Marijuana to Blame for Increased Drug Use in 2009, Government Report Says

Bullfighter

Rookie
Jun 10, 2010
National Drug Control Policy Director Gil Kerlikowske
(Credit: JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images) A new government report blames increased marijuana use for an uptick in the overall use of illicit drugs among Americans.

The annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows the rate of illicit drug use rose from eight percent in 2008 to 8.7 percent in 2009. The survey also found increases in the use of ecstasy and methamphetamines.

Authorities are especially concerned about use of illicit drugs by young people. The survey by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration found 21.2 percent of young adults experimented with illegal drugs in 2009. The report says the trend "was also driven in large part by the use of marijuana."

National Drug Control Policy Director Gil Kerlikowske told CBS Radio News, young people are being exposed to "mixed messages" about marijuana including the idea that it is a medicine.

The "drug czar" said marijuana "may have properties that have medicinal values that should be tested" but he insisted it is not medicine.

Kerlikowske views marijuana as "an entry drug." The survey found that for the first time since 2002, less than half of young people believe using marijuana is harmful.

The Obama administration remains strongly opposed to legalization of marijuana.

CBSNews.com Special Report: Marijuana Nation
Coincidentally, the survey is being released as California voters consider a November ballot issue on legalizing pot.

Proponents believe the move would ease crowded court dockets and weaken Mexican drug cartels. Kerlikowske and many veteran former federal drug enforcement officials reject those ideas.

The president's drug adviser said it is a "false argument" to say marijuana legalization would reduce cartel violence in Mexico. Kerlikowske, a former police chief and undercover narcotics detective, noted, "Taking one small part of the (cartel) enterprise, marijuana away from them isn't going to change them."

He concedes the drug gangs south of the border can not be totally defeated but he believes "their impact and their violence can be reduced."

While the report emphasizes the detrimental effects of marijuana, Kerlikowske says abuse of prescription drugs rises to the top of his concerns because, "young people don't perceive them as dangerous or addictive."

He said the availability of prescription medications in home medicine cabinets often makes them widely available and attractive to young people. The non-medical use of prescription drugs notched up slightly to nearly three percent of the population.

The annual survey offered some encouraging news. It showed decreasing levels of tobacco use to a new low level of 23.3 percent. But the report warned, "The pace of improvement is stagnating."

The administration's drug control strategy emphasizes prevention and treatment along with law enforcement. Kerlikowske told CBS News, "We have had a focus of a criminal justice lens on drug abuse for quite a while." He added, "It should be a blend" that includes prevention and education.

The administration is seeking a 13 percent increase in funding for the federal drug abuse prevention effort.

The drug control policy chief rejects the term, "War on Drugs."

He said, "If we approach it with the same level of complexity that we approach things like cancer, I think we're better off than telling the American public, here's a bumper sticker to solve your problem."

The survey covers the transition year as President Obama took office. Next year's report will be the first true test of any initial results from the administration's approach to a drug abuse problem that has been a national challenge for decades.

Marijuana to Blame for Increased Drug Use in 2009, Government Report Says - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only way to stop the flow of illegal drugs into the US is to remove the franchisers that are here. Boot out the Mexicans and cut off the flow of illegal drugs. Simple.

And the Ghestapo right still supports the retarded war on pot. It's less dangerous than beer and will cost the right millions of votes in the next few election cycles. But republicans aren't exactly know for being smart.

And the Ghestapo right still supports the retarded war on pot. It's less dangerous than beer and will cost the right millions of votes in the next few election cycles. But republicans aren't exactly know for being smart.

Dream On, asshat.

p.s. Speaking of folks being "smart,"

ever heard of DICTIONARY.com or spell checker? :eusa_whistle:

The Obama administration remains strongly opposed to legalization of marijuana

Obama changed parties ?:eusa_whistle:

This is good news because it shows less reliance on harder drugs

Another example of why marajuana use should be legal

• Banned

And by the time you tax the hell out of it like cigarettes, it will cost more to light up than shoot heroin. Then, drug cartels will increase the prices of their supply because the US just increased the value of the product.

Boy, that was real smart!

Last edited:
  • Banned
This is good news because it shows less reliance on harder drugs

Another example of why marajuana use should be legal

Can you give us the names of people who smoke pot yet never took any other drug? They don't exist.

Rightwingtools want small government my ass.
Pot is way less dangerous than beer or cigarettes and is now prescribed for dozens of medical ailments by doctors.
you assholes on the right love wars of choice so I'm not upset you lose millions of votes on this issue.
It lines right up with your hate of minorities as the initial reason to ban was sold with racism.

Marijuana to Blame for Increased Drug Use in 2009, Government Report Says

So it says, but what is this based on? As far as I can tell it is based on the imagination of those writing the report.

Dream On, asshat.

Have you ever heard of proper capitalization and sentence structure?

Shut the fuck up.

Dream On, asshat.

sayeth one of the least intelligible and more psycho people on the board. :cuckoo:

now feel free to say what makes you think the racist trash O/P has a point other than on the top of his ugly, racist head.

Pot is way less dangerous than beer or cigarettes and is now prescribed for dozens of medical ailments by doctors.
you assholes on the right love wars of choice so I'm not upset you lose millions of votes on this issue.
It lines right up with your hate of minorities as the initial reason to ban was sold with racism.

Obama is a right wing tool ?

Seems the political right has it wrong yet again.

For all their belly aching about smaller, less intrusive government, they advocate the continuation of another of their failed policies: the criminalization of marijuana use.

Why is marijuana illegal now? What's the history of marijuana laws? And why must the government intrude into the personal life of its citizens?

Okay, well, check THIS out:

PRESCRIPTION DRUGS found to be THE Gateway Drug.

Yeah. We take scrips WAY before we could smoke herb, so my money's on THEM being the culprit.

NOW what? BAN prescription drugs?

You do realize that amphetamines were a prescription drug in the not-too-distant past, and that IF they were still available, a LOT of meth addicts would be under a doctor's care?

Obama is a right wing tool ?

Obama is f**ng hypocrite when it comes to pot. He jokingly mocked Clinton about not inhailing yet he shudders out of fear of republican reprisal should he do the right thing.

Okay, well, check THIS out:

PRESCRIPTION DRUGS found to be THE Gateway Drug.

Yeah. We take scrips WAY before we could smoke herb, so my money's on THEM being the culprit.

NOW what? BAN prescription drugs?

You do realize that amphetamines were a prescription drug in the not-too-distant past, and that IF they were still available, a LOT of meth addicts would be under a doctor's care?

Amphetamines are still prescribed to people for a multitude of disorders you fucking idiot.

if you cant debate fall back on grammar. assclowns
read people
in the thirties the government told us black and brown men would rape your white woman if allowed marijuana. Really you rightwing tools still buying that gov control. LOFL

Forum List

Back