Man Eaten By Tiger At Indian Zoo

Wow! That is so brutal. I think you're right about the lack of response to an obvious emergency. You would think they would have measures in place in case a person falls in or whatever. That is a shame.

That's what gets me about it though. They did.

They had plenty of time to use them too.

Apparently, they just didn't give enough of a shit to use them. Pretty messed up, if you ask me.

Yeah, you really can't blame the animal. He was just doing what comes naturally to him. He may not have even meant to kill the guy.

That's true. You can tell from the video that it didn't even really know what to do.

It was toying with him more than anything else.

Well, I wonder who dropped the ball then? I can't see them just "letting" this happen when they know that it's a zoo with families and children in attendance. Geez, talk about a traumatizing day at the zoo for the kiddies!!! Did they even know it was happening? I'm thinking someone was "napping" on the job or something.

Yup, I don't blame the tiger at all. He might have thought that guy was a toy for him to play with. He didn't seem to keen on eating him.

I dunno. It might've simply been the case that they were more worried about hurting the tiger with the darts than saving the man.

According to the report I saw, there was a shed with tranquilizer guns just a few hundred feet away. The tiger also spent almost twenty minutes just staring at the guy before it actually attacked.

Somebody must have known what was going on.

Doesn't mean it was safe to go in to the enclosure.

I've rehabbed bobcats and cougars. Chances are, the tiger viewed the body as half-eaten prey. No way would I go in under these circumstances.

Besides, the damage was done. I would not agree with risking more lives just to drag out remains.

That's why they have tranq guns. The tiger doesn't seem to have ever left open ground, so they easily could have hit it.

Again, what I'm betting happened here is that the greedy fucks weren't willing to risk overdosing the cat with tranquilizer and losing their precious tourist attraction, so they just stood-by and let this guy die.

Very possibly true but I doubt it would be that cold blooded a decision.

That's why they have tranq guns. The tiger doesn't seem to have ever left open ground, so they easily could have hit it.

Again, what I'm betting happened here is that the greedy fucks weren't willing to risk overdosing the cat with tranquilizer and losing their precious tourist attraction, so they just stood-by and let this guy die.

Very possibly true but I doubt it would be that cold blooded a decision.

True.

They probably just wanted to feed the cat for free.

The tiger was just curious at first. He stood there ears back and tail lashing. That's indecision. "Who are you and what are you doing here?" The man was acting like prey. The tiger knows that people are not prey. He was waiting for a cue. Like he gets from the zoo keepers. At that point instead of sitting, yelling and waiving his arms around the man probably could have gotten up and walked off. Instead he did the wounded gazelle thing.
If he had just taken an 18 foot fall, perhaps he was wounded; although, I think you're right about his acting like prey. If the human had simply extended one hand, allowing the cat to decide if he wanted his ears scratched, the outcome might have been different.
I honestly hope no one ever tries it. There are some tigers that would work. Some it wouldn't. That's a big chance to take. The tiger did not immediately seem inclined to attack. The tiger just batted at the guy with a paw. I wasn't there but cat behavior is that if the tiger was batting with a soft paw (no claws) a scratch behind the ears might be called for. If the claws were out the man could have stood up, stretched his arms over his head to make himself look bigger and just walked away. The tiger didn't look particularly hungry. Even when he dragged the man off, he was still alive. The tiger dragged that guy all over that pen still alive. Then of course the tiger being a tiger killed him. There were people screaming which might have helped spook that tiger.
Screaming would be bad enough, but apparently some who visit the zoo in India like to toss rocks at the wildlife. It would be interesting to know this particular cat's relationship with the humans responsible for its care, and also the extent of the human's injuries after his fall.

Ha! That is funny as hell!
r-TIGER570-large570.jpg

The tiger was just curious at first. He stood there ears back and tail lashing. That's indecision. "Who are you and what are you doing here?" The man was acting like prey. The tiger knows that people are not prey. He was waiting for a cue. Like he gets from the zoo keepers. At that point instead of sitting, yelling and waiving his arms around the man probably could have gotten up and walked off. Instead he did the wounded gazelle thing.
If he had just taken an 18 foot fall, perhaps he was wounded; although, I think you're right about his acting like prey. If the human had simply extended one hand, allowing the cat to decide if he wanted his ears scratched, the outcome might have been different.
I honestly hope no one ever tries it. There are some tigers that would work. Some it wouldn't. That's a big chance to take. The tiger did not immediately seem inclined to attack. The tiger just batted at the guy with a paw. I wasn't there but cat behavior is that if the tiger was batting with a soft paw (no claws) a scratch behind the ears might be called for. If the claws were out the man could have stood up, stretched his arms over his head to make himself look bigger and just walked away. The tiger didn't look particularly hungry. Even when he dragged the man off, he was still alive. The tiger dragged that guy all over that pen still alive. Then of course the tiger being a tiger killed him. There were people screaming which might have helped spook that tiger.
Screaming would be bad enough, but apparently some who visit the zoo in India like to toss rocks at the wildlife. It would be interesting to know this particular cat's relationship with the humans responsible for its care, and also the extent of the human's injuries after his fall.

One of the links states that the cat didn't get aggressive until he was pelted by rocks.

c'mon?

Who doesn't like to "toss rocks at the wildlife?" Is there really any other purpose for a zoo?

The wise make sure they remain OUTSIDE the cage whilst rock-tossing.

One of the links states that the cat didn't get aggressive until he was pelted by rocks.
If animals locked down inside Indian zoos are regularly abused by rock throwing idiots, maybe this cat finally got a chance for a little pay-back? I think we have to know how badly the victim was injured before we can gauge the tiger's reactions.

c'mon?

Who doesn't like to "toss rocks at the wildlife?" Is there really any other purpose for a zoo?

Well...it goes without saying zoos were created to abuse wild animals.:ack-1:

Do you happen to recall a similar incident a few years ago in the US? I think it was San Francisco (New Year's Eve?) The incident I recall culminated with the tiger escaping her enclosure and tracking down her tormentors.

c'mon?

Do you happen to recall a similar incident a few years ago in the US? I think it was San Francisco (New Year's Eve?) The incident I recall culminated with the tiger escaping her enclosure and tracking down her tormentors.

No but this does remind me of that queer German magician in Las Vegas who annoyed his pet white tiger once too many times.

The cat then suddenly lunged at Mr Horn, who turned 59 that day, grabbing him by the left side of the neck.
The magician responded by trying unsuccessfully to beat the tiger off with his microphone, shouting "No, no".
Backstage staff rushed to try to rescue Mr Horn, but were unable to help.
When the tapping on the animal's nose failed, Mr Horn tried to wedge the microphone into the tiger's mouth to force its jaws apart. But this was unsuccessful too and the magician dropped to the floor and was dragged off stage by the animal.

BBC NEWS Entertainment Mauled magician critical but stable

Last edited:
Zoo animals are known for having pretty short fuses. Has to do with lives of quiet desperation interspersed with occasionally being drugged to have their sperm taken.

If you lived in a tiny little boring enclosure, same crappy food, day in and day out, idiots yelling at you to perform some stupid trick to entertain them and suddenly, a new toy fell in front of you, your reaction would likely be the same.

c'mon?

No but this does remind me of that queer German magician in Las Vegas who annoyed his pet white tiger once too many times.
That magician got what he deserved; what happened to that tiger?

"SAN FRANCISCO --
On Christmas, it will be five years since the deadly tiger attack at the San Francisco Zoo. Tatiana, a 320 pound Siberian tiger, killed one person and injured two others that night, after making an amazing escape from the Tiger Grotto.

"ABC7 News reporter Vic Lee was the first reporter to respond; he talked to the father of the victim and with one of the officers who shot and killed Tatiana.

"Even in death, it's hard to miss Tatiana. She now graces the front entrance of the zoo.

"Her former home, the tiger grotto, is still there. But it now has a glass enclosure, an electrified fence and signs that warn spectators not to taunt the tigers.

"Although it was never proven, investigators believe Tatiana was provoked into leaping and clawing her way out of the grotto, killing 17-year-old Carlos Sousa Jr. and mauling his friends, Paul and Kulbir Dhaliwal."

http://abc7news.com/archive/8931297/

c'mon?

Died of Old age at 17

Man mauled to death by white tiger in Delhi Zoo - Telegraph

Man mauled to death by white tiger in Delhi Zoo

0.jpg

A young man has been mauled to death by a white tiger in an enclosure at a New Delhi zoo as staff and visitors watched on in horror.

According to eye witnesses, the man, believed to be 20 years old and named Maqsood, jumped a low barrier before scaling the enclosure’s safety wall to take photographs on his phone or throw stones at the endangered cat.

He then fell 18 feet, landed in a dry moat and within a few minutes was cowering on his haunches as the large white tiger stood over him.

Photographs appeared to show the man with his hands folded in a traditional Indian prayer gesture. Other eyewitnesses said the tiger did not attack until some visitors threw stones at him.

It is not clear whether the stones were thrown at the tiger to help the victim or to goad the animal, a common occurence in Indian zoos where little respect is shown to the animals.

“As he landed inside the enclosure, he saw the animal coming towards him,” one eyewitness told the Hindu newspaper.

“He sat with folded hands for the next few minutes as the animal kept watching him. Then all of a sudden, the tiger caught him by the neck and kept dragging before attacking with its claw.”

Other witnesses told local television channels they heard the victim’s screams and ran to the enclosure where they saw the man writhing “badly in pain” in the tiger’s jaws.

Officials did not attempt to rescue him and the man’s body remained in the enclosure for two hours after the attack. Police have since launched an investigation.

Zoo spokesman Riyaz Khan said police were investigating how the young man got into the enclosure.
“Apparently the boy has climbed the fencing and either jumped or fell into the enclosure and was attacked by the tiger,” he said.

“Our staff regularly move and caution the crowds from getting near the enclosures and they were doing it today also.”

Belinda Wright, India’s leading tiger conservationist, said the tiger should not be blamed for the incident.
“The tiger was just being a tiger. An unusual object fell into his domain... He’s a wild animal in captivity. It is certainly not the tiger’s fault”, she said.

Sources claim he was drunk. I can't believe that no one tried to help him, though, or that the zoo waited two hours before retrieving the body.

That pretty clearly needs to be investigated.

There were supposedly tranquiler guns just a few hundred feet away from the enclosure, and the stare-down lasted for almost twenty minutes before the tiger attacked. It sounds like they simply didn't care enough to try and save him.

Wow! That is so brutal. I think you're right about the lack of response to an obvious emergency. You would think they would have measures in place in case a person falls in or whatever. That is a shame.

That's what gets me about it though. They did.

They had plenty of time to use them too.

Apparently, they just didn't give enough of a shit to use them. Pretty messed up, if you ask me.

"'The tiger was just being a tiger. An unusual object fell into his domain... He’s a wild animal in captivity. It is certainly not the tiger’s fault', she said."

I say we give the tiger a sentence of time served?

Yeah, you really can't blame the animal. He was just doing what comes naturally to him. He may not have even meant to kill the guy.

That's true. You can tell from the video that it didn't even really know what to do.

It was toying with him more than anything else.

Well, I wonder who dropped the ball then? I can't see them just "letting" this happen when they know that it's a zoo with families and children in attendance. Geez, talk about a traumatizing day at the zoo for the kiddies!!! Did they even know it was happening? I'm thinking someone was "napping" on the job or something.

Yup, I don't blame the tiger at all. He might have thought that guy was a toy for him to play with. He didn't seem to keen on eating him.

I dunno. It might've simply been the case that they were more worried about hurting the tiger with the darts than saving the man.

According to the report I saw, there was a shed with tranquilizer guns just a few hundred feet away. The tiger also spent almost twenty minutes just staring at the guy before it actually attacked.

Somebody must have known what was going on.

It's a strange story. Tiger worth a lot of money? :D

"'The tiger was just being a tiger. An unusual object fell into his domain... He’s a wild animal in captivity. It is certainly not the tiger’s fault', she said."

That was the impression I got from watching the video. The cat seemed curious about the interloper, and possibly only wanted to play initially. I suppose it would also depend on how many rocks the tiger was hit with during the encounter.

I vaguely recall a similar incident in the US (SF?) a few years ago where drunks were tossing objects at a tiger in her pen, and she got out and evened the score before being shot to death.

I remember that story too. They were tormenting the tiger. People are just ignorant jerks sometimes.

c'mon?

Died of Old age at 17

I think it's kind of wrong to keep large animals like that in captivity, tigers, lions, elephants. It's kind of cruel. I remember there was a zoo I used to go to that had an elephant that was chained by it's foot in a small barn (small for an elephant anyway). I always felt kind of sad seeing the elephant like that. It was the only elephant, and elephants are social creatures. The zoo is quite depressing sometimes, actually.

In human terms, most every zoo animal (animals on display for the public) are clinically insane. It's a wonder they don't routinely leap out of their enclosures and run amok. If you're being leered and gawked at, pointed and gestured at, having people making eye contact with you (an aggressive display to many animals,) and being taunted and shouted to every day of your life, you'd go insane too.

If some moron jumps in...The result's predictable.

In human terms, most every zoo animal (animals on display for the public) are clinically insane. It's a wonder they don't routinely leap out of their enclosures and run amok. If you're being leered and gawked at, pointed and gestured at, having people making eye contact with you (an aggressive display to many animals,) and being taunted and shouted to every day of your life, you'd go insane too.

That's true. Just watch the constant, stereotypical pacing. They are indeed insane.

That was the impression I got from watching the video. The cat seemed curious about the interloper, and possibly only wanted to play initially. I suppose it would also depend on how many rocks the tiger was hit with during the encounter.

I vaguely recall a similar incident in the US (SF?) a few years ago where drunks were tossing objects at a tiger in her pen, and she got out and evened the score before being shot to death.

I remember that story too. They were tormenting the tiger. People are just ignorant jerks sometimes.
The tiger's name was Tatiana, and her fate was not a kind one:

"San Francisco Police Ofc. Chris Oshita was one of the officers who shot and killed the tiger. He later received a medal of valor.

"'I've never personally seen a tiger maul a human in my life and that's something I'll never forget,' said Oshita.

"Oshita and his partner were among the first to respond to the radio call. They saw paramedics by the tiger pit working on Sousa. Then they rushed to another call -- a second victim was outside the Terrace Cafe.

"'He's in a seated position; he's bleeding profusely and the tiger is sitting at his feet, kind of guarding him, just sitting there,' Oshita said.

"Oshita and his partner came out of the car, yelling and screaming, trying to divert the tiger away from one of the Dhaliwal brothers.

"Tatiana suddenly veered toward them.

"When she was about 20 yards away, Oshita decided to fire his handgun.

"The first shot struck Tatiana in the chest but she kept coming."

It was never legally established the victims enraged the cat by throwing things at her, but, according to eyewitnesses, Tatiana deliberately ignored all humans after she escaped her enclosure except the three drunks who (apparently) set the whole sorry tale in progress.

http://abc7news.com/archive/8931297/

That's true. Just watch the constant, stereotypical pacing. They are indeed insane.

It really Takes One to Know One.

Thanks for the expert perspective.

Forum List

Back