Man gets life in prison after 10th DUI conviction

Why should it only be when it causes an accident? Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean it's OK to overlook the action.
Because the law distinguishes the severity of being unsafe vrs actually causing mayhem and it should make such distinctions.

Must mean those making the laws haven't had someone they loved killed by a drunk driver.
Not necessarily.

We all do unsafe things and we would all be in jail if we completely criminalized all unsafe conduct.

There's a difference between doing unsafe things that could affect you and unsafe thins that could affect someone else. If you do something unsafe and only you could get hurt, I don't care what you do because you made the unsafe choice. When your unsafe action puts others who have no choice in the matter at risk, it's different. Are you saying you think it's OK for someone else to do something unsafe if it could harm you and you'd rather something happen before action to stop it takes place?

There's a difference between doing unsafe things that could affect you and unsafe thins that could affect someone else. If you do something unsafe and only you could get hurt, I don't care what you do because you made the unsafe choice. When your unsafe action puts others who have no choice in the matter at risk, it's different. Are you saying you think it's OK for someone else to do something unsafe if it could harm you and you'd rather something happen before action to stop it takes place?
No harm, no foul, yes sir.

Otherwise it is simply a poor excuse to let the government stick their fucking noses into everyones private business.

There will never be a 100% safe society and the things we would have to give up in pursuit of such idiocy is far more precious than any amount of safety that could be gained.

No harm, no foul, yes sir.

Otherwise it is simply a poor excuse to let the government stick their fucking noses into everyones private business.

There will never be a 100% safe society and the things we would have to give up in pursuit of such idiocy is far more precious than any amount of safety that could be gained.

When your actions have a real potential of harming others, it's no longer private business. If you want to wave a loaded gun around inside your own house, go for it. If you go outside and start waving it around, it becomes a public matter whether you actually harm someone or not.

So you'd rather some innocent person get shot instead of stopping the public problem before it happens?

We can only hope when something happens that you chose not to address it's either you or your family that is in the wrong place instead of someone that would solved it before it happens.

When your actions have a real potential of harming others, it's no longer private business. If you want to wave a loaded gun around inside your own house, go for it. If you go outside and start waving it around, it becomes a public matter whether you actually harm someone or not.

Agreed, and the proof of that is the deed itself not some notion of pre-crimes. Besides, waving around a gun doesnt cause it go off, you know that, right? Unless the poor scared shitless dweeb is verbally threatened there is no harm.

So you'd rather some innocent person get shot instead of stopping the public problem before it happens?

Never said that. Most likely a person will fire shots unsafely and can then be arrested for illegal discharge of a fire arm before anyone gets shot.

We dont need people having their lives ruined with felony convictions for doing nothing harmful.

We can only hope when something happens that you chose not to address it's either you or your family that is in the wrong place instead of someone that would solved it before it happens.
Lol, thats great, wish harm on me and my family because I dont want a fascist government looking up my ass all day.

Fine form there, Cupid.

Agreed, and the proof of that is the deed itself not some notion of pre-crimes. Besides, waving around a gun doesnt cause it go off, you know that, right? Unless the poor scared shitless dweeb is verbally threatened there is no harm.

Never said that. Most likely a person will fire shots unsafely and can then be arrested for illegal discharge of a fire arm before anyone gets shot.

We dont need people having their lives ruined with felony convictions for doing nothing harmful.

Lol, thats great, wish harm on me and my family because I dont want a fascist government looking up my ass all day.

Fine form there, Cupid.

I don't wish harm to come to anyone. I said that when something happens better it happen to someone who chose not to address the potential harm than someone who would address it.

But, rape a child and get probation; murder someone and get 10 years. Get some DUIs? Oh, that motherfucker's going away for life!

Hey...it makes perfect sense!

I don't wish harm to come to anyone. I said that when something happens better it happen to someone who chose not to address the potential harm than someone who would address it.
Well, you do realize that is who usually gets hurt; the careless people who do things unsafely.

That is my point; if something is unsafe the idiot doing the stupid thing will most likely pay the price for their stupidity.

But all too often people who want to lead a Crusade and politicians that pander to them will remove some of our rights in the name of the Common Good when there is no true danger to begin with.

Seen it way too many times. The only gainer is the government taking in more revenue.

So you loony libertarians now say drunk driving should be legal!!!

But, rape a child and get probation; murder someone and get 10 years. Get some DUIs? Oh, that motherfucker's going away for life!

You make it sound like drunk drivers routinely get locked up. Fact is very very few DUIs do any prison time. THINK

You make it sound like drunk drivers routinely get locked up. Fact is very very few DUIs do any prison time. THINK

Drunk drivers go to jail everyday. No trial, no evidence, no probable cause, no presumption of innocence. Refuse a sobriety test and see what happens.

And, now, some clown wants to lower the legal limit to .05. You could rinse with mouth wash and blow a .05.

So you loony libertarians now say drunk driving should be legal!!!

I think someone should have to actually be drunk. Someone that's had a few beers shouldn't have life ruined.

Drunk drivers go to jail everyday. No trial, no evidence, no probable cause, no presumption of innocence. Refuse a sobriety test and see what happens.

And, now, some clown wants to lower the legal limit to .05. You could rinse with mouth wash and blow a .05.

Simple solution. Stop drinking alcohol period.

Stop trying to force your beliefs on the rest of us. An even simpler solution.

People don't have their life ruined over one DUI conviction. Stop being a criminal coddler.

Tell that to a CDL driver who loses his license because he had one drink.

And he knew that would happen if he drove drunk and yet he still did it. Sorry - i have no sympathy for the idiot.

I already knew that, but you're another example of why Liberals are so dangerous to our society.

BTW, one drink isn't "drunk".

My daughter was hit by a drunk driver. Fortunately, she saw him coming and took evasive action to limit the impact. It doesn't matter that he was drunk or sober. I wanted to beat him with the tire iron he was using to change his flat tire after the accident when the cops caught him.
DUI laws are nothing but a scheme to take people's money.

Sounds like you may have a resentment after a DUI Muhammed ? :laugh:
Wrong. I've just studied the subject and found out what a scam it is. And the only time I've been on a jury was a DUI case. (can you say jury nullification).

I also think it is wrong to arrest people for thought crimes.

DUI laws are predicated on the assumption that at an unspecified time in the future, at an unspecified location, you will cause unspecified harm or damage to an unspecified person(s) or property.

That is a serious assault on liberty.

Having a drivers license is a privilege and being behind a car when drunk makes the car a weapon.
I myself have driven drunk in my 20's and thank God I didn't kill anyone. You feel invincible when your younger.

Arresting someone drunk is not a thought crime..the person is abusing the privilege just like texting or any distraction.

Just like arresting a dumb drunk person in public, they are abusing the freedom to drink and could hurt themselves or another.
Bullshit!

You are so full of shit that it is squeezing out of your head like playdough.

My daughter was hit by a drunk driver. Fortunately, she saw him coming and took evasive action to limit the impact. It doesn't matter that he was drunk or sober. I wanted to beat him with the tire iron he was using to change his flat tire after the accident when the cops caught him.
DUI laws are nothing but a scheme to take people's money.

Sounds like you may have a resentment after a DUI Muhammad ? :laugh:
Wrong. I've just studied the subject and found out what a scam it is. And the only time I've been on a jury was a DUI case. (can you say jury nullification).

I also think it is wrong to arrest people for thought crimes.

DUI laws are predicated on the assumption that at an unspecified time in the future, at an unspecified location, you will cause unspecified harm or damage to an unspecified person(s) or property.

That is a serious assault on liberty.

Having a drivers license is a privilege and being behind a car when drunk makes the car a weapon.
I myself have driven drunk in my 20's and thank God I didn't kill anyone. You feel invincible when your younger.

Arresting someone drunk is not a thought crime..the person is abusing the privilege just like texting or any distraction.

Just like arresting a dumb drunk person in public, they are abusing the freedom to drink and could hurt themselves or another.
Bullshit!

You are so full of shit that it is squeezing out of your head like playdough.
muhammad-clown.gif

Stop trying to force your beliefs on the rest of us. An even simpler solution.
drinking is fine. I personally have not had a drink in a year and a half, the occasion has not come up to drink since then. and then it was only a glass of wine at a wedding. But I digress.
forcing someone to quit drinking because of my beliefs is certainly wrong, however forcing them not to drive after drinking is in my best interest.
just like guns. Telling me I cant have one is forcing your belief on me and wrong. Telling me I cant point it at another human is in your best interest.

Forum List

Back