Lockdowns Did Not Work

Guy thinks he's being clever. The death rate would naturally be fairly constant everywhere among positive cases. Only a disingenuous asshole would use that single factor to make such a broad declaration. Slowing the rate of spread is key.
Science says otherwise.
You say otherwise. I'm using science to critically examine the claim which is lacking the correct data points and proper statistical analysis. There's no way to even make that deterination until it's over and all the growth curves are lined up and adjusted for the incubation period of the virus plotted against when the various lockdown orders were implemented.
Herd immunity is the only way to ensure effective immunity for a population.
Not only will a population acquire immunity for this year but as the virus mutates and reappears in a slightly different form in subsequent seasons immune systems will still have resistance.
Through quarantines and lockdowns we achieve a partial immunity which will almost certainly ensure another outbreak in the fall...which is exactly what we will have.
"Herd immunity" is the same as saying that the many inevitable deaths are acceptable losses simply because saving them is too hard.

Guy thinks he's being clever. The death rate would naturally be fairly constant everywhere among positive cases. Only a disingenuous asshole would use that single factor to make such a broad declaration. Slowing the rate of spread is key.
Science says otherwise.
You say otherwise. I'm using science to critically examine the claim which is lacking the correct data points and proper statistical analysis. There's no way to even make that deterination until it's over and all the growth curves are lined up and adjusted for the incubation period of the virus plotted against when the various lockdown orders were implemented.
Not only will a population acquire immunity for this year but as the virus mutates and reappears in a slightly different form in subsequent seasons immune systems will still have resistance.
Through quarantines and lockdowns we achieve a partial immunity which will almost certainly ensure another outbreak in the fall...which is exactly what we will have.
"Herd immunity" is the same as saying that the many inevitable deaths are acceptable losses simply because saving them is too hard.
This is a virus that can live in the air in water droplets for thirty minutes...it can live on hard surfaces for days. You MUST interact at some level with your fellow man. You WILL come into contact with it.
Hiding and destroying the world's economy is beyond stupid.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F8850e4ac-84de-11ea-b872-8db45d5f6714
This is a normal trend line as populations experience viruses for about four weeks peaking within the first two. All of this quarantine did nothing but harm if anything.
Do you think that chart says that?

Science says otherwise.
So you agree that we don't know and yet halted the greatest economy in the world and as much as 30% could be unemployed because we don't know?

You don't go outside to get mail, to get groceries, to put out the trash? Evidence shows not for everyone but for most, lockdowns don't change your odds. Don't kill the messenger.

So taking my trash can to the end of the driveway with nobody else in sight is the same as being in a packed football stadium? :eusa_think:
Packed...how many of those 75k do you interact with?

This is a normal trend line as populations experience viruses for about four weeks peaking within the first two. All of this quarantine did nothing but harm if anything.
I think thst chart shows a normal curve where they are peaking at around 30 days...leveling off and many are declining. The ones that are not are probably a result of what I have been typing about on this thread...sequestering, hiding, quarantines are flattening and spreading the curve.
We are just prolonging the inevitable.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
You don't go outside to get mail, to get groceries, to put out the trash? Evidence shows not for everyone but for most, lockdowns don't change your odds. Don't kill the messenger.

So taking my trash can to the end of the driveway with nobody else in sight is the same as being in a packed football stadium? :eusa_think:
No one, not even the sports teams owners, are talking about reopening sporting events by packing fans into stadiums, so all you did was toss out a straw dog.

Science says otherwise.
This is a virus that can live in the air in water droplets for thirty minutes...it can live on hard surfaces for days. You MUST interact at some level with your fellow man. You WILL come into contact with it.
It's bad to be sure but it's the only weapon we have. If they were just letting it run wild and doing nothing the civil unrest would be just as bad. Promoting order and keeping the peace is what we expect of our government so that is what they are doing. Plagues have often toppled nations when the leadership does not do enough to fight it. See "The masque of the red death" by Edgar Allen Poe for further .reflection on my comments.

I think thst chart shows a normal curve where they are peaking at around 30 days...leveling off and many are declining. The ones that are not are probably a result of what I have been typing about on this thread...sequestering, hiding, quarantines are flattening and spreading the curve.
It's almost like you know nothing about exponential growth.

Science says otherwise.
It's bad to be sure but it's the only weapon we have. If they were just letting it run wild and doing nothing the civil unrest would be just as bad. Promoting order and keeping the peace is what we expect of our government so that is what they are doing. Plagues have often toppled nations when the leadership does not do enough to fight it. See "The masque of the red death" by Edgar Allen Poe for further .reflection on my comments.
No it wouldn't be...this virus has been in California for months...yet respiratory illness deaths across the range are not abnormal this year.
4% of LA County have tested positive for it (10M) ~350K people. Yet where are the mass graves?
This is all a giant hype fest. This is a Corona virus just like those who have come before. It takes the ill and the elderly..nothing special...nothing tragic.
We have been duped.

Appears all it did was saddle the taxpayer with a couple of trillion dollars more debt. ... :cool:
That was the main idea since the virus reached the US. Banks found the best opportunity to "loan" trillions of dollars to "combat the invisible enemy".

In former wars the banks borrowed billions of dollars to but arms. But this virus has been the new gold mine.

And wait, right now oil corporations will use this incredible opportunity of having people isolated and without other topic to talk but the dumb virus (Brainwashing of the Masses 101) and surely will try to attack Iran. The whole unique package that will add some more billions to the debt.

And you will feel "safe"... ha ha ha ha

I read that graph...that one is telling me exactly what I am telling you...growth till 30 days and then leveling or decline.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
I read that graph...that one is telling me exactly what I am telling you...growth till 30 days and then leveling or decline.
Look at it again. Most of the curves have a star where the lock-downs began. You might notice how the nearly 45 degree upward trend begins to flatten. Every place has done something ranging from strict lock-downs to social distancing to testing and tracking cases. The effectiveness of various strategies will be discussed at length for a very long time but that's not the purpose of OPs article at all. It's to devalue the human cost of the coldly capitalist "let them die" argument of the right wing.

No one, not even the sports teams owners, are talking about reopening sporting events by packing fans into stadiums, so all you did was toss out a straw dog.

You're wrong.

The title of this thread is "LOCKDOWNS DID NOT WORK".

The hell they didn't! The lock downs worked better than expected...mainly because so many people cooperated and nobody thought they would (Americans are a a pesky bunch).

Then you have simple common sense. I have much much MUCH less of a chance catching a virus while sitting at home alone than I do being in a crowd (bus, train, plane, stadium, restaurant, etc.).

And finally...it's a "STRAW MAN"...not straw dog :)

This is science NOT opinion.

The most basic way to test this thesis is by direct comparison. As of 6 April, seven US states had not adopted shelter-in place orders and their stats are in line with those that did even when adjusting for population density.

Open the country!

Lockdowns work to keep non-essential businesses temporarily closed. They might not work to keep everyone where they are requested to be, but the law has the upper hand and has the power to force quarantine and social separation. Many people might not agree this necessary but it isn't as bad as it could be and for the most part in most states people aren't much limited.

Forum List

Back