Master Chef's Recipe Thread

Minute rice, Bro?

Come on man, that's a shortcut for a hack chef.

Give 'em real ingredients to work with.

If you're gonna do this, do it right!

Chef to chef......Just sayin'!:eusa_whistle:

I know, I know....but I am trying to do this for homemakers, not professionals
I think the average homemaker can handle a bag o' Bazmati.

I mean, we're not talking an infused Rissotto, here.:cool:

what is infused rissotto or is that just fancy talk for letting it soak up the broth?

i am still not sure about the rissotto.....i am gonna have to break down and go to a fancy place and have it

i would love a good ginger sauce recipe.....i love that stuff...from what i gather its a white sauce with ginger?
Here ya' go!

1 tbsp olive oil...not extra virgin.
1 tbsp Peeled fresh Ginger, minced or finely grated.
1 Clove minced garlic
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup whipping cream, not heavy cream.
2 Tbsp butter

Heat oil over high heat in saute pan, add garlic and ginger, saute until just fragrant, about 30-45 seconds...Add wine & vinegar, boil for about 2 minutes...Pull pan off heat (very important, or are your sauce will break), quickly stir in cream and butter until well incorporated, return to heat and boil until sauce just thickens to the point of coating the bottom of a spoon, about 3 minutes.......Straining sauce is optional.

Excellent with shrimp, scallops, crawfish, or any seafood.

Also, you can add a lil' cilantro when adding butter and cream, for a lil' different kick.

Last edited:
I know, I know....but I am trying to do this for homemakers, not professionals
I think the average homemaker can handle a bag o' Bazmati.

I mean, we're not talking an infused Rissotto, here.:cool:

what is infused rissotto or is that just fancy talk for letting it soak up the broth?

i am still not sure about the rissotto.....i am gonna have to break down and go to a fancy place and have it
It's about infusing different flavors into risotto, without murdering it with the flavors you wish to infuse.

There's no middle ground with Risotto...It's either excellent or it sucks.

Anytime I was interviewing a prep or line cook for a position, they had to cook......I would hand 'em a bag of Arborio, a Filet Mignon, and tell them I want infused, seared rare, with an accompying sauce and vegetable of their choice......If they could handle it, they got serious consideration. if they couldn't, they wouldn't get a second thought.

I've tasted as much bad Risotto and raw filet's as any chef instructor at any culinary school!

Last edited:
Recipes for:

RAT PIE
Take four medium-sized rats and lay them on the chopping board. Having First made sure the chopper is freshly sharpened, raise it as high above the first rat as you can. Make sure that the rat's neck is well exposed, then bring the chopper down with as much force as possible onto the neck or head of the rat. Then cook it in a pie.

RAT SOUFFLE
Make sure that the rat's squeals are not audible from the street, particularly in areas where the Anti-Souffle League and similar do-gooders are out to persecute the innocent pleasures of the table. Anyway, cut the rat down and lay it on the chopping-board. Raise the chopper high above your head, with the stell glinting in the setting sun, and then bring it down - wham! - with a vivid crunch - straight across the taut neck of the terrified rodent, and make it into a souffle.

http://reocities.com/SunsetStrip/amphitheatre/8707/rats.html

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5mkYcQmVSA]Bizarre Foods - Grilled Rat Thailand - YouTube[/ame]

Recipes for:

RAT PIE
Take four medium-sized rats and lay them on the chopping board. Having First made sure the chopper is freshly sharpened, raise it as high above the first rat as you can. Make sure that the rat's neck is well exposed, then bring the chopper down with as much force as possible onto the neck or head of the rat. Then cook it in a pie.

RAT SOUFFLE
Make sure that the rat's squeals are not audible from the street, particularly in areas where the Anti-Souffle League and similar do-gooders are out to persecute the innocent pleasures of the table. Anyway, cut the rat down and lay it on the chopping-board. Raise the chopper high above your head, with the stell glinting in the setting sun, and then bring it down - wham! - with a vivid crunch - straight across the taut neck of the terrified rodent, and make it into a souffle.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5mkYcQmVSA]Bizarre Foods - Grilled Rat Thailand - YouTube[/ame]

People in these parts eat a lot of squirrel. Squirrels are just rats with cute tails and better PR. I'd be willing to bet a cyber dollar that a lot of people ate rat during the great depression.

Recipes for:

RAT PIE

RAT SOUFFLE

People in these parts eat a lot of squirrel. Squirrels are just rats with cute tails and better PR. I'd be willing to bet a cyber dollar that a lot of people ate rat during the great depression.

I still don't mind grinding a good bit of rat now and them.

you did go to johnson and wales...so far what i have figured out about them.....they dont care what the quality of ingrediants is....they just add more salt....i like fresh as i can get food...

No I didn't go to J&W and I never said ingredients are not important. I implied that the quality of ingredients you use depend on what you are making. And sometimes fresh isn't the best way to go, believe it or not. If you are making raspberry sauce, for example, you will get a much better final product using berries that are just on the verge of rotten. This is because they have "over-ripened" and the flavor has developed more fully. Going back to apples, it makes no sense whatsoever to buy individually packaged fancy grade apples to make applesauce and again it will actually result in an inferior final product because of the flavor development in that particular grade of apple.

The decision of the ingredients would hinge on what you're using them for and the profile you're after.
Actually, there'd be a slew of other factors to consider, but......

Never mind that using such "over-ripened" berries in a sauce would simply push them past the rotten stage.
Unless you don't want your raspberry sauce to be SWEET.

:eusa_whistle:

Recipes for:

RAT PIE

RAT SOUFFLE

Sad-rat-small.jpg

Now that's just mean.

Recipes for:

RAT PIE

RAT SOUFFLE

Sad-rat-small.jpg

Now that's just mean.

Are you saying that you don't want to get eaten? :lol:

The last few posts have made me curious as to how a rat would taste as opposed to how a squirrel would taste, since they are both rodents. I've never tasted rat.

My favorite TV chef is Nigella Lawson. I love her recipes, they are both easy and tasty.

i would love a good ginger sauce recipe.....i love that stuff...from what i gather its a white sauce with ginger?
Here ya' go!

1 tbsp olive oil...not extra virgin.
1 tbsp Peeled fresh Ginger, minced or finely grated.
1 Clove minced garlic
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup whipping cream, not heavy cream.
2 Tbsp butter

Heat oil over high heat in saute pan, add garlic and ginger, saute until just fragrant, about 30-45 seconds...Add wine & vinegar, boil for about 2 minutes...Pull pan off heat (very important, or are your sauce will break), quickly stir in cream and butter until well incorporated, return to heat and boil until sauce just thickens to the point of coating the bottom of a spoon, about 3 minutes.......Straining sauce is optional.

Excellent with shrimp, scallops, crawfish, or any seafood.

Also, you can add a lil' cilantro when adding butter and cream, for a lil' different kick.

For our UK members, cilantro is coriander.

Ok so I'm baking tonight to mick fleetwood and go your own way. cinammon buns.

I'm not kidding here, if I knead at a different pace and I know baking is an art I have never achieved, seriously am I screwing up?

I know to get the room which is really hard to do out here at a certain temp, but do I have to get a roll with the kneading?

Forum List

Back