Make your computer faster

Not true. There are SSD with the old IDE interface for old computers available.

Otherwise, the higher you are the faster your computer will become, just drop it.
Okay but how much faster will a PATA SSD be? Is it worth the expense?
It should. SSD are not only superior in terms of write and reading speed but also the access times are much shorter. This will make Windows much faster.
Was wondering because SATA is faster than PATA and eSATA is faster than SATA. Was thinking cost to benefit ratio of adding an SSD to a PATA connect, if the speed would be high enough due to PATA's limitations.
If your computer has a PCIe slot you can install the SSD there with an adapter. I did that with my 2008 Mac Pro tower because the built in SATA was only SATAII whereas with the bootable PCIe adaptor I get the full SATAIII speed. My 12 year old Mac is now as fast as greased lightning! :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:
I rebuilt both of my desktops, they're both running NVMe M.2 SSDs........ Now that's fast!!!!
I have been looking into a NVMe M.2 PCIe adaptor for my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. I have seen them for 2009 and newer Mac Pros, but I am having trouble finding out if it will work in my Mac Pro 3,1. The updated boot rom for M.2 NVMe SSD is installed by Mojave which is not supposed to run on a Mac Pro 3,1, but there are work arounds to get Mojave to install on a Mac Pro 3,1, but I don't know if that is enough to get it to work with the M.2 NVMe SSD.

Okay but how much faster will a PATA SSD be? Is it worth the expense?
It should. SSD are not only superior in terms of write and reading speed but also the access times are much shorter. This will make Windows much faster.
Was wondering because SATA is faster than PATA and eSATA is faster than SATA. Was thinking cost to benefit ratio of adding an SSD to a PATA connect, if the speed would be high enough due to PATA's limitations.
If your computer has a PCIe slot you can install the SSD there with an adapter. I did that with my 2008 Mac Pro tower because the built in SATA was only SATAII whereas with the bootable PCIe adaptor I get the full SATAIII speed. My 12 year old Mac is now as fast as greased lightning! :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:
I rebuilt both of my desktops, they're both running NVMe M.2 SSDs........ Now that's fast!!!!
I have been looking into a NVMe M.2 PCIe adaptor for my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. I have seen them for 2009 and newer Mac Pros, but I am having trouble finding out if it will work in my Mac Pro 3,1. The updated boot rom for M.2 NVMe SSD is installed by Mojave which is not supposed to run on a Mac Pro 3,1, but there are work arounds to get Mojave to install on a Mac Pro 3,1, but I don't know if that is enough to get it to work with the M.2 NVMe SSD.
Don't know since I'm a PC man. Not sure if you can Hackentosh any of the newer mobos that have m.2 slots but as for Macs...... Sorry, no se nada.

Okay folks, here's a couple of generic videos on replacing a hard drive in a desktop and laptop. Note that (specifically) with the laptop and less so with the desktop locations of access panels and removal/reinstallation of the hard drive will be somewhat different.
These videos don't really show cloning your existing hard drive over to new hard drive but with the right tool that's easy.
When dealing with cloning Windows it's best to backup your system first AND make sure you know what your Microsoft Activation Key is. When changing out hardware Windows sees a change in the computer hardware configuration and may want to be reactivated. I have never had that happen to me but it's always a good idea to be prepared.

Desktop

Laptop

If Wednesday Adams can do it........

in shorthand

hi everyone. can you help . first of all i am not the best on computers. and i needed small step by step instructions.

i am nearing decade 6, but please speak to me in 2nd grade computer class. no, make that first grade.

i do not want to use youtube to do this to start with

is there a very very very simple audio program that will record a voice and be able to upload on sites such as this. i don't want it here, but elsewhere.

i have tried audacity and record pad ,still loaded. forget audacity and the 1000 buttons. whenever i did get something, it gives me an error data too long, or format, error is in shit i never heard of when i try to load it to the desired site..christ almighty.

i will welcome 100 examples. please explain it like this example

1- Take bolt in right hand by screw head

2-Take screw nut in right hand

3- place thread side towards nuts

4-touch both ends squarely together

5-you know what i mean now.

Thank you, POM

in shorthand

hi everyone. can you help . first of all i am not the best on computers. and i needed small step by step instructions.

i am nearing decade 6, but please speak to me in 2nd grade computer class. no, make that first grade.

i do not want to use youtube to do this to start with

is there a very very very simple audio program that will record a voice and be able to upload on sites such as this. i don't want it here, but elsewhere.

i have tried audacity and record pad ,still loaded. forget audacity and the 1000 buttons. whenever i did get something, it gives me an error data too long, or format, error is in shit i never heard of when i try to load it to the desired site..christ almighty.

i will welcome 100 examples. please explain it like this example

1- Take bolt in right hand by screw head

2-Take screw nut in right hand

3- place thread side towards nuts

4-touch both ends squarely together

5-you know what i mean now.

Thank you, POM
Sorry, don't use anything like that so I have no idea. You might get lucky and find someone here who does but you'd probably do much better looking on a forum dedicated to what you want.
Otherwise here's the search I did, maybe it will help.
how to record and upload voice content at DuckDuckGo

Just a note, DuckDuckGo is not a site per se, it's a search engine like Google is a search engine.

For those who are trying to figure what we are talking about, PATA (Parallel ATA) is old tech, the wide "ribbon" connecting the drives to the main board.

iu

SATA (Serial ATA) replaced PATA ribbons.

iu

I remember working with much older technology than any of that.

My Apple ][ didn't even have a hard drive, nor any intrinsic support for one. Initially, it used a plain old audio-tape recorder to store and retrieve programs and data; later upgraded to a floppy drive, and then a second one, holding 140 kilobytes each. (That was using drive hardware that was nominally good for 90 KB of usable data, but Steve Wozniak figured out a clever way to boost that first to 124 KB, then later to 140 KB.) I never had a hard drive for my Apple ][, but I was aware of one that was commercially available, five megabytes for five thousand dollars.

The first computers that I worked with that had hard drives used the old ST506 interface. The first computer that I personally owned, that had a hard drive was a Macintosh II, which I initially purchased with only floppy drives, and later added a 45-megabyte hard drive using the SCSI interface, and later, replaced that with a larger hard drive. I was the very first person in Santa Barbara to buy one from a dealer, though there were a few who had them before I did, who were developers and got them directly from Apple.

Of course, I've had and worked with computers using all the various standard hard drive interfaces that have followed, up to and including ATA/EIDE and SATA.

Forum List

Back