Man recently arrested for abducting and indecent assault of young girl Should they hide his identity

imisslily

Sep 11, 2018
26 year old man arrested and charged after abducting and indecently assaulting a 7 year old girl

Okay this is massive news where I am from. This even made the news in the UK and some countries in Europe.

Summary
-26 year old man abducts a 7 year old girl who was doing Christmas shopping with her mother.
-Takes her into his SUV, drives to a secluded bush, assaults her indecently and then returns her to the shopping centre.
-CCTV footage + help from public allow police to find the man and he gets arrested
-For the first few days or weeks, they did NOT release the name of the man as requested by police and court members
-However, his face and crime and social media was shared all over social media, and now news websites are allowing his identity to be revealed

My question is, why do they hide the criminals identity if they are over 18? I have heard rumours that revealing their identity obstructs court justice, how does this work?

Name of rapist: Sterling Free (he uses Facebook too, but not sure if im allowed to share his page he has the below picture as his display picture)
1212sterlingfree9.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like that guy is guilty as sin, but if an accused person's identity is released, and he turns out to be not guilty, it might be hard to find jurors who aren't already convinced of his guilt just by seeing him in the news. If he is found guilty, there will be plenty of time to plaster his name all over the news later.

26 year old man arrested and charged after abducting and indecently assaulting a 7 year old girl

Okay this is massive news where I am from. This even made the news in the UK and some countries in Europe.

Summary
-26 year old man abducts a 7 year old girl who was doing Christmas shopping with her mother.
-Takes her into his SUV, drives to a secluded bush, assaults her indecently and then returns her to the shopping centre.
-CCTV footage + help from public allow police to find the man and he gets arrested
-For the first few days or weeks, they did NOT release the name of the man as requested by police and court members
-However, his face and crime and social media was shared all over social media, and now news websites are allowing his identity to be revealed

My question is, why do they hide the criminals identity if they are over 18? I have heard rumours that revealing their identity obstructs court justice, how does this work?

Name of rapist: Sterling Free (he uses Facebook too, but not sure if im allowed to share his page he has the below picture as his display picture)
1212sterlingfree9.jpg
Ugh. Really annoying ads and popups. No thanks.

I thought that people's identity wasn't to be hidden unless they are under 18 years of age.

God bless you and the monster's victim always!!!

Holly

Summary

1212sterlingfree9.jpg
If he’s found guilty not only will his name be released, he'll be forced to tell people what he’s done. If he ever makes it out of prison, anyways.

Summary

1212sterlingfree9.jpg
Don’t know. Similar situation here. A cop shot the wrong man at a mall on Black Friday; and the police won’t reveal the name of the public servant who pulled the trigger...

Sounds like that guy is guilty as sin, but if an accused person's identity is released, and he turns out to be not guilty, it might be hard to find jurors who aren't already convinced of his guilt just by seeing him in the news. If he is found guilty, there will be plenty of time to plaster his name all over the news later.

That simply makes sense. If someone is wrongly accused, his life can be ruined for no good reason.

Summary

1212sterlingfree9.jpg
Until he is convicted he is an alleged rapist. Plastering his details everywhere may prevent him getting a fair trial. We are all innocent until proven guilty.

Forum List

Back