Looks like some HAVE learned...

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I wonder what prompted them to change their stance and cooperate? I wonder why they would want relations with the USA? Seems odd after so many people said our international relations would suffer as a result of our actions. :)

Libya Discloses Stockpiling Mustard Gas

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Libya acknowledged stockpiling 44,000 pounds of mustard gas and disclosed the location of a production plant in a declaration submitted Friday to the world's chemical weapons watchdog.

Libyan Col. Mohamed Abu Al Huda handed over 14 file cartons disclosing Libya's chemical weapons programs to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, said general director Rogelio Pfirter.

The Hague (news - web sites)-based OPCW oversees compliance with the 1993 international treaty banning chemical weapons, which Libya joined last month.

Libya also declared thousands of tons of precursors that could be used to make sarin nerve gas, and two storage facilities, Pfirter said. The production and storage facilities were near Tripoli and in the south of the country, Pfirter said.

The declaration was a major step in Libya's eliminating its weapons of mass destruction, which it unexpectedly promised in December, hoping to end its international isolation and restore relations with the United States.

In addition to cooperating with the OPCW, Libya is also working with inspectors from the United Nations (news - web sites)' International Atomic Energy Agency to eliminate its nuclear weapons programs.

On Thursday, the White House lifted the ban on Americans traveling to Libya and said it would expand the U.S. diplomatic presence in Tripoli. It also said U.S. companies that were in Libya before the sanctions can begin negotiating their return, pending the end of sanctions.

Pfirter said the documents handed over by Libya "will allow us to certify that everything declared there will be destroyed and will never be used for any other purpose."

He added that he believed Libya's declaration was complete and comprehensive.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040305/ap_on_re_af/chemical_weapons_libya_1

Originally posted by jimnyc

The declaration was a major step in Libya's eliminating its weapons of mass destruction, which it unexpectedly promised in December, hoping to end its international isolation and restore relations with the United States.

What a bunch a hooey. U.N. inspectors should have been the force to deal with Liyba. Even if it would have taken 10-15 years. This way the world community could feel better about Libya's elimination of WMD. How dare they be motivated by renewed relations with the United States.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
What a bunch a hooey. U.N. inspectors should have been the force to deal with Liyba. Even if it would have taken 10-15 years. This way the world community could feel better about Libya's elimination of WMD. How dare they be motivated by renewed relations with the United States.
they are jsut trying to get in with us. they must want money or something

I think it is good the way Libya reacted. But there must be people out there who are beside themselves. Without U.N. envolvement Liyba moved in the right direction, and soon after Sadam was captured.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
I think it is good the way Libya reacted. But there must be people out there who are beside themselves. Without U.N. envolvement Liyba moved in the right direction, and soon after Sadam was captured.
thats becasue he knew we were makin a list and checkin it twice...lol

you may very well be right johnney... I prefer to think that the Libyains decided it was time to re-join the human race....for whatever reason...I :clap: them for the recent choice they have made and welcome them back as a member!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually there is a simple reason they are doing this. Quadaffi is getting old, and wants power to transfer over to his son, who wants libya to rejoin humanity. And wants better relations with the US. Im sure the Iraq situation helped alittle.

Forum List

Back