Make Playlist Suggestions for My 9 Year Old Daughter

Shogun, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your Dragon... but it was for a good cause :lol:

a6n9oo

Last edited:
I see what your focus is on, and that troubles me. I wish you would focus on more constructive issues, but I understand that your paraphilia is not curable, and that you therefore have urges and compulsions to act the way you do.

Again, Shitgun, your deliberate ignorance of other youth issues and focus on one in particular is troubling. But if you believe that granting youth political and economic power and the right to bear arms and join the military is a setup to a devious plot to predate, that is your prerogative.

But it's not that of the rational, merely of the feeble-minded.

i'm not the one making comments validating sexual intercourse between a 13 year old and a 44 year old, dude.

:thup:

Shogun, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your Dragon... but it was for a good cause :lol:

a6n9oo

Please keep your coprophilia to yourself.

And Julian the Apostate would have utterly annihilated that little lizard.

i'm not the one making comments validating sexual intercourse between a 13 year old and a 44 year old, dude.

:thup:

I'm not the one focusing on one youth sexual topic to the exclusion of other youth-related topics. The fact that you are concerns me.

Tell me, do you call all supporters of the legality of gay marriage "sodomites"?

9 yr old and good music don't generally go together. It's about what's pop. Pop right now is Disney's music.

I disagree. My kids have pretty decent taste in music because they've been listening to good stuff since they were itty bitty. And, we never listened to that crap.

We decided to give our daughter an MP3 player loaded with some age appropriate songs for her birthday.

I hope this doesn't cost me a fortune.

Any good songs out there? She loves all varieties except rap. And of course no Madonna songs. She's been banned in my house.

Pretty much any song by Kelly Clarkson would be kid friendly except maybe her last single Never Again which has a line "I hope when you're in bed with her, you think of me"

Also Demi Lovato has a CD out which is actually REALLY good and she's a Disney artist...It's Pop/Rock style but no bad language or sexual overtones.

Also Taylor Swift's two CDs are REALLY REALLY good! If you buy the entire albums it's probably cheaper than piecemeal one single at a time.

Hope that helps.

We decided to give our daughter an MP3 player loaded with some age appropriate songs for her birthday.

Any good songs out there? She loves all varieties except rap. And of course no Madonna songs. She's been banned in my house.

HellYeah...Gretchen Wilson will do nicely!
Damn ya must make 15 posts before posting urls..what kinda cheapo operation is this...:doubt:

I didn't read through all the posts so if some of this has already been posted, sorry for the duplicate.

My almost 12 yr old and my special needs 15 yr old also received ipods for Christmas. They are hand-me-downs from my oldest. Regifting is wonderful!

Anyway, my oldest went through her library and deleted all things inappropriate (my oldest is in college and has her own laptop), as her old library is still on our desktop and that's what the two youngest kids use. Here are some songs on my youngest's ipod:

100 years - five for Fighting
1234 - Feist
23 days - SHeDAISY
A change would do you good - Sheryl Crow
A Day Late - Anberlin
All American Girl - Sarah McLachlan
All Star - Smash Mouth
Angel - The Corrs
Because We Can - Fatboy Slim
Bittersweet Symphone - The Verve
Borrowed Heaven - The Corrs
Boston - Augustana
Breath (2am) - Anna Nalick
Centry Tree - Camp Soundtrack
Crank That - Soulja Boy
Dance, Dance - Fall Out Boy
Dusk and Summer, Stolen - Dashboard Confessional
Everythings Magic - Angels and Airwaves
Face Down - Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Fair - Remy Zero
Far Away, If Everyone Cared - Nickelback
How to Save a Life - The Fray
I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
Kiss Me - Sixpence Non the Richer
Life for Love, Minstrel Boys, Gasoline, No More Stones - Enter the Haggis
Miss Independent - Kelly Clarkson
One Week - Barenaked Ladies
Ride With Me - The Vines
Say - John Mayer
Shake It - Metro Station
Thank You - Dido
The Ketchup Song (Asereje) - Las Ketchup
The Real Thing - Bo Bice
There She Goes - The Corrs
Walking In Memphis - March Cohn (he's married to Elizabeth Vargas. He's the musician who got carjacked a few years back)
Wonderwall - Oasis
Zombie - The Cranberries

Any early Beatles, Beach Boys and the like - you can't go wrong with them. Even the Monkees - lol. Oh, and I love Hanson. Yes, Mmmbop Hanson. There's the Disney crowd of Hannah Montana, Jonas Bros, Hillary Duff, Camp Rock soundtrack. Oh and Raven Simone. She's good. All I know is music is subjective, no matter what your age. And a bigger ipod that they can grow into with the space to add more songs is better than a smaller one that they quickly outgrow. We got my oldest her first one 2 1/2 yrs ago for her 16th bday. 1gb. She outgrew in very quickly. So we went halvsies w/her on a refurbished 2gb. She outgrew that as well and she decided to purchase a new 4gb nano. So that's how we re-gifted her old ones.

itunes usually lists a song as 'explicit' or 'clean', if the song calls for it. Usually, but not always. I don't like how you can only listen to a 30 second clip of a song on itunes or amazon so if I find something I like I usually go to Lastfm.com. You can listen to the whole song, which is the best way to decide if it's appropriate. One man's appropriate is another man's inappropriate. I think you can buy them off of this site as well. You can also do a Youtube search of the song and if there's a video for it you can hear the whole song.

My youngest wants me to check out a song called 'Hot and Cold'. Apparently it only has the F-word once in it! :eek: She heard it off of some other kid's ipod. Uh, no. I check out all songs b/4 letting them buy something.

OT but relevant, I also find that the movie ratings are crap. Hollywood has let this whole 'ratings' things go to the dogs, if you ask me. Before considering even a PG movie like Marley and Me (I wouldn't take a 9 year old to see it) check out this site. Kids-In-Mind: Movie Ratings That Actually Work It rates movies by sex/nudity, violence/gore, and profanity on a 1-10 scale. It gives detailed descriptions of every instance in the movie where these things occur. It's a great reference site for parents. I use it all the time.

Thanks ZB for that extended list. Yeah, my little is so sweet she thinks "stupid" is a bad word. LOL!

Yeah, those movie ratings are worthless. I just looked up "Marley & Me" and though it is rated PG -- there is a note for suggestive content and language. I guess we're stuck with movies with G ratings or going back to the oldies. :)

Thanks ZB for that extended list. Yeah, my little is so sweet she thinks "stupid" is a bad word. LOL!

Yeah, those movie ratings are worthless. I just looked up "Marley & Me" and though it is rated PG -- there is a note for suggestive content and language. I guess we're stuck with movies with G ratings or going back to the oldies. :)

Is she in 4th grade? I found that when they went into 5th grade, everything changed. There's always kids that have older siblings and they freely pass along all language and information they've learned from them. :rolleyes:

Check out Marley and Me on that website - yeah, there was a lot of suggestive content and language (for a PG rating). I wish I had looked it up before taking my two youngest.

Oh I forgot, the songs from the Freaky Friday soundtrack are really good. I even have some of them on my ipod!

Last edited:
Is she in 4th grade? I found that when they went into 5th grade, everything changed. There's always kids that have older siblings and they freely pass along all language and information they've learned from them. :rolleyes:

Check out Marley and Me on that website - yeah, there was a lot of suggestive content and language (for a PG rating). I wish I had looked it up before taking my two youngest.

Oh I forgot, the songs from the Freaky Friday soundtrack are really good. I even have some of them on my ipod!

Oooh, I remember watching Freaky Friday as a kid. Thanks for tip! I'll be using the songs as bribes/rewards. :)

Yeah, but she's a young 4th grader. I try to keep her informed on the things that matter so that she doesn't think that the other kids have information that is good/important. She's the oldest, so I'm the information source for now. :cool:

I'm going to check out the Marley & Me website. My daughter had read the book a few months ago in anticipation of the movie, but I'm not sure if the movie is for her. We'll see.

Oooh, I remember watching Freaky Friday as a kid. Thanks for tip! I'll be using the songs as bribes/rewards. :)

Yeah, but she's a young 4th grader. I try to keep her informed on the things that matter so that she doesn't think that the other kids have information that is good/important. She's the oldest, so I'm the information source for now. :cool:

I'm going to check out the Marley & Me website. My daughter had read the book a few months ago in anticipation of the movie, but I'm not sure if the movie is for her. We'll see.

Which one? The original with Haley Mills (loved it), the 1st remake with Jodi Foster (lame) or the most recent with Lindsey Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis (fantastic!). It's the last one that has the great soundtrack.

As for Marely and Me - - PC don't take your daughter, she's too young imo. Sex is mentioned at least a dozen times in it and although it is between a married couple it's just not appropriate for a 9 yr old. Dialogue like 'there's a naked woman waiting for you on your bed'; 'we haven't had sex since . . .'; references to 'getting laid'; Jennifer Aniston's character takes her dress off (you only see her from the shoulders up but the implication that she is naked is clear) then jumps into a pool. Owen Wilson then takes his shirt and pants off and jumps in after her. They're on vacation in Ireland and in a B&B w/twin beds in a room surrounded with religious pics and stuff. She sits on the bed, it squeaks. You know what will happen. He gets in w/her and the bed starts squeaking as they pan up to the religious pic above the bed. Stuff like that runs throughout the movie off and on. Also language -- asshole, sob, possible shit (can't remember). That kids-in-mind website will give you every reference of sex/nudity/ language/ gore/ violence in the movie. They're specifc about language too. Scattegorical terms, religious terms, etc. It's a great site.

Anyway, like I said for a PG rating it sure didn't fit the bill for me. We're trying for 'Hotel for Dogs' later today. I checked it out and it seems ok. We'll see. I just think they've lowered the bar so much in Hollywood. Most PG-13 movies would have received an R rating if they were made pre PG-13 days (yeah, I know that seems like a duh statement but you know what I mean!) . Anything-for-a-buck Hollywood makes a parent's job harder if you ask me!

Which one? The original with Haley Mills (loved it), the 1st remake with Jodi Foster (lame) or the most recent with Lindsey Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis (fantastic!). It's the last one that has the great soundtrack.

As for Marely and Me - - PC don't take your daughter, she's too young imo. Sex is mentioned at least a dozen times in it and although it is between a married couple it's just not appropriate for a 9 yr old. Dialogue like 'there's a naked woman waiting for you on your bed'; 'we haven't had sex since . . .'; references to 'getting laid'; Jennifer Aniston's character takes her dress off (you only see her from the shoulders up but the implication that she is naked is clear) then jumps into a pool. Owen Wilson then takes his shirt and pants off and jumps in after her. They're on vacation in Ireland and in a B&B w/twin beds in a room surrounded with religious pics and stuff. She sits on the bed, it squeaks. You know what will happen. He gets in w/her and the bed starts squeaking as they pan up to the religious pic above the bed. Stuff like that runs throughout the movie off and on. Also language -- asshole, sob, possible shit (can't remember). That kids-in-mind website will give you every reference of sex/nudity/ language/ gore/ violence in the movie. They're specifc about language too. Scattegorical terms, religious terms, etc. It's a great site.

Anyway, like I said for a PG rating it sure didn't fit the bill for me. We're trying for 'Hotel for Dogs' later today. I checked it out and it seems ok. We'll see. I just think they've lowered the bar so much in Hollywood. Most PG-13 movies would have received an R rating if they were made pre PG-13 days (yeah, I know that seems like a duh statement but you know what I mean!) . Anything-for-a-buck Hollywood makes a parent's job harder if you ask me!

ZB-- thanks so much for the warning. That's why we never take the kids to any movies without reading reviews.

Here are two sources that we use:

Plugged In Online

Dove Family Approved Videos, Movies & Video Games (religious)

I am angry that they would give a PG rating to Marley and Me. It's not accurate. From your review and others, I wouldn't even want to watch the movie.

I think the Freaky Friday I saw was the one with Jamie Lee Curtis. I really liked the book as a kid. Maybe I'll get the new Freaky Friday on Netlfix and watch it with the kids.

Hollywood for the most part is anti-family, imo. We have TMC and my husband tapes the oldies like Arsenic and Old Lace for the kids. The other day was Cary Grant's birthday and they did a tribute. Huck Finn will be aired on Saturday.

Forum List

Back