Maine Governor "no more snowmobiles/Jet skis for welfare recipients

Wonder how many republicans here realize that welfare doesn't automatically mean not working. It also means majority of time working but getting few hours or shit pay thanks to their free trade loving politicians sending jobs overseas and kissing the ass of corporations paying peanuts for pay.
Care to miss the point by any more of a wider berth?
Oh I hit it right on the head son.

If someone wants to put back 50 bucks per month until they can buy a jet ski...Why should they be stopped? It is called freedom.

Obviously, those who actually subsidize the people might disagree.

We often hear about the poor here, and we do have poor people who have little or nothing. The average person that qualifies as poor has a house, car, phone, cable, internet, large screen TV, enough food and nice clothes. That used to be called doing well.

I don't begrudge anyone something they worked for and that includes the wealthy. That hasn't stopped many on the left bitching about the big homes, fancy cars and luxury vacations. Yet, those people take nothing from anyone.

Not every wealthy person got that way from mistreating workers or taking advantage of anyone. And not every person deemed poor by the current standards is really poor.

Too many people get help even though they'd be fine without it. It would mean giving up a few luxuries if they didn't get subsidized by tax payers.

I am all for helping the poor, though I'd rather give them the real kind of help that eventually gets them out of poverty. That means they must meet us halfway and do their part to ensure a brighter future.

Of course, these day, the good jobs are scarce so even when people complete their education, there might not be as many opportunities.

What a bunch of shit....

The corporate asshole making 20,000,000/year can buy what he damn well pleases as he pays his workers shit. A lot of these poor people are the workers that are paid shit.

I hope no poor person votes republican.

^ Is not a taxpayer

Governor Paul LePage is responding to the the taxpayers of Maine, obviously weary of seeing those collecting social benefits buying and using items which most working middle class people view as luxury items.
So a new regulation is being proposed that no one with more than $5000 in assets will be eligible for SNAP benefits....If this goes into effect, score one for the good guys....
No More Jet Skis, Maine Tells Food Stamp Recipients

This would mean that most people who own a car less than 10 years would not qualify. This is a horrible idea, but a very good example of how meddlesome government rules create unintended, negative consequences.
Hey, if one wants public assistance, there are strings attached.
When one accepts the largess of others, it comes with certain responsibilities. It is not "free" money.

Pull your head out of your ass. I never said anything about "free money." I pointed out that this restriction would rule out people based on ownership of a vital tool, and without regard for means of time of purchase. Just because someone bought a new car 8 years ago does not in itself mean that they ought to be excluded from eligibility for benefits at the present time, if they otherwise qualify. But that's exactly what this proposal will do. All this will do is encourage people who are desperate for needed assistance, or people who are malicious enough to be eager to abuse the system, will offload the car. That, in turn, will make it more difficult for those same people go back and forth to work every day, which is most likely to lead to them going even deeper into the welfare as a lifestyle cycle. Very few places in the United States are well equipped with cost effective public transportation options that enable people to get back and forth to work every day without having their own vehicle.

Call be a crazy conservative, but I want people who are receiving assistance to improve their lives and have a clear road before them such that pursuing success through gainful employment is the logical decision for them. But hey, if you would rather that food stamps become a gateway drug that lead them into a systemic lifestyle of sucking the government teat, then get in line with the Democrats.

You people don't get it

Poor people will just want to go on being poor unless you make them suffer

Forum List

Back