Lol, you can't make this up! 'Study finds racism causes Black Americans' brains to age faster than people of other races — increasing dementia risk'

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Not to make light of dementia, but is there nothing they won't blame on racism?!!!!! :laugh:

Black brains age quicker than white brains, and racism might be why, according to a new study.

A new study, published in JAMA Neurology on Monday, analyzed the brain scans of 455 Black participants, 275 white participants, and 737 Latinx participants.

Researchers found brain scans of middle-aged and elderly Black participants had more signs of cerebrovascular disease, or disorders that effect blood supply to the brain and that are common among people with Alzheimer's, than white brains of the same age.

I've been able to make friends with 3 older Black men at my golf course. They are between 75 and 85 years old. They seem very happy, healthy and are the nicest guys you can imagine. And in all the conversations I've had with them, Racism has not even come up once. Imagine that.

Not to make light of dementia, but is there nothing they won't blame on racism?!!!!! :laugh:

I suppose the outsized Latino sample didn’t suffer from racism. And the study found NO CAUSE for the faster aging. Since the blacks in the study all had more melanin, melanin must be the cause. It’s a more viable theory than racism causing it.

Wouldn't you think that brains that age faster would be a shortcut to maturity and a good thing for inventiveness and progress and scientific advancement? Maybe JAMA has it backwards.

So may I ask the question?

How (the fuck) do the researchers know that RACISM was the cause of their deterioration? Seems like total bullshit to me. If memory serves, Black men are somewhat more likely to be economically struggling in life. Could that be the cause? Indeed, there are a number of other stressors in life, most of which have nothing to do with race...marital strife, kid problems, bad luck at cards, hard time in the office or other workplace. In-law problems? Even white guys have those.

Bullshit.

How (the fuck) do the researchers know that RACISM was the cause of their deterioration? Seems like total bullshit to me. If memory serves, Black men are somewhat more likely to be economically struggling in life. Could that be the cause? Indeed, there are a number of other stressors in life, most of which have nothing to do with race...marital strife, kid problems, bad luck at cards, hard time in the office or other workplace. In-law problems? Even white guys have those.

Bullshit.
The researchers didn’t say that. The numb nuts who wrote the article postulated it.

Bullshit.
The researchers said racism MIGHT be one of the causes. The numb nuts who wrote the story pushed it forward as THE reason.

Anytime a "study" finds 'racism' is the root cause of such and such malady, it then gives the "researchers" carte blanche to demand 'changes', and "changes" much of the time equates to 'money'. Government funded money!

Well if blacks are a minority and racism hurts them then maybe all the blacks should go to another country where racism doesn't exist so they can be healthy and happy.

So for the sake of all blacks health we should relocate them somewhere better. I'd be willing to donate to that cause.

Plus it helps America also. If racism only exists because of a small part of a population isn't the most logical course of action to solve the problem is to remove that small percent?

If you put diesel in a gas car and it doesn't run right you don't change out the cars entire fuel system and engine to solve the problem, you simply don't put diesel in it.

Bullshit.
You don't think racism has anything to do with the economic inequalities in this country?

The author of the article did make it up, since I know none of you bothered to open the actual study, let me help you out...

Race and ethnicity disparities in aging and Alzheimer disease and related dementias may be due partially to social forces that accelerate brain aging, especially in Black middle-aged adults.

The author of the article did make it up, since I know none of you bothered to open the actual study, let me help you out...

Race and ethnicity disparities in aging and Alzheimer disease and related dementias may be due partially to social forces that accelerate brain aging, especially in Black middle-aged adults.

And? I read it, I see exactly what the claim is. They believe the constant stress of societal racism causes an increase of aging of the brain.

And? I read it, I see exactly what the claim is. They believe the constant stress of societal racism causes an increase of aging of the brain.

That you need to insert the word "racism" shows you did not read it.

That you need to insert the word "racism" shows you did not read it.

Huh? :itsok:

Are you reading the same article?

"The paper suggest the "cumulative effects of oppression, environmental adversity, and psychological stress" — or a lifetime of exposure to racism and discrimination — might be causing Black brain to age faster, since scientists have previously determined these factors can lead to cognitive decline."

"The paper suggest the "cumulative effects of oppression, environmental adversity, and psychological stress" — or a lifetime of exposure to racism and discrimination — might be causing Black brain to age faster, since scientists have previously determined these factors can lead to cognitive decline."

And that brings me back to my original assertion, that there is nothing they won't blame 'racism' on.

Forum List

Back