Mandated breathalyzers in cars

I'm saying the government has no right to search your person with no probable cause. Forcing a person to take a breathalyzer test ( which is a search of his body) every time he gets into a car with absolutely no probable cause is a violation of the 4th Amendment.

You're arguing with a subject/slave of Canaduh. No Fourth Amendment, there, no vestige of a grasp of the sorts of rights and freedoms that we Americans recognize. A nation founded in shame and cowardice, in sucking the dick of the same tyrant whose ass we Americans kicked in order to establish our independence and sovereignty.

Way ahead you son, as usual.. :itsok:

Me neither, but having transmitted data vs. video of a driver's appearance is like having an email vs. talking to an answering machine ;)
and yet you still made an utter fool of yourself on your bumbling way to understanding

Under the Biden administration's $1 trillion infrastructure package, a mandate requires automakers to install new technology in vehicles to prevent motorists from driving intoxicated. As reported by the Associated Press, with the provision, Congress is pushing for the monitoring systems to begin rolling out in new vehicles no later than 2026.
Is it going to ensure you have a driver's license as well?

Had this discussion on a UK forum a few years ago. A breathalyser in a car might sound a great idea, but you wouldn't be able to start your car after rinsing your mouth out with mouth wash first thing in a morning.

OK here is the latest and greatest way the government wants to do something for your own good.

All new cars manufactured after 2026 are mandated to have alcohol detection systems.

Now is this going too far?

IMO your car is an extension of your home and the inside of that car is covered under the 4th Amendment protections.

If the government cannot mandate that your home has a breathalyzer installed that will not let you leave your house if you are drunk how can it be constitutional to place one in a car that will basically electronically perform a search of your body with zero probable cause?
You can sit in your car and drink all day long.
But the moment you put the keys in the ignition you're DUI.
That's the law in most states.
In many places just having the keys within reach will get you the DUI.

In the OP, the government isn't searching you or charging you with any crime. So, your complaint is not only without merit, it can be argued the government is trying to stay out of your business since the vehicle won't start if you're drunk there's no reason to check on a person drinking in one of these vehicles. No dui, no disorderly...If government intrusion is your bogeyman this rule should delight you.

Save lives
Reduce DUIs and arrests
all without government interference in your life.

Unless you're defending drinking and driving.

In the OP, the government isn't searching you or charging you with any crime. So, your complaint is not only without merit, it can be argued the government is trying to stay out of your business since the vehicle won't start if you're drunk there's no reason to check on a person drinking in one of these vehicles. No dui, no disorderly...If government intrusion is your bogeyman this rule should delight you.

Save lives
Reduce DUIs and arrests

I think I'll invest in a used car dealership. This will be another invasive statist shitshow.

Last edited:
OK here is the latest and greatest way the government wants to do something for your own good.

All new cars manufactured after 2026 are mandated to have alcohol detection systems.

Now is this going too far?

IMO your car is an extension of your home and the inside of that car is covered under the 4th Amendment protections.

If the government cannot mandate that your home has a breathalyzer installed that will not let you leave your house if you are drunk how can it be constitutional to place one in a car that will basically electronically perform a search of your body with zero probable cause?

That's unconstitutional

Save lives
Reduce DUIs and arrests

And this is how you allow your rights to be slowly eroded.

What's next?

If a cop says to you, "If you have nothing to hide why don't you let us search your house/" I bet you bend over don't you?

What's going to happen when your car won't start then you'll just get arrested for loitering

Carmakers are going to revolt over this one.
Most of the DUI technology focuses on alcohol instead of cannabis, fetanyl, or opiods. And the methodology is rather simplistic and dumb.

I know guys that have a girlfriend blow the breathalyzer in the truck for them to get the thing started so they can get to work in the morning. They are notorious for not working properly. It got so bad they had to start taking pictures of the person blowing.
So....I don't know if they can actually engineer one of these to actually work properly to begin with.

Because of the electronics in a car have replaced what are in essence electric motor controls. Difference is in the focus of the design.

Like a gas station is wired to not pump fuel unless conditions are perfect. A fire alarm is designed to go off the second conditions are not perfect. Cars are made to start their engines regardless of whether in perfect shape or not. And one system that defies that is counter to the whole system. A reverse engineering protocol.

If you don't have engine coolant or oil or dirty air filter or seat belt on...the car will start and operate. It will ding and buzz at you but it will run.
Now you have a device that will stop that because of a driver's inability to blow into a tube?
I don't see this working out well.

And this is how you allow your rights to be slowly eroded.

What's next?

If a cop says to you, "If you have nothing to hide why don't you let us search your house/" I bet you bend over don't you?

What's going to happen when your car won't start then you'll just get arrested for loitering
No one dies when you loiter.
People die when you drive drunk.

The "gubmint" isn't stopping you, the car is.
Call it "self defense" and be happy they're not giving the car a concealed carry permit.
THAT would stop lots of crime.

Call it "self defense" and be happy they're not giving the car a concealed carry permit.
I'm sure you get off on this kind of posturing, but you need to understand that it's exactly the kind of "we-know-betterism" that drives people to support an unhinged populist like Trump.

Driving at .08 BAL does not always result in someone dying in fact it hardly ever results in someone dying

I'm sure you get off on this kind of posturing, but you need to understand that it's exactly the kind of "we-know-betterism" that drives people to support an unhinged populist like Trump.
No, it is the inability to reason that drives people to support simplistic "build a wall" non-solutions that drive people to Trump.

We have draconian laws about drunk driving because drunk driving kills people and costs BILLIONS in medical and legal expenses.
This doesn't stop people from drinking.
It doesn't involve the government in people's private decisions.
It simply uses technology to protect everyone from what everyone agrees is a bad, stupid, decision.

If you are an actual conservative you should applaud this as it actually reduces government imposition on people's lives, reduces legal costs, reduces government paid medical costs, frees police to pursue real criminals...

But, again, it requires thinking beyond the end of your nose.

Driving at .08 BAL does not always result in someone dying in fact it hardly ever results in someone dying
And driving at .08 does, in fact, lead to drunk driving accidents.

You see not everyone has the same alcohol tolerance.
The legal BAL level was originally higher but they found that people with lower levels were having accidents because they had lower tolerances.

Personally, I can't understand defending drinking and driving.
If you want to kill yourself I fully support suicide.
But when you get in a car drunk you don't just kill yourself.

If you claim to be conservative you should be cheering this.
Reduces government involvement in your life
Reduces people arrested, incarcerated, and ruined for life for drinking
Reduces government paid health care for people injured in dui events...

If you don't have engine coolant or oil or dirty air filter or seat belt on...the car will start and operate. It will ding and buzz at you but it will run.

And ding always buzzes. Buckle up your ignore feature.

Statists presume that the government can prevent all bad things from happening, or at the very least should try. Even if it means prying into our bodies to assuage their worries. But they generally see people as property of the state anyway, so I guess it follows.

The cost of all the safety regulations in vehicles is around several thousand dollars. If we become poor enough a lot of this will be removed as to be more affordable if personal transportation is still around.

Forum List

Back