Make it so number one! Patrick Stewart to reprise role and return to Star Trek.

Regardless of his Shakespearean acting skills, Mr. Stewart will never achieve the sheer badassery of the one and only Capt. James T. Kirk. Plus, William Shatner loves this country and spent most of his life here, Stewart has nothing but upper-class-British-snob complaints about it, even though America has made him richer and more famous than his native England ever could.
Shatner is Canadian.

And the most badass captain is Janeway.

She was weak. Picard was great, and Kirk is the standard by which all other Captains are measured.
I HATED her at first but grew to love the role she played. Especially the role where she welcomed 7 of 9! Meow!

The question is, who's hotter? 7 of 9, or T'Pol?
T’Pol.

Regardless of his Shakespearean acting skills, Mr. Stewart will never achieve the sheer badassery of the one and only Capt. James T. Kirk. Plus, William Shatner loves this country and spent most of his life here, Stewart has nothing but upper-class-British-snob complaints about it, even though America has made him richer and more famous than his native England ever could.
Shatner is Canadian.

She was weak. Picard was great, and Kirk is the standard by which all other Captains are measured.
I HATED her at first but grew to love the role she played. Especially the role where she welcomed 7 of 9! Meow!

7 of 9, of course, that goes without saying! T'Pol's hair looked too tomboyish, even for a Vulcan.
Blaylock called it her Frankenstein hair.

Shatner is Canadian.

7 of 9, of course, that goes without saying! T'Pol's hair looked too tomboyish, even for a Vulcan.

She looks better with long hair

I'm not noticing any hair

I'm not noticing any hair

She's so dynamite-looking here I'm noticing every cell in her body. Including her hair.

Good reason to like Star Trek's dark horse, DS9: Trek's most Hannibal Lecter/Clarice Starling type of scene...

So is DS9 worth bothering with? I think I watched one or two episodes and never went back.

Yes. I've watched the majority of it. I would say it's a lot more "darkly ambitious" than Voyager. A lot of episodes and characters are more mysterious, darker and more morally ambivalent & ambiguous than usual for Star Trek. Like one of the greatest episodes in the franchise, "In the Pale Moonlight." DS9's other strength is that for several seasons it had the recurring, most extravagant, deliciously scenery-chewing, fun-to-hate Trek villain of all time, the Cardassian Gul Dukat. Yes, Dukat was a Khan-caliber Star Trek villain.

At any rate, if you check out several of the stronger, more famous eps. of DS9, you may find it growing on you quickly. It's different from other Treks - but in an intelligent way. Also it had TNG's Worf stationed there as a regular for a few seasons, to add to the fun and give it Klingon flavor. There are some lousy eps. too (what Trek doesn't have them) so you have to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited:
So is DS9 worth bothering with? I think I watched one or two episodes and never went back.

Yes. I've watched the majority of it. I would say it's a lot more "darkly ambitious" than Voyager. A lot of episodes and characters are more mysterious, darker and more morally ambivalent & ambiguous than usual for Star Trek. Like one of the greatest episodes in the franchise, "In the Pale Moonlight." DS9's other strength is that for several seasons it had the recurring, most extravagant, deliciously scenery-chewing, fun-to-hate Trek villain of all time, the Cardassian Gul Dukat. Yes, Dukat was a Khan-caliber Star Trek villain.

At any rate, if you check out several of the stronger, more famous eps. of DS9, you may find it growing on you quickly. It's different from other Treks - but in an intelligent way. Also it had TNG's Worf stationed there as a regular for a few seasons, to add to the fun and give it Klingon flavor. There are some lousy eps. too (what Trek doesn't have them) so you have to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Is any of it in on ships or planets or is it all on the station?

Plenty of it is on ships and distant planets because the space station has several large, long-range shuttles called "runabouts" which the characters constantly use. Then they also have that small, heavily-armored Federation warship called the Defiant which they often used, often under Worf (my all-time fave Klingon, he truly made Klingon culture his own). The space station itself was merely the central headquarters of the plots, but the plots often extended far beyond. In some of the upper seasons, DS9 was also in the midst of some of Star Trek's greatest, most epic space battles - the Trek space equivalent of those giant Lord of the Rings battles. Or those b&w Victory at Sea live film footage of WWII Pacific battles.

Plenty of it is on ships and distant planets because the space station has several large, long-range shuttles called "runabouts" which the characters constantly use. Then they also have that small, heavily-armored Federation warship called the Defiant which they often used, often under Worf (my all-time fave Klingon, he truly made Klingon culture his own). The space station itself was merely the central headquarters of the plots, but the plots often extended far beyond. In some of the upper seasons, DS9 was also in the midst of some of Star Trek's greatest, most epic space battles - the Trek space equivalent of those giant Lord of the Rings battles. Or those b&w Victory at Sea live film footage of WWII Pacific battles.
Ok I will check it out then. I just assumed it was a low production deal and confined to corridor & room shots. Samey scenery gets dull.

Ok I will check it out then. I just assumed it was a low production deal and confined to corridor & room shots. Samey scenery gets dull.

Good, because it's scope is usually much bigger than a huge space station, the show had some really interesting, mysterious characters and the show knew how to put out "storytelling feelers" beyond the space station. Capt. Sisko is also curious; he has an unusual, polarizing acting style. Some Trek fans love, some hate it, but I'm sort of neutral about it. Also check out the episodes with Andrew Robinson playing a shrewdly delicious Cardassian tailor/possible spy living aboard DS9, he has his share of eps. and stand-out acting moments.

Great moment from Star Trek's greatest villain, Gul Dukat (DS9). No, I don't intend this post to be a Dukat vs. Khan competition for the most delicious, scenery-chewing Trek villain, that's another debate and another thread for another time.

The only episodes I didn’t like were the ones that centered on the Bajoran religious leaders, led by Louise Fletcher (Nurse Ratched from ‘One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest’.

upload_2018-8-10_19-26-3.jpg
upload_2018-8-10_19-26-46.jpg

Sorry, Kirk is, was and always will be the greatest Star Ship captain in the whole history of time.....

Forum List

Back