Magnitude-6.5 earthquake is largest in Nevada in past 66 years

beautress

Always Faithful
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2018
Walker County, TX
Magnitude-6.5 earthquake is largest in Nevada in past 66 years

An earthquake with a revised magnitude of 6.5 hit a remote area of Nevada on Friday morning, about 225 miles northwest of Las Vegas and near the California border, the US Geological Survey says. The quake, which was 4.7 miles deep, occurred at 4:03 a.m. local time, the USGS says.

The map with recent earthquqke activity: Latest Earthquakes

1. 2.6, 66km SE of Hawthorne, Nevada
    2020-05-16 10:32:33 (UTC)

7.8 km
  2. 3.4, 66km W of Tonopah, Nevada
    2020-05-16 10:30:31 (UTC)

19.3 km
  3. , 4.3, 21km NE of Hawthorne, Nevada
    2020-05-16 10:28:51 (UTC)

16.3 km
  4. 4.2, 61km WNW of Tonopah, Nevada
    2020-05-16 10:28:40 (UTC)

15.9 km
  5. 2.6, 65km WNW of Tonopah, Nevada
    2020-05-16 10:11:36 (UTC)

5.3 km
  6. 2.5, 53km WNW of Tonopah, Nevada
    2020-05-16 09:58:37 (UTC)

7.8 km
  7. 3.1, 70km W of Tonopah, Nevada
    2020-05-16 09:45:57 (UTC)

12.0 km
  8. 2.9. 47km WNW of Tonopah, Nevada
    2020-05-16 09:36:48 (UTC)

4.9 km
  9. 2.8. 68km W of Alamo, Nevada
    2020-05-16 09:34:09 (UTC)
This one was earlier:
6.5, 56km W of Tonopah, Nevada
2020-05-15 11:03:27 (UTC)

Last edited:
I drove that road from LV to Reno plenty of times. They have some crazy brothels out there in the middle of nowhere. I'm imagining some dude getting busy in there when the Quake hits and the ho saying, "I told you I was going to rock your world". There goes another satisfied customer with a story.

I've always wanted to experience an earthquake.
I've got hurricanes,wildfires and tornadoes covered.
I have all of the above PLUS. The largest quake I've had was a 7.6 on 2012. Fun stuff ! The house was no problem but walking was "interesting". My gardener hung onto a tree and said the ground was like ocean waves. I was inside so missed that bit but it was a rollin !

You left out volcanos.
Speaking of volcanoes.... Has anyone looked at the one at the end of that fault line?

Long Valley is a super volcano and its currently in the yellow. Seems that the shaking has some nerves rattled.

1589730263792.png

Its looking like the whole volcanic network was rattled.

the small ones aint shit.....but getting into the five and sixers get the Adrenalin flowing.....sevens are even better....i can imagine what a niner feels like....

I was literally on top of the epicenter of the Northridge quake in '94... the epicenter wasn't in Northridge.

What a ride...

the small ones aint shit.....but getting into the five and sixers get the Adrenalin flowing.....sevens are even better....i can imagine what a niner feels like....

While I understand the richter scale I have nothing to base it on never having experienced even a small one.
Kinda one of those....I want it to be a good one....but not to good.

I was literally on top of the epicenter of the Northridge quake in '94... the epicenter wasn't in Northridge.

What a ride...
i had just stepped out of my postal vehical to deposit mail in the sidewalk box when all the garage doors on the street kinda sucked in than out and i was thrown back onto the truck.....i was just 10 miles from the epicenter in Yorba Linda .....and that was just a 3 point sixer.....it felt like a fiver....

While I understand the richter scale I have nothing to base it on never having experienced even a small one.
Kinda one of those....I want it to be a good one....but not to good.
yea you would have to experience one.....the landers quake of 7.2 was the biggest i ever felt, my bed walked across the floor with me still in it......that was a real rush didnt think it was going to stop....

Be careful what you wish for. I lived in California for 5 years back when. There's a lot of paranoia in and around earthquake season, which is wherever mother nature feels like a good shakeup is needed wherever she picks. Some are hospitalized with fright after a 5-point Richter scale quake.

Forum List

Back