Looking for....

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
Looking for a cheap laptop that has a disc reader.
Doesnt need to have a large screen or be super powerful or anything I just need it to run reload and ballistics info.
Tried looking at best buy but none of them have a disc reader.
Can I hook one up on the side? Once I have it loaded I'll be fine.
There are ways to get it on my mac but it sounds like a royal pain in the ass.
As you can tell I dont know shit about this kinda stuff and figured the best solution would be to find a small laptop with a reader and be done with it.

Doesnt need to have a large screen or be super powerful or anything I just need it to run reload and ballistics info.
As you can tell I dont know shit about this kinda stuff and figured the best solution would be to find a small laptop with a reader and be done with it.

What kind of disc?

You should be able to get one that plugs into a USB port.

Peripheral.

Just hook a portable one up. All it needs is a 3.0 USB port.

What kind of disc?

Peripheral.

It's a CD-ROM.
It's the only way you can get it because of German copyrights.
Thats my problem. I use a MAC and it has no USB ports but I do have the adapter that allows me to use a USB but from what I've read it's not compatible with MAC only Windows.
So I should be able to buy a cheap laptop with a USB port and run the disk through a peripheral unit? As in a separate piece of equipment?

As long as I use a computer that runs Windows right?

What kind of disc?

Peripheral.

It's a CD-ROM.
Thats my problem. I use a MAC and it has no USB ports but I do have the adapter that allows me to use a USB but from what I've read it's not compatible with MAC only Windows.
So I should be able to buy a cheap laptop with a USB port and run the disk through a peripheral unit? As in a separate piece of equipment?

No longer as well versed as I used to be and definitely not with MACs anymore sorry.

Sounds like JackOfNoTrades is better versed.

I would be surprised if MAC doesn't have a way. Perhaps a wireless device? Blue tooth. Or some other port? Are there any hardware interface ports?

Other yes to a PC laptop.

Some do have drives built in. I get a bigger "engineering" laptop thru work and they always have a CD / DVD Drive.

Otherwise a peripheral drive via USB (or other?).

I have an older desktop from my mommy - hand me down.

CD / DVD Drive died. I found a USB one at work during a electronic recycling event at work.

Everything goes to a central room that you can scavenge from before recycling!!!
Batteries, power supplies, chargers and etc.!!!!!!

I know my Goodwill always has a stack of cheap laptops in the display case

Last edited:

What kind of disc?

Peripheral.

It's a CD-ROM.

No longer as well versed as I used to be and definitely not with MACs anymore sorry.

I would be surprised if MAC doesn't have a way. Perhaps a wireless device? Blue tooth. Or some other port? Are there any hardware interface ports?

Other yes to a PC laptop.

Some do have drives built in. I get a bigger "engineering" laptop and they always have a CD / DVD Drive.

I know my Goodwill always has a stack of cheap laptops in the display case

Like I said in my original post. There are ways to make it work with MAC but you have to jump through a shitload of hoops and have heard there can be multiple problems,something I dont want to deal with since I'm no computer wizard by any stretch.

From what I've seen you can buy a cheap laptop for 500 bucks or less which is fine.
I want a dedicated laptop to use just for this purpose.
My plan is to buy a cheap Windows machine just for this software.

No, they make USB CD/DVD ROM's that are compatible with MAC. In fact most of the ones you buy for Windows are MAC OS compatible. But you need a USB port, either a USB-A connector or the smaller USB-C connector. If you don't have one, you are stuck.
What adapter converts to USB on your MAC?

No, they make USB CD/DVD ROM's that are compatible with MAC. In fact most of the ones you buy for Windows are MAC OS compatible. But you need a USB port, either a USB-A connector or the smaller USB-C connector. If you don't have one, you are stuck.

I'd have to dig it up.
Haven't used it in a while.
I'm really looking to do it on a dedicated laptop.
The price for a cheap laptop running windows is ridiculously low.
And again I've heard there are a shitload of problems when you try it on a mac machine.
I'd rather spend 500 bucks on a dedicated machine and set up spreadsheets to keep track of all my shooting info.
The Wife is a pro at Windows and said she'd set it up to run the spreadsheets and keep track of all my info from Chronograph speeds which can be directly loaded onto windows from the Chrono on different rounds,info on which primers and powder work the best for different applications and the like.

None. MACs have USB ports. USB ports are an industry standard.

Actually MACs dont have USB ports.
Unless you buy them.

I'd have to dig it up.
And again I've heard there are a shitload of problems when you try it on a mac machine.
I'd rather spend 500 bucks on a dedicated machine and set up spreadsheets to keep track of all my shooting info.
The Wife is a pro at Windows and said she'd set it up to run the spreadsheets and keep track of all my info from Chronograph speeds which can be directly loaded onto windows from the Chrono on different rounds,info on which primers and powder work the best for different applications and the like.
I recently bought an ACER Aspire 5. Right now you can get one on Amazon for $364.99.

Amazon.com: Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop, 15.6 inches Full HD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, Vega 3 Graphics, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 in S Mode, A515-43-R19L, Silver: Computers & Accessories

It doesn't have a CD/DVD drive so I bought a plug and play external CD/DVD drive for less than $30.

That's well under $500.

I'd have to dig it up.
I recently bought an ACER Aspire 5. Right now you can get one on Amazon for $364.99.

Amazon.com: Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop, 15.6 inches Full HD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, Vega 3 Graphics, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 in S Mode, A515-43-R19L, Silver: Computers & Accessories

It doesn't have a CD/DVD drive so I bought a plug and play external CD/DVD drive for less than $30.

That's well under $500.

Thats what I'm looking for!!!

What kind of disc?

Peripheral.

It's a CD-ROM.
Pawnshop chromebook and external cd rom. Probably under $100.

Unless you buy them.
:rolleyes:
That's like selling you a car and when it's delivered they tell you that you have to buy wheels for it.

Unless you buy them.
:rolleyes:
That's like selling you a car and when it's delivered they tell you that you have to buy wheels for it.

It is what it is.

What kind of disc?

Peripheral.

It's a CD-ROM.

Looking for new.

What kind of disc?

Peripheral.

It's a CD-ROM.

Looking for new.
My bad.

I can say right now that your missles won't get anywhere near the target if your running ballistics on a laptop.

I can say right now that your missles won't get anywhere near the target if your running ballistics on a laptop.

The software has a very good reputation.
And I dont see why it would be any less reliable than any other tables that are used,it's not like they're just pulling numbers out their ass any more than print material.

Forum List

Back