Food Stamp Rolls Plummet Because of Work Requirement

Well by all means explain to us how the food stamp credit on SNAP card can be used to buy booze.

Little mom and pop stores in the ghetto often trade food stamps for cash. They pay pennies on the dollar and make out while in the meantime, the person with the food stamps gets cash to go and buy whatever they want.

A few weeks ago at my grocery store, some guy was in line asking me if he could buy a couple of my items using food stamps, and I just buy my items off of him for cash after we check out, and I would get those items at half price. I didn't do it, but another lowlife behind us did. He took about 40 dollars of the mans items, paid for them with food stamps, and when they were done, he gave the man his items back and the customer gave the food stamp guy a $20.00 bill. They both made out.

Yes, they made out with other people's tax dollars...how wonderful.

They both colluded to commit fraud.

And the thing is this goes on all the time.
And many think that's just fine and bring on more of it
That's what Trump will end and that's what some are unhinged about

It's not just Trump, it's conservative leadership. Liberals believe the way to solve poverty is to give poor people more things: more food stamps, better government housing, better medical care for poor people, free school lunches, breakfast and dinner even in the summer when schools are out.

The promotion of government dependency is also to promote more personal irresponsibility. The reduction of government dependency promotes more personal responsibility.
Discussing personal responsibility was decried as racist for a while but thats another thing that has ended and another thing that's got the libs in a dither

give credit to Trump for something that happened before he took office ..

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Like what?

View attachment 137207

SNAP outlays fell for the third straight year and were 4 percent lower in 2016 than in 2015. The only time since 2000 when SNAP spending declined faster was in 2014 when the Recovery Act’s SNAP benefit boost ended. In 2016 SNAP spending dropped to its lowest point since 2010, and more than 11 percent below 2013 peak levels.

SNAP Caseload and Spending Declines Accelerated in 2016

Oh, and we should give DumBama credit for that?

GOP Wants to Cut $23 Billion From Food Stamps

House 2017 Budget Plan Would Slash SNAP by More Than $150 Billion Over Ten Years

look at the dates

:eusa_whistle:

feel free to fuck off.

After the food stamp rolls swelled for years under the Obama administration, fresh figures show a dramatic reduction in states that recently have moved to restore work requirements.

States were allowed to waive those rules for able-bodied adults thanks to the 2009 economic stimulus. As the rules loosened and the economy sputtered out of the recession, food stamp enrollment soared to record levels – peaking at nearly 48 million nationwide in 2013.

But while that number has dipped gradually in recent years, some states have moved aggressively to push recipients who can work back into the job market and, in due time, off the program.

Alabama began 2017 by requiring able-bodied adults without children in 13 counties to either find a job or participate in work training as a condition for continuing to receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits.

According to AL.com, the number of those recipients declined from 5,538 to 831 between Jan. 1 and the beginning of May – an 85 percent drop.

Similar changes were implemented in select counties in Georgia and by the end of the first three months, the number of adults receiving benefits in three participating counties dropped 58 percent, according to the Georgia Public Policy Foundation.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently reported that in 21 additional counties that restored the work requirement, there was a 62 percent drop in SNAP participants.

“Work requirements have been enormously successful at reducing the number of people on food stamps. And while they made sense in the early part of the recession when unemployment was higher, that is no longer the case,” said Robert Doar, a fellow in poverty studies at the American Enterprise Institute.
A key component of the 1996 welfare reform bill, the work requirement applies to able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWD) between the ages of 18 to 49.

However, as part of his 2009 economic stimulus, then-President Barack Obama allowed states to waive SNAP work requirements, which resulted in the number of ABAWDs on food stamps more than doubling from 1.9 million in 2008 to 3.9 million in 2010, according to a 2012 Congressional Research Service study.

The number continued to rise but has since slipped to roughly 4.2 million. According to the USDA, most states still offer full or partial waivers.

Advocates for waivers argue that the flexibility is needed to help people get back on their feet in the wake of the economic crisis. And a call in the Trump administration’s budget to resurrect the work mandate and scale back SNAP’s budget has drawn fire from anti-hunger advocates.

“Parents will work just as hard at unforgiving jobs and see less food on the table for their families. Children will become sicker without the proper nutrition, ending up in hospitals or on the rolls of what social services remain. Some children will die,” Mariana Chilton, a professor of public health at Drexel University, predicted in a column for The Hill.

SNAP reform, however, could be bolstered by the developments at the state level.

“Welfare was never intended to be a one-way handout, but a program based on the idea of reciprocity,” said Robert Rector, a fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation. “Those who receive benefits from the government should be required to work or participate in work-training as a condition.”

Doar and Rector cite reforms made by Republican Gov. Paul LePage of Maine.

In October 2014, LePage announced that able-bodied adults would have to find work, spend 20 hours per week in a work program, or perform community service for six hours a week.

Food stamp participation declined 14.5 percent from 235,771 in January 2014 to 201,557 in January 2015, according to the state.

An analysis of a group of 7,000 Mainers who left SNAP in 2014 found their total earnings increased from $3.85 million in the third quarter 2014 to $8.24 million in the last quarter of 2015.

Kansas saw a 75 percent decline after implementing work requirements in 2013. In addition, nearly 60 percent of former beneficiaries found employment within 12 months and their incomes rose by an average of 127 percent per year, according to the Foundation for Government Accountability.

The Maine model taken nationwide could save taxpayers over $8.4 billion per year, according to Rector.

That is the goal of Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, and Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, who have introduced a bill to require able-bodied adults without children to participate in “work activation” initiatives as a condition of their benefits. It also imposes time limits on SNAP participation.

“We should be incentivizing work, not providing a disincentive to find a job, which is a good thing both for the taxpayer as well as for the beneficiary,” Jordan said.
As meaningless as U3; regarding statistics.

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Like what?

View attachment 137207

SNAP outlays fell for the third straight year and were 4 percent lower in 2016 than in 2015. The only time since 2000 when SNAP spending declined faster was in 2014 when the Recovery Act’s SNAP benefit boost ended. In 2016 SNAP spending dropped to its lowest point since 2010, and more than 11 percent below 2013 peak levels.

House 2017 Budget Plan Would Slash SNAP by More Than $150 Billion Over Ten Years

look at the dates

feel free to fuck off.

Oh, so that's what you're hung up on...... dates? Well here you go smart ass:

Republicans seek cuts to food stamp program with new farm bill

House votes to cut food stamps by $39 billion

House Republicans Vote To Drop Millions From Food Stamps

Oh! And since you won't go to the links, one is from CBS and another is from ThinkCommie.

The truth of the matter is that getting people off of the food stamp role (which DumBama doubled) was a goal of theirs since they took leadership of Congress. Democrats don't want to see that. The more government dependents in this country--the more likely Democrat voters.

I guess able-bodied people being asked to get off their ass and do something for what they are being given, that others are paying for, is to much to ask.

Little mom and pop stores in the ghetto often trade food stamps for cash. They pay pennies on the dollar and make out while in the meantime, the person with the food stamps gets cash to go and buy whatever they want.

A few weeks ago at my grocery store, some guy was in line asking me if he could buy a couple of my items using food stamps, and I just buy my items off of him for cash after we check out, and I would get those items at half price. I didn't do it, but another lowlife behind us did. He took about 40 dollars of the mans items, paid for them with food stamps, and when they were done, he gave the man his items back and the customer gave the food stamp guy a $20.00 bill. They both made out.

Yes, they made out with other people's tax dollars...how wonderful.

They both colluded to commit fraud.

And the thing is this goes on all the time.
And many think that's just fine and bring on more of it
That's what Trump will end and that's what some are unhinged about

It's not just Trump, it's conservative leadership. Liberals believe the way to solve poverty is to give poor people more things: more food stamps, better government housing, better medical care for poor people, free school lunches, breakfast and dinner even in the summer when schools are out.

The promotion of government dependency is also to promote more personal irresponsibility. The reduction of government dependency promotes more personal responsibility.
Discussing personal responsibility was decried as racist for a while but thats another thing that has ended and another thing that's got the libs in a dither

Most Democrats will never come to terms with that. They don't want people to know what their plot is, so they use race (like they do to try and defend all their issues) to cover it up. When you depend on government to get by in life, you are restricted based on what they give you.

As I pointed out earlier, these people (most of whom work) are not allowed to earn more than X amount of money while on food stamps or any social program. When you don't depend on government, you can earn as much as you want, you can invest that money or save up for a European vacation, you can buy luxuries. You can't do that living on tax dollars. You just sit on your porch watching your life rot away, and that's a damn shame.

I guess able-bodied people being asked to get off their ass and do something for what they are being given, that others are paying for, is to much to ask.

It's easy to make somebody lazy and the Democrats are quite aware of it. I remember nearly 30 years ago I lost my job and went on unemployment. The first month or so I was losing my mind. I didn't know what to do with myself. After some time, I started to calm down and relax. By the third month I was really enjoying my long vacation. I joined a bowling league, took up martial arts, went to the Zoo a couple times, it was great. By the fourth month I never wanted to go back to work again.

It's really a trap, kind of like getting hooked on narcotics. But like narcotics, the only reasonable thing to do is rehab, and we need a rehab for our social safety nets.

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Like what?

View attachment 137207

look at the dates

feel free to fuck off.

Oh, so that's what you're hung up on...... dates? Well here you go smart ass:

Republicans seek cuts to food stamp program with new farm bill

House votes to cut food stamps by $39 billion

House Republicans Vote To Drop Millions From Food Stamps

Oh! And since you won't go to the links, one is from CBS and another is from ThinkCommie.

The truth of the matter is that getting people off of the food stamp role (which DumBama doubled) was a goal of theirs since they took leadership of Congress. Democrats don't want to see that. The more government dependents in this country--the more likely Democrat voters.
Just enabling the poor to get poor and the rich to get richer via public policy; I got it, right wingers.

It's easy to make somebody lazy and the Democrats are quite aware of it. I remember nearly 30 years ago I lost my job and went on unemployment. The first month or so I was losing my mind. I didn't know what to do with myself. After some time, I started to calm down and relax. By the third month I was really enjoying my long vacation. I joined a bowling league, took up martial arts, went to the Zoo a couple times, it was great. By the fourth month I never wanted to go back to work again.

It's really a trap, kind of like getting hooked on narcotics. But like narcotics, the only reasonable thing to do is rehab, and we need a rehab for our social safety nets.
You really don't have a work ethic, do you. Some people go to school or learn a new trade.

Interesting you boneheads are so concerned about the poor receiving welfare benefits but don't say a word about corporate welfare which costs this country Billions more.

No, welfare is giving somebody something they didn't have or earn. Not taking as much from companies is not welfare at all. Corporate Welfare is a liberal term meaning tax breaks.

More evidence that conservatives are obsessed with widening the gap between rich and poor.

More like taking advantage of those who give.
Our local news did a story on this. They had to sue to get the information. In the end, the newscaster had a stack of papers on his desk that was 2 feet high, with all of the welfare card #'s that had been used to buy liquor and entrance into strip clubs. It was page after page after page of card numbers on our dime.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back