Mastercard, Visa suspend operations in Russia after invasion

night_son

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2018
The Full Moon

NEW YORK (AP) — Mastercard and Visa are suspending their operations in Russia, the companies said Saturday, in the latest blow to the country's financial system after its invasion of Ukraine.

Mastercard said cards issued by Russian banks will no longer be supported by its network and any card issued outside the country will not work at Russian stores or ATMs.

“We don't take this decision lightly,” Mastercard said in a statement, adding that it made the move after discussions with customers, partners and governments.

Visa said it's working with clients and partners in Russia to cease all Visa transactions over the coming days.

"We are compelled to act following Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, and the unacceptable events that we have witnessed,” Visa Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Al Kelly said in a statement.

Many other companies around the world have also made moves to increase the financial pressure on Russia and its people because of its attack on Ukraine.

"This war and the ongoing threat to peace and stability demand we respond in line with our values," Kelly said.

This sounds ominous. Is the West hellbent on pushing Russia into WW3? Most checking account debit cards are one of these two—Visa or Mastercard. Seems like bad times ahead for the average Russian citizen. Have credit card companies dropped entire nations in the past?

Looks like the whole world is trying to back them into a corner. I wonder if they'll get the response they are hoping for?

Hallelujah it's raining ICBMs. That response? I mean, even Gaddafi got to use his plastic, right?

NEW YORK (AP) — Mastercard and Visa are suspending their operations in Russia, the companies said Saturday, in the latest blow to the country's financial system after its invasion of Ukraine.

Mastercard said cards issued by Russian banks will no longer be supported by its network and any card issued outside the country will not work at Russian stores or ATMs.

“We don't take this decision lightly,” Mastercard said in a statement, adding that it made the move after discussions with customers, partners and governments.

Visa said it's working with clients and partners in Russia to cease all Visa transactions over the coming days.

"We are compelled to act following Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, and the unacceptable events that we have witnessed,” Visa Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Al Kelly said in a statement.

Many other companies around the world have also made moves to increase the financial pressure on Russia and its people because of its attack on Ukraine.

"This war and the ongoing threat to peace and stability demand we respond in line with our values," Kelly said.

This sounds ominous. Is the West hellbent on pushing Russia into WW3? Most checking account debit cards are one of these two—Visa or Mastercard. Seems like bad times ahead for the average Russian citizen. Have credit card companies dropped entire nations in the past?

Kind of shows you what they are prepared to do if someone ever decides you are a creditable threat ... :auiqs.jpg:

All these companies and world leaders are being very hypocritical.
When the U.S. attacked and invaded Iraq after 9/11 based on blatant lies.
Everything remained business as usual. .... :cool-45:

Shh, we're not supposed to say such things. Just joking. I love America; however, America can never do wrong—a policy and way of life which has led us into some real bad situations. We weren't supposed to question the pandemic, the 2020 race riots, the stolen elections . . . and now it's agree with them that Russia is evil . . . or else. I tend to be highly skeptical of mass agreement and communion on any one issue.

Shh, we're not supposed to say such things. Just joking. I love America; however, America can never do wrong—a policy and way of life which has led us into some real bad situations. We weren't supposed to question the pandemic, the 2020 race riots, the stolen elections . . . and now it's agree with them that Russia is evil . . . or else. I tend to be highly skeptical of mass agreement and communion on any one issue.
Point those things out and get accused of supporting Russia.
MSM propaganda is indistinguishable from government propaganda.
Welcome to the Brave New World.

Excellent.

Meanwhile we send pallets of cash to Iran.

I hope everyone is laying in the supplies they need.

Yeah, tons and tons of useless money..............
1646527434863.png

Yea, all of these crushing sanctions draw comparisons in my mind of Weimar Germany after WWI, and the world saw how that turned out. I really don't want to kick a battered and bruised dog who is already cornered, there has to be a judicial use of punishment.

Forum List

Back