Macron: Europe needs its own sovereignty in defence, even with new U.S. government

Although any European force will have to heavily rely upon the Poles. I'm old enough that Germany still scares m
The Poles? Why on them?
Because the Poles are the best of the worst.
You know:

If that is about Eastern Europe, then may be. But we are talking about all-European army.

Poles are best, even if we are talking about the whole Europe. The Froggies and the Krauts don't want to fight.

Let the Poles begin support themselves without the Krauts and Froggies' money at first. And after that we'll see.

Says the blind to the blind?

Are you going to be our guide?

We will see, whoever "we" is. A lack of arrogance and aggressions is for sure nothing what's typical for the US-American culture.

I dont want to disappoint you, but I have nothing to do with the US-American culture.

So who is "we" in your case?

'We' is myself and the poster I replied to in particular, and all who are interested in European affairs in general.

Except the people from Germany and the USA, I guess.

I see no ground for such guessing.

What has this, what you say, to do with the USA, "Krautland" and the "empire of the frog eaters"? What is your own interest?

Interest in what? In European matters? I live here and naturally I am interested in the things which are going on here.

What is your relation to the USA? Why should the USA send soldiers to France, Germany, Poland or any other European country?

I have no relation. Except that I am interested in their system of government, law etc.

The US is the only country of the Western world which can really confront China and Russia, if the need would arise.

Although any European force will have to heavily rely upon the Poles. I'm old enough that Germany still scares m
The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

If that is about Eastern Europe, then may be. But we are talking about all-European army.

Poles are best, even if we are talking about the whole Europe. The Froggies and the Krauts don't want to fight.

Let the Poles begin support themselves without the Krauts and Froggies' money at first. And after that we'll see.

We will see, whoever "we" is. A lack of arrogance and aggressions is for sure nothing what's typical for the US-American culture.

I dont want to disappoint you, but I have nothing to do with the US-American culture.

'We' is myself and the poster I replied to in particular, and all who are interested in European affairs in general.

What has this, what you say, to do with the USA, "Krautland" and the "empire of the frog eaters"? What is your own interest?

Interest in what? In European matters? I live here and naturally I am interested in the things which are going on here.

What is your relation to the USA? Why should the USA send soldiers to France, Germany, Poland or any other European country?

I have no relation. Except that I am interested in their system of government, law etc.

The US is the only country of the Western world which can really confront China and Russia, if the need would arise.

Why do you like that the USA confronts (¿with what?) Russia and/or China?

Last edited:
Did you, Krauts,

Do you know that always when an US-American is using this expression, then this is only showing the very deep problems of the mentality of the US-people?

read the answer of the German "Government" on the request of your Parliament?

Do you still believe, that those clowns can make a new "Aktion Konserve" even for their own unassuming audience?

Whatever someone from the AfD - a political pseudo-party full of Nazis and useful idiots of Nazis - "asks" the German government is totally unimportant for me.
It is not about what the opposition asked. It's about how the government answered. "We don't know" and "We are not sure" - are not very inspiring statements, aren't they?

The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

The Poles are together with the Hungarians and Slowenia on the tyrannic way into the next dictatorship.

You don't like democracy of the "Old America"? Well, let's see would you like tyranny of the "New Europe"?

The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

Do you want to be "Nerus tuporylaya" in Pax Rusica or "hànsī guizi" in Pax Sinica?

Did you, Krauts,

Do you know that always when an US-American is using this expression, then this is only showing the very deep problems of the mentality of the US-people?

Do you still believe, that those clowns can make a new "Aktion Konserve" even for their own unassuming audience?

Whatever someone from the AfD - a political pseudo-party full of Nazis and useful idiots of Nazis - "asks" the German government is totally unimportant for me.
It is not about what the opposition asked. It's about how the government answered. "We don't know" and "We are not sure" - are not very inspiring statements, aren't they?

I don't know what's your problem and I'm not sure whether any form of "inspiring statement" makes any sense in discussions with enemies of the German constitution.

The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

The Poles are together with the Hungarians and Slowenia on the tyrannic way into the next dictatorship.

You don't like democracy of the "Old America"? Well, let's see would you like tyranny of the "New Europe"?

I never heard the "Old USA" - whatever this is in case of this very young country - was ever a kind of right wing bolshewistic dictatorship with a kind of right wing corrupt oligarchs, who betray their own people and don't respect any justice. And specially I never heard the USA lives from the money of others, whom they attack continously to get away from the own crimes.

Last edited:
The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

Do you want to be "Nerus tuporylaya" in Pax Rusica or "hànsī guizi" in Pax Sinica?

Uh? ... I did not ask you ... I liked to get an answer from ESay - and I don't have any idea what you speak about here. What's your own nationality? What do you have to do with the USA?

The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

Uh? ... I did not ask you ... I liked to get an answer from ESay - and I don't have any idea what you speak about here. What's your own nationality? What do you have to do with the USA?

He (and any other European) should be happy that the USA confront Russia and China, because Americans allow you to live. If Russia or China wins - you'll have serious problems.

The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

I never heard the "Old USA" - whatever this is in case of this very young country - was ever a kind of right wing bolshewistic dictatorship with a kind of right wing corrupt oligarchs, who betray their own people and don't respect any justice. And specially I never heard the USA lives from the money of others, whom they attack continously to get away from the own crimes.

First, the USA lives from the resources of the whole world controlled by discriminating economical system, which allows unequal exchange - "real resources to virtual money". Or " if you don't want to trade with us on our terms- we'll make you problems or even bomb you".
Second - you, Europeans, don't understand conception of freedom. You need dictatorship - Putin's, Macron's or even Duda's. It's your corrupted nature. All freedom you have - was given you by Americans.

Did you, Krauts,

I don't know what's your problem and I'm not sure whether any form of "inspiring statement" makes any sense in discussions with enemies of the German constitution.
I say, that you can't fight Russians because your current "government" can't make even simple provocation.

The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

It is not about what I like or dislike. It is about how the things work in our world. 'Big' countries are almost always rivalries with their spheres of influence. And I definitely dont want to live in the spheres of China or Russia.

The Poles? Why on them?
Because unlike Germany they have a functional military. In terms of "size" Russia is not that much of a conventional threat. But unlike Europe as a whole, they have cohesive weapons and efficient supply, and at least their more elite units are motivated and trained. Which is why Europe still needs US troops. But there's no reason the Germans cannot be as trained and motivated as they were in the 70s to 80s.

A European conventional force should be achievable, but it is a multi-year goal. Given the past century, I'd hope the US keeps providing some component of it. Europe is a trading partner. And Russia remains a nuclear power. Wasn't it Merlke who called them a gas station with nuclear weapons or something like that?

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
Funny article.

But there is one important statement:
Wir leben heute in einem Europa, für das Willy Brandt die Fundamente legte. Mit der Europäischen Union, Demokratie, Wohlstand, Frieden. Auf sein Werk bauen wir mit einer neuen europäischen Ostpolitik auf. Anders als Brandt müssen wir heute nicht mehr den Umweg über Moskau gehen, um mit unseren östlichen Nachbarn zu sprechen. Viele Partner in Ost- und Mitteleuropa sehen Russland heute sehr kritisch – und deutsche Außenpolitik muss die Ängste unserer Nachbarn ernst nehmen. Neben Angebotes des Dialogs sind daher klare deutsche Positionen gegenüber Moskau wichtig, um Vertrauen in Osteuropa zu erhalten. Die weitere Aussöhnung mit unseren östlichen Nachbarn – besonders Polen – bleibt unsere große Aufgabe. Dazu verpflichtet uns das Erbe Willy Brandts. Und dabei sollten wir uns von Mut und Demut leiten lassen – so wie Brandt vor fünfzig Jahren am Denkmal des Warschauer Ghettos.
----------
Today we live in a Europe for which Willy Brandt laid the foundations. With the European Union, democracy, prosperity, peace. We are building on his work with a new European Ostpolitik. Unlike Brandt, today we no longer have to take the detour via Moscow to talk to our eastern neighbours. Many partners in eastern and Central Europe view Russia very critically today - and German foreign policy must take the fears of our neighbours seriously. In addition to the offer of dialogue, clear German positions towards Moscow are therefore important in order to maintain trust in eastern Europe. Further reconciliation with our eastern neighbours – especially Poland – remains our great task. The legacy of Willy Brandt obliges us to do so. And we should be guided by courage and humility – as Brandt did fifty years ago at the Warsaw Ghetto monument.
-----------------
Another confirmation of the strategic alliance with Poland, and continue of "Drang nach Osten" politic.

The Poles? Why on them?
Because unlike Germany they have a functional military. In terms of "size" Russia is not that much of a conventional threat. But unlike Europe as a whole, they have cohesive weapons and efficient supply, and at least their more elite units are motivated and trained. Which is why Europe still needs US troops. But there's no reason the Germans cannot be as trained and motivated as they were in the 70s to 80s.

A European conventional force should be achievable, but it is a multi-year goal. Given the past century, I'd hope the US keeps providing some component of it. Europe is a trading partner. And Russia remains a nuclear power. Wasn't it Merlke who called them a gas station with nuclear weapons or something like that?
They are our "partners" only when they are weak. Strong Europe will be our enemy. That why we should not allow them to become "independent".

What do folks think about European efforts to forge an identity and a “great power” role independent of the U.S.? The articles below discuss continuing French and German discussions (and disagreements) about the need for a separate “EU Army” distinct from NATO, and efforts to build up a separate EU arms industry. Trump’s efforts to get Europe to pay more “for defending itself,” and trade disputes with Europe under his administration, have paradoxically led to talk of developing a more sovereign role in the world. Of course Europe has many internal conflicts. Personally I think Brexit will ultimately strengthen French-German-led European unity.

Has the EU’s “soft power” or independent thinking in trade or its sense of distinctness grown in the last 4 years — despite Brexit, Covid-19 and immigration problems? Will a Biden presidency repair trans-Atlantic unity or has permanent damage occurred? Is this all a fake effort of Macron (and Angela Merkel) to boost their popularity at home? Do NATO & the CIA and financial ties doom Europe to remain tied as a caboose to the American train? Are there really still strong common interests that bind Europe to the U.S. — or will Europe in future find it has more interests in separately negotiating with Russia and China?

PARIS (Reuters) - Europe still needs its own independent and sovereign defence strategy, even if it is dealing with a new U.S. government which may result in friendlier ties, French President Emmanuel Macron told the “Revue Grand Continent” publication.

In an interview with the publication, Macron rebuffed comments from German Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer to Politico on Nov. 2, in which the German minister said Europe would have to remain dependent on U.S. military protection for the near future.

“I am in complete disagreement with the opinion article published in Politico by the German defence minister,” said Macron, adding he believed German Chancellor Angela Merkel shared his position on this issue.

“The United States will only respect us as allies if we are serious about our own position, and if we have our own sovereignty regarding our defence,” said Macron.

“We need to continue to build up our own autonomy, just as the United States does for itself, and just as China does for itself,” added Macron.

Macron spoke to U.S. President-elect Joe Biden on Nov 10, and told Biden he was ready to work with him on issues such as the climate, health, and the fight against terrorism.

Macron: Europe needs its own sovereignty in defence, even with new U.S. government

The idea of a “European Army” is not new. This article from 2 years ago shows that it grew as German & French hostility to and from Donald Trump rose higher.

Merkel joins Macron in calling for EU army to complement NATO
As your link discussed, they have a multiplicity of weapons that makes supply impossible. It would be a long-term project. And while I don't see it in the link, the EU would still lack much of a nuclear deterrent, which would leave them open not just to black mail, but some tactical disadvantage.

But having a smaller US conventional force in Europe would be to everyone's advantage probably … except maybe the Baltics. Although any European force will have to heavily rely upon the Poles. I'm old enough that Germany still scares me.
France has nuclear weapons, they can hit major Russian cities.

Why would troops in the Baltics be bad? Seems like a good deterrent.

They are our "partners" only when they are weak. Strong Europe will be our enemy. That why we should not allow them to become "independent".

The U.S. strives for absolute global pre-eminence, for “full-spectrum dominance” in military, but also economic terms. This is an absolutely impossible goal, though for a short time after the collapse of the USSR many Western & American political theorists felt it was well within reach.

The U.S. can try, but in the end it will not succeed, in determining who (or which alliances of nations) are “to become independent.” In truth, no country can be economically “independent” in the modern world. Nor should any country seek to be. “Military supremacy” in the age of nuclear weapons (and potential cyber- and biological and ecological threats) is becoming even more a phantasm. In many ways it has drained the U.S. economy and distorted U.S. priorities and values. Time to give up “full-spectrum dominance” and encourage others to participate in peace-keeping missions all over the world. To open up investments in the Middle East to Chinese oil and construction companies, for example. Nobody should have illusions that all conflicts will end, that militaries will disappear. But the road we are on now leads to WWIII.

My view is that the U.S. should encourage its allies in Europe to follow a European-wide foreign policy, wherever they can agree on one. We should not fear European unity but encourage it. Europe should be encouraged to have its own armed forces, if only to help it politically & psychologically. Perhaps this can start first only with France & Germany and a few other countries. They will certainly be no threat to the U.S. or Russia. The U.S. should stop opposing Nordstream2 and end U.S. “secondary sanctions” against European companies that trade with Cuba, Venezuela, Iran, Russia and China. Wherever possible, when the U.S. military intervenes abroad it should be with and not against other major powers.

Last edited:
It is not about what I like or dislike. It is about how the things work in our world. 'Big' countries are almost always rivalries with their spheres of influence. And I definitely dont want to live in the spheres of China or Russia.

I had no problem to be a Russian or Chinese. Wonderful rich cultures - what doesn't mean "Russia" and "China" would be happy, if I would live there. But my question was another question: Why do you not send the soldiers of your own country to Russia and China and kill "them", whoever they are, so you are able to feel safe? Why do you think the USA should do so? Or whatelse do you understand, when you say the USA should confront the Russian and the Chinese empire? What about, if the USA would decide to conquer your country and to destroy there all good goods, which are made in China or made with the direct or indirect help of China? Would this be the right act, how the USA should confront China, because you love, that this will happen?

Last edited:
The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

He (and any other European) should be happy that the USA confront Russia and China, because Americans allow you to live. If Russia or China wins - you'll have serious problems.

From my point of view is the USA and their lifestyle a main reason why all Germans are dying out. I speak sometimes even about the US-American curse to kill everything, what the USA is touching. So I do not share your optimism in case of the USA. You are not any longer the vivid nation full of migrants from all over the world, which you was once. What you you will be is not clear. And in case of Russia and China I don't have any idea what "Russia wins" or "China wins" could mean - except to win more democracy.

Last edited:
The Poles? Why on them?
You know:

First, the USA lives from the resources of the whole world controlled by discriminating economical system, which allows unequal exchange - "real resources to virtual money". Or " if you don't want to trade with us on our terms- we'll make you problems or even bomb you".
Second - you, Europeans, don't understand conception of freedom. You need dictatorship - Putin's, Macron's or even Duda's. It's your corrupted nature. All freedom you have - was given you by Americans.

Which zoo do you come from?

Forum List

Back