"Lock him up, lock him up"

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Boris Johnson 'will be forced from power if he defies no-deal law'

Boris Johnson would trigger a legal and constitutional crisis that would force his resignation as prime minister if he failed to obey a law mandating him to seek another extension to Brexit, according to high-level legal advice obtained by Labour.

The conclusions of a team of leading QCs, which have been sent to the shadow Brexit secretary, Keir Starmer, make clear that the prime minister would be declared in contempt of court if he tried to remain in No 10 while refusing to obey legislation to prevent the UK leaving the EU without a deal on 31 October. The new law is expected to gain royal assent from the Queen early next week.

Well we do live in interesting times. Johnson has stated that he will break the law by refusing to obey the Brexit delaying bill. He has 3 options on this, one of which will see him behind bars.

It concerns me that these fanatics are setting so many dangerous precedents for our country. Right wing authoritarians are no respecters of democracy.

In normal times the following story would cause shock and anger but we are becoming immune to that.
Tories plan to contest John Bercow's seat in breach of convention

I despise Bercow but this is a totally inappropriate abuse of Parliament.

Boris Johnson would trigger a legal and constitutional crisis that would force his resignation as prime minister if he failed to obey a law mandating him to seek another extension to Brexit, according to high-level legal advice obtained by Labour.

The conclusions of a team of leading QCs, which have been sent to the shadow Brexit secretary, Keir Starmer, make clear that the prime minister would be declared in contempt of court if he tried to remain in No 10 while refusing to obey legislation to prevent the UK leaving the EU without a deal on 31 October. The new law is expected to gain royal assent from the Queen early next week.

Well we do live in interesting times. Johnson has stated that he will break the law by refusing to obey the Brexit delaying bill. He has 3 options on this, one of which will see him behind bars.

It concerns me that these fanatics are setting so many dangerous precedents for our country. Right wing authoritarians are no respecters of democracy.

In normal times the following story would cause shock and anger but we are becoming immune to that.

The law is crap created to favor a certain group or elite. Brute will an force of the stronger not the f*king complaining-decadent-weak. This is the way.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk Pro

Historically, locking up your political rivals isn't the way the English resolve their issues.

towerhill.jpg

The law is crap created to favor a certain group or elite. Brute will an force of the stronger not the f*king complaining-decadent-weak. This is the way.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk Pro
Changing the law is better than breaking it.

We'll see what BoJo is going to do. Starting to hyperventilate now while all we get is trial balloons and speculation is not advisable.

As to Bercow, I love the man. If anyone is capable of steering the Commons through the coming turbulence, and to help them to retain some semblance of stature, it's probably Bercow. On the other hand, in a Democracy voters are supposed to have a real choice, not being presented with some sort of nobility to gain the seat virtually unchallenged. So, if the Tories have a problem with Bercow - and the Commons gaining control over their own business appears to be a problem to them - they absolutely should challenge him. In turn, the Tories should be known, henceforth, as the party in favor of Parliament being ordered around like a lackey. Yes, absolutely, they should run on that.

We'll see what BoJo is going to do. Starting to hyperventilate now while all we get is trial balloons and speculation is not advisable.

As to Bercow, I love the man. If anyone is capable of steering the Commons through the coming turbulence, and to help them to retain some semblance of stature, it's probably Bercow. On the other hand, in a Democracy voters are supposed to have a real choice, not being presented with some sort of nobility to gain the seat virtually unchallenged. So, if the Tories have a problem with Bercow - and the Commons gaining control over their own business appears to be a problem to them - they absolutely should challenge him. In turn, the Tories should be known, henceforth, as the party in favor of Parliament being ordered around like a lackey. Yes, absolutely, they should run on that.
Going after Bercow is just thuggish intimidation. Again it sets a precedent. They havent really thought it through though. Bercow is still a tory and the electors will have a choice of two tories in the same election. Lets say he wins, how will the knuckleheads cope with him for the next four years ?
They have despised him for years but this latest antic shows the lack of any brain at work.

Going after Bercow is just thuggish intimidation. Again it sets a precedent. They havent really thought it through though. Bercow is still a tory and the electors will have a choice of two tories in the same election. Lets say he wins, how will the knuckleheads cope with him for the next four years ?
They have despised him for years but this latest antic shows the lack of any brain at work.

Challenging someone in an election is "thuggish intimidation"? Really? I consider that a rather odd understanding of democracy.

How they will deal with Bercow in case he wins is an open question for them to answer. They may (or may not) re-elect him as speaker. Is there a problem with that? Of course, a former speaker who stands again is routinely re-elected to that position, but that tradition may not hold.

Otherwise, my impression is that Bercow isn't easily intimidated. Neither should he be.

Well it is and it sets a precedent. Bercow can look after himself but its out there now and future speakers will now have this threat hanging over them. Its corrosive and undermines parliament.

Anyway Bercow has announced his departure date now. I would have Mr Grieve in his place.

Forum List

Back