Maher, Dawkins and "regressive leftism"

Progressive is just a cuter name for American Fascism. They're simply intolerant of the opinions of others
What opinions specifically are we intolerant of? That gays are evil? That Mexicans are rapists and murderers? Give examples.
If you're curious, I can certainly help.

Here are pieces written by Democrats/liberals who feel that this has all gone too far, that what Dawkins refers to as "regressive leftists" have distorted liberalism. None of the pieces are written by right wingers, and there are myriad examples of what you're asking about:

Progressive is just a cuter name for American Fascism. They're simply intolerant of the opinions of others
What opinions specifically are we intolerant of? That gays are evil? That Mexicans are rapists and murderers? Give examples.

Here are pieces written by Democrats/liberals who feel that this has all gone too far, that what Dawkins refers to as "regressive leftists" have distorted liberalism. None of the pieces are written by right wingers, and there are myriad examples of what you're asking about:

I'll agree our pc is helping to keep illegals here. It's enabling black society. Can't be honest fearing you'll hurt feelings. I get it.

Ever hear the comparison of libs and cons to parents? Libs are the nurturing moms and cons are the tough dads?

Mom uses the credit card to do what her family needs and dad has to work and pay for what she buys.

Intolerance is bad enough, but it's worse when it's acted upon.

And at colleges, of all places. What a shame.

Wake up Mac...colleges are no longer "liberal run institutions", they are now large private corporations...

How American Universities Turned Into Corporations

At their core, these stories reflect a fundamental change in higher education: universities act increasingly like big businesses that treat students as customers.

This transformation is part of a larger cultural shift that can be traced back to the 1970s and ‘80s, when policymakers began to view higher education more as a private good (benefiting individual students) than as a public good (helping the nation prosper by creating better educated citizens). In previous decades, public universities enjoyed robust support from state and federal government, and tuition at some of the country’s best universities was free or nearly free. But Republican governors like Ronald Reagan argued that states should not subsidize intellectual curiosity, while economists like Milton Friedman advocated against the notion of free education, claiming that students seeking a private advantage should pay for it themselves. Just take the example of the University of California at Berkeley, in Reagan’s home state: in 1960, tuition was free for a California resident; today it costs $12,872 with an additional $14,414 for room and board.

But how did policymakers envision that students would pay for that private good? Through student loans, of course. Under the theory that student debt was “good debt,” student lending limits rose during Reagan’s presidency, and a profitable student loan market emerged. This in turn fueled the rise in college tuition, as universities sought to capture the student loan dollar through increasing fees. In fact, since 1978 the cost of college has increased in absolute dollars by 1120%. All the while, universities have worked to convince students that their institutions are the most worthy of skyrocketing fees, perpetuating a cost disease at the root of higher education.

Time Magazine

Ever hear the comparison of libs and cons to parents? Libs are the nurturing moms and cons are the tough dads? Mom uses the credit card to do what her family needs and dad has to work and pay for what she buys.
Yes, in fact I've made that point here before: Liberals tend to be animated by their maternal side, conservatives by their paternal side.

That's not a slam, it just speaks to your point. And just as with parenting, balance and moderation in politics are critical.

Wake up Mac...colleges are no longer "liberal run institutions", they are now large private corporations...

At their core, these stories reflect a fundamental change in higher education: universities act increasingly like big businesses that treat students as customers.

This transformation is part of a larger cultural shift that can be traced back to the 1970s and ‘80s, when policymakers began to view higher education more as a private good (benefiting individual students) than as a public good (helping the nation prosper by creating better educated citizens). In previous decades, public universities enjoyed robust support from state and federal government, and tuition at some of the country’s best universities was free or nearly free. But Republican governors like Ronald Reagan argued that states should not subsidize intellectual curiosity, while economists like Milton Friedman advocated against the notion of free education, claiming that students seeking a private advantage should pay for it themselves. Just take the example of the University of California at Berkeley, in Reagan’s home state: in 1960, tuition was free for a California resident; today it costs $12,872 with an additional $14,414 for room and board.

But how did policymakers envision that students would pay for that private good? Through student loans, of course. Under the theory that student debt was “good debt,” student lending limits rose during Reagan’s presidency, and a profitable student loan market emerged. This in turn fueled the rise in college tuition, as universities sought to capture the student loan dollar through increasing fees. In fact, since 1978 the cost of college has increased in absolute dollars by 1120%. All the while, universities have worked to convince students that their institutions are the most worthy of skyrocketing fees, perpetuating a cost disease at the root of higher education.

Time Magazine
Which, of course, has nothing to do with the points Dawkins and Maher are making.

But thanks for joining the list of folks here who have self-identified for me.

I'll agree our pc is helping to keep illegals here. It's enabling black society. Can't be honest fearing you'll hurt feelings. I get it.

Ever hear the comparison of libs and cons to parents? Libs are the nurturing moms and cons are the tough dads?

Mom uses the credit card to do what her family needs and dad has to work and pay for what she buys.

What? Ever hear the comparison? No. First time. And...it's ridiculous.

Ever hear the comparison of libs and cons to parents? Libs are the nurturing moms and cons are the tough dads? Mom uses the credit card to do what her family needs and dad has to work and pay for what she buys.
Yes, in fact I've made that point here before: Liberals tend to be animated by their maternal side, conservatives by their paternal side.

That's not a slam, it just speaks to your point. And just as with parenting, balance and moderation in politics are critical.

That's ridiculous too. What are you, by the way? A stay at home dad?

WTF? lol. jesus.

Time Magazine
Which, of course, has nothing to do with the points Dawkins and Maher are making.

1. You agreed that Dawkins was wrong.

2. Maher was not barred from giving a speech at Berkeley.

So what was your point again?

When is the last time you heard RW'er express tolerance of positions he disagreed with?

What does it even mean? 'Intolerant of the opinions of others'?

Yes I am very intolerant. Do I want to tolerate the actions of religious nuts like Kim Davis? Do I want to tolerate the rightwing assault on Planned Parenthood? Am I willing to tolerate conservatives shooting up black churches?

No, no, and no. So sue me.

Mac, it has everything to do with the point Dawkins makes. You only have to listen to the first 55 seconds for it to become apparent.

Richard Dawkins: “I am shocked about the way on university campuses, the principle of free speech. When I think that the only university I went to, the University of California at Berkeley, the free speech movement in the 1960s — what a betrayal we are seeing right now,” Dawkins said. “With campuses all over the western world — American and Britain – denying people the right to come speak at campuses. If you can’t speak your mind at a university campus, where can you?”

AGAIN...

Forum List

Back