Look what I just picked up. A 1978 Regency Brougham with 12k original miles.

Back in the day, my friend had a 1965 Olds 98 that would do 0-50 in 5 seconds flat. I had a 1964 Olds Cutlass with the 310 hp 4-4-2 engine. With dual exhausts and 2.78 gears, I clocked 142 mph on a measured mile. His was quicker, but mine was faster.
Did it have Mallory Dual Point cigarette lighters in the dash? Chrome Muffler Bearings?
Hi-click flasher fluid?

I love finding these gems. Bought it from a dealer in NY for 2800 dollars delivered. 403 purrs and purrs.

View attachment 370241
View attachment 370243
View attachment 370244View attachment 370246View attachment 370247

Where's it been kept for these 42 years??

And how dry-rotted are those whitewalls?
This was from a lot. Tires are newer. Though the 12k cannot be authenticated, I am now the second owner. First owner was named like, Elmer Jones...lol

Drivers seat has no wear, passenger like new. Engine is clean

Aren't you curious where it spent 42 years? Because it cannot have been on a lot. It would be covered in mildew and mouse turds and sunlight fading at the least. Not to mention what's happened to the fluids.
I can't hire a private investigator to find out. It is only a 3 k car. Ya can barely buy a pos for 3k...lol

I hired a mechanic to inspect the car by the local car lot. He said the cars there are decent. He thoroughly inspected it and told me if I didn't buy it he would.

I've probably bought 20 cars in the last 10 yrs, a lot sight unseen. A local mechanic is paid to go over the car. The brake lines are original but in decent shape. Those will be replaced. Other than the headliner needs replaced, not much at all left. Little surface rust.

F it is 42 yrs old...lol
Pogo doesn't like it, so you should sell it.

Pfeh. It's an autonomic transmission, I don't want nuttin' to do wit it. :puke:

But I do know what happens when a car sits for 42 years.
How do you know it just sat?

I don't.
That's why I axed in the first place. For all I know it could have been driven every day for three-quarters of a mile.
So you wouldn't have bought it.

Okay, looks like the thread's over, folks. Pogo has passed judgement [sic].

Nobody asked if I would have bought it. Quit the fucking trolling.
I asked how it had been stored, BECAUSE THAT'S AN ISSUE.

Here's an idea: FUCK OFF.
Oh, goodness, I bet he's never bought an old vehicle before! I'm sure he wishes he'd gotten your advice first!

:dig:

Last edited:
I love finding these gems. Bought it from a dealer in NY for 2800 dollars delivered. 403 purrs and purrs.

View attachment 370241
View attachment 370243

Who cares. There is one or two tire companies that especially manufacture tires for specific eras.

So you're actually saying, you're so dedicated to Contrarianism, that you'll pretend you'd just walk up to a 42 year old car, with a wad of cash to buy it, and be completely incurious about its condition.

See your doctor.

So you're actually saying, you're so dedicated to Contrarianism, that you'll pretend you'd just walk up to a 42 year old car, with a wad of cash to buy it, and be completely incurious about its condition.

See your doctor.

View attachment 370241
View attachment 370243

Who cares. There is one or two tire companies that especially manufacture tires for specific eras.

See your doctor.

How am I being contrary? He's looking at the car, it runs and is in beautiful condition. Sure, I'd look at it close but today $2,800. isn't a "wad of cash" and I'd quickly hand over $2,800. How can you go wrong? Over a lot of decades, I've bought a lot of really old cars, not classics or antiques just old and little used. The first thing I'd do is replace all the hoses, belts and have the AC gone over thoroughly. Then I'd use it for a second car putting 150-200 thousand miles on it and then donate it to a charity. All I'd use it for was a day to day car for business and I got to write off every mile of business use. What's not to love?

The other good thing is, if God forbid you're ever in a wreck, you win.
Nope. No crumple zones, no airbags, crappy seatbelts, no intrusion protection in the doors, no collapsing steering column, and so on. If you get T-boned by a CRX you're toast.
You are correct. nothing but 100% brittle like metal. About 4800 lbs though.
Most of it in the undercarriage and engine compartment where it won't do you any good.

I sincerely doubt that Persistence Of Memory is buying it to use in this weekend's demolition derby at his local dirt track.

See your doctor.

View attachment 370241
View attachment 370243

See your doctor.

How am I being contrary? He's looking at the car, it runs and is in beautiful condition. Sure, I'd look at it close but today $2,800. isn't a "wad of cash" and I'd quickly hand over $2,800. How can you go wrong? Over a lot of decades, I've bought a lot of really old cars, not classics or antiques just old and little used. The first thing I'd do is replace all the hoses, belts and have the AC gone over thoroughly. Then I'd use it for a second car putting 150-200 thousand miles on it and then donate it to a charity. All I'd use it for was a day to day car for business and I got to write off every mile of business use. What's not to love?

I really don't give a shit what you'd do, aside from reducing the price $200. I simply pointed out that you're sitting here whining about the fact that I expressed curiosity about what condition 42-year-old tires would look like. Go get a hand job or sump'm.

View attachment 370241
View attachment 370243

This was from a lot. Tires are newer. Though the 12k cannot be authenticated, I am now the second owner. First owner was named like, Elmer Jones...lol

Drivers seat has no wear, passenger like new. Engine is clean

Aren't you curious where it spent 42 years? Because it cannot have been on a lot. It would be covered in mildew and mouse turds and sunlight fading at the least. Not to mention what's happened to the fluids.

What difference does it make?

To me, none. To somebody who just threw three thousand bucks at it, quite a lot.
Get it? A "lot"? I kill me.
3K is chump change. To you it is probably more than you will earn in a lifetime.

It's less than I've spend on any of my cars, but still $3K is $3K, if I'm gonna drop it on a 42 year old car --- or even a ten year old car --- I want to know its history.

Good for you! I bet you never rode motorcycles either! :D

A "survivor," sweet.
Obama is pissed off as we speak, what an asshole with cash for clunkers

Yep! Failed former President Barack Hussein Obama cost low and middle-income workers tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars by forcing way up the cost of used cars and it still has it's effect today in getting used parts for old cars.

Upper income and wealthy workers were able to turn junkers into brand new cars with huge tax credits.

A "survivor," sweet.
Obama is pissed off as we speak, what an asshole with cash for clunkers

Yep! Failed former President Barack Hussein Obama cost low and middle-income workers tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars by forcing way up the cost of used cars and it still has it's effect today in getting used parts for old cars.
The car dealers took a huge beating in that fiasco.

I had this beat up Regency with a 3800 motor. Did not qualify by one F MPG....LOL................Couldn't even collect 3 grand because of one F mile per gallon.F Odumbo.

unbelievably fast car

Wow! :aargh: The way that thing passes is incredible! I bet that guy took pole.

It's a 1966 4200lb Oldsmobile against real 1500lb race cars, it was a short race, but he won.
He was spinning the tires a all the way around the track.
It has a 1068hp twin turbo Corvette engine.
It has a full interior and a radio in it and it doesn't have a rollcage.
That guy was driving like a madman.
He got up on two wheels at one point.

Last edited:
Nope. No crumple zones, no airbags, crappy seatbelts, no intrusion protection in the doors, no collapsing steering column, and so on. If you get T-boned by a CRX you're toast.
Most of it in the undercarriage and engine compartment where it won't do you any good.

I sincerely doubt that Persistence Of Memory is buying it to use in this weekend's demolition derby at his local dirt track.
I never suggested he was.

It's a 1966 4200lb Oldsmobile against real 1500lb race cars, it was a short race, but he won.
He was spinning the tires a all the way around the track.
It has a 1068hp twin turbo Corvette engine.
It has a full interior and a radio in it and it doesn't have a rollcage.
That guy was driving like a madman.
He got up on two wheels at one point.

so-what-pic-S.jpg

I never suggested he was.

Sure you are. You're jealous and would argue with a statue. Grow up.

I bought a '66 GOAT in 1969 for $1,500. with fewer than 3,000 miles. That was my beloved toy for decades. Broke my heart when I sold it about three years ago.
I helped a friend drag race his 1966 GTO for years

Decades ago I decided I wanted it strictly as a road car, a really hot road car. A company in Atlanta rebuilds NASCAR engines, with the tuned exhaust and other little expensive doohickies it put out 521 hp. They put in a special beefed-up transmission and rear end. Strengthened the frame so it didn't twist and added four-wheel disk brakes.

I had wives that claimed I loved that car more than them. Can you imagine?

I sold it to someone who had asked me to let them know. I'm well over 70 now and realized that the last thing our small city with thousands of college kids with their hot cars needed was an old codger with a 500+ hp super car, tooling around not acting my age! :D

Last edited:

Forum List

Back