Make your computer faster

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
No I'm not advertising some scam BS and no it won't work on EVERY computer. This is for those who might be interested.

The one thing that will really speed up your computer across the board is to replace your old hard drive (HDD) with a solid state drive (SSD) and it's really not as hard as most think it is.
SSDs have no moving parts so they last longer than HDDs
Boot and click response (load) times are dramatically faster with SSDs
SSDs are lighter than HDDs
The only real drawback is SSDs are more expensive than HDDs

The biggest challenges that comes up first is which SSD do I need AND can my old hard drive be switched out easily. With some of the post 2008 notebooks the answer is no as the notebook cases are sealed, turning the notebook or laptop over will show if there are access panels or not. With a desktop it's much easier unless it's an all in one (computer built into the monitor). For most laptops/notebooks the 2.5" SSD will typically fit with a very few exceptions, for desktops the 3.5" SSD will be easier to install as no extra caddy is needed.

Needless to say if you have a very old (PATA) computer then you're out of luck.

How to Upgrade Your Laptop’s Hard Drive to an SSD | Laptop Mag

How Do You Replace HDD with SSD on Desktop in Windows 10/8/7?
AOMEI is one that I've used, there's a 30 day free trial period so one can use it then uninstall it at no cost. It's also quite simple.

Last edited:
Most of the new computers come standard with an SSD boot drive. At least 10 times faster.

I took this route...

iu

Not true. There are SSD with the old IDE interface for old computers available.

Otherwise, the higher you are the faster your computer will become, just drop it.
Okay but how much faster will a PATA SSD be? Is it worth the expense?
For a laptop it might be as the SSD will still use less battery power with no moving parts.

I installed a new Hard Drive last year and windows 10 and my PC is faster than ever....don't ask me what kind it was I didn't do it my IT guy did....and my PC is over ten years old....works like new...

Otherwise, the higher you are the faster your computer will become, just drop it.
It should. SSD are not only superior in terms of write and reading speed but also the access times are much shorter. This will make Windows much faster.

It should. SSD are not only superior in terms of write and reading speed but also the access times are much shorter. This will make Windows much faster.
Was wondering because SATA is faster than PATA and eSATA is faster than SATA. Was thinking cost to benefit ratio of adding an SSD to a PATA connect, if the speed would be high enough due to PATA's limitations.

For those who are trying to figure what we are talking about, PATA (Parallel ATA) is old tech, the wide "ribbon" connecting the drives to the main board.

iu

SATA (Serial ATA) replaced PATA ribbons.

iu

Was wondering because SATA is faster than PATA and eSATA is faster than SATA. Was thinking cost to benefit ratio of adding an SSD to a PATA connect, if the speed would be high enough due to PATA's limitations.
The SSD will be faster than the PATA interface but again SSDs are also about the access times. Windows accesses the drive many times a day.

Advantages of SSD over HDD

The SSD will be faster than the PATA interface but again SSDs are also about the access times. Windows accesses the drive many times a day.

Advantages of SSD over HDD
I know how they work but each connection is limited, a choke point so to speak, transfer speeds can only be as fast as the ATA connection even if one is using eSATA (external drive connection) or NVMe tech, much faster but still limited to their respective data transfer speeds.

If your computer has a PCIe slot you can install the SSD there with an adapter. I did that with my 2008 Mac Pro tower because the built in SATA was only SATAII whereas with the bootable PCIe adaptor I get the full SATAIII speed. My 12 year old Mac is now as fast as greased lightning! :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:

If your computer has a PCIe slot you can install the SSD there with an adapter. I did that with my 2008 Mac Pro tower because the built in SATA was only SATAII whereas with the bootable PCIe adaptor I get the full SATAIII speed. My 12 year old Mac is now as fast as greased lightning! :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:
I rebuilt both of my desktops, they're both running NVMe M.2 SSDs........ Now that's fast!!!!

Forum List

Back