Mandated breathalyzers in cars

Hey maybe we can have the government require that you have to be video taped while you dress to make sure no one is concealing illegal weapons too it will cut down on murder right?
Hey, maybe it was you adamantly arguing for video taping teachers not too long ago. Hypocrite much?

Leaving your house while drunk is legal. Driving drunk is not. If the government can mandate the installation of minimal mph bumpers, safety belts, and air bag systems to improve public safety and reduce unnecessary damage, it can obviously mandate alcohol detection systems for similar purposes. Governments largely exist for this reason.

You are not being searched. You and the public are being protected from your potential negligence by manufacturer installed equipment, well worth the price where drunk driving persists. Your teenage kids go out partying on a Friday night. Suppose you wished to help prevent anyone getting killed due to their negligence while driving your car..
Being drunk in public is a crime in a lot of places. And I don't think the government can force you to take any test without probable cause or a warrant

Hey if you want to put one in your car so your kids don't drive drunk have at it. Why should the government have to force you to do that?

You pay for it and get it installed if you want to.

And I don't have kids and no one but me or my wife drive our cars.

Hey, maybe it was you adamantly arguing for video taping teachers not too long ago. Hypocrite much?

So what? There is no expectation of privacy in any public building.

There is in your car and your home.

So what? There is no expectation of privacy in any public building.
Yes, there is when one is arguing for parental access to video surveillance tapes like you did. The school has a right to monitor its employees within reason. It has no business extending access to nosy parents. Buildings have no inherent rights to privacy. People do, including students and teachers. Suppose teachers or school admins decided they should be able to watch how parents are raising their students? Same difference. Goes beyond reason.

Under the Biden administration's $1 trillion infrastructure package, a mandate requires automakers to install new technology in vehicles to prevent motorists from driving intoxicated. As reported by the Associated Press, with the provision, Congress is pushing for the monitoring systems to begin rolling out in new vehicles no later than 2026.
"Currently, some convicted drunken drivers must use breathalyzer devices attached to an ignition interlock, blowing into a tube and disabling the vehicle if their blood alcohol level is too high. The legislation doesn’t specify the technology, only that it must “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.”

Sam Abuelsamid, principal mobility analyst for Guidehouse Insights, said the most likely system to prevent drunken driving is infrared cameras that monitor driver behavior. That technology is already being installed by automakers such as General Motors, BMW and Nissan to track driver attentiveness while using partially automated driver-assist systems."

From your source.

"Currently, some convicted drunken drivers must use breathalyzer devices attached to an ignition interlock, blowing into a tube and disabling the vehicle if their blood alcohol level is too high. The legislation doesn’t specify the technology, only that it must “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.”

Sam Abuelsamid, principal mobility analyst for Guidehouse Insights, said the most likely system to prevent drunken driving is infrared cameras that monitor driver behavior. That technology is already being installed by automakers such as General Motors, BMW and Nissan to track driver attentiveness while using partially automated driver-assist systems."

From your source.

So what you maybe think it will be a blood analyzer where you have to do a finger stick?

What other way can they automate blood alcohol level detection in a car besides a breath test?

Yes, there is when one is arguing for parental access to video surveillance tapes like you did. The school has a right to monitor its employees within reason. It has no business extending access to nosy parents. Buildings have no inherent rights to privacy. People do, including students and teachers. Suppose teachers or school admins decided they should be able to watch how parents are raising their students? Same difference. Goes beyond reason.
No there isn't.

And this is way off topic so take this to another thread

If the governemnt is mandating this is cars then yes the government is forcing you to comply.
Baloney. Show everyone this law "forcing" you to own or drive a new car on public roads..
You and "reason" appear mutually exclusive.

Baloney. Show everyone this law "forcing" you to own or drive a new car on public roads..
You and "reason" appear mutually exclusive.

I pay for public roads so I get to use them.

There are public roads where only cars are allowed and people can't walk or ride a bike or a horse on them.

So, you can't show us any such law. Fine admission.
I never claimed there was a law did I asswipe?

The government mandating you take a breathalyzer without probable cause every time you get in your car is the issue.

So what you maybe think it will be a blood analyzer where you have to do a finger stick?

What other way can they automate blood alcohol level detection in a car besides a breath test?
No, I think that what you’ll probably end up with is OBD notifying the local law enforcement folks that there may be an impaired driver.

The other day I rented a car and that stuff was “turned on”. The steering wheel vibrated at times when I was changing lanes, passing slower cars, and even once when I was pulling back onto the road telling me that I hadn’t “rested” long enough.

In Canada, those who have been convicted of driving under the influence, are REQUIRED to install one of these units in their cars.

I like the idea. It will eliminate the need for police spot checks over the Christmas season, cut down on drunk driving, and save lives. Anyone who is blowing clean can drive their cars, and those who aren't, shouldn't be driving anyway.
So innocent until proven guilty You are presuming guilt until proven innocent.

Canadians, they will give up their right without an issue, hopefully America never gets that complacent.

Forum List

Back