some for you. That stuff they sell in the stores is for birdfeeders. Anyway, it was tremendous.

It's pretty dang cool!
I wonder if she's got the authentic recipe for Indian Pudding I've lost. Called for beef suet, so you need to live near a butcher who'll save some for you. That stuff they sell in the stores is for birdfeeders. Anyway, it was tremendous.
I ran a search and wound up with a lot of Indian from India hits.

But, one of my favorite sites is The Food Timeline. And they have an ask thing.
This is one of my favorite sites.

Forum List

Back