Living with a Chevrolet Volt

martinjlm

Apr 23, 2012
When we took delivery of my wife's 2012 Chevrolet Volt back in March, I figured we'd be putting gas in it every 6 weeks or so.

Now, here we are 8-1/2 months and 8,930 miles later and I'm refueling it for the first time. Spent $24.50 for 6.6 gallons of premium (tank is 9.3 gallons, so there was still about 2.7 gallons left)

GasInVolt.jpg

When I did my first calculations to see whether it made more sense to lease the Volt or go with our second or third choice vehicles (2012 Chevrolet Equinox or 2013 Chevrolet Malibu) I factored in the idea that the first 35 miles would be electrically driven, then I added in gas driven miles. What I did not factor in is that since most of my wife's trips are less than 20 miles, she would be returning home and plugging back in, so by the time she needed to make another trip, she would be back at or near a full charge.

As a result, she often went weeks without burning any gas. So our total energy cost for the car are $344.50 for 8+ months. That's $320 in electricity cost (we have a flat $40/mo deal with DTE Energy) + $24.50 in gas. That amounts to 3.86 cents per mile driven.

How did you calculate the electric bill apportioned to the car and not the house? I am going to call BS on the $320 over 8 1/2 months. Nobodies electricity is that cheap.

2013 MSRP on a Volt is just shy of $40,000 but it costs GM 60-70,000 to build, Thank you Gov't subsidy!. Contrast that with my Wife's Toyota Yaris which was $14,000 and gets an average of 38-40 MPG (44 on one stretch).

How many years would it take to make up $26,000 in gas savings to justify the initial expense?

2013 MSRP on a Volt is just shy of $40,000 but it costs GM 60-70,000 to build, Thank you Gov't subsidy!. Contrast that with my Wife's Toyota Yaris which was $14,000 and gets an average of 38-40 MPG (44 on one stretch).

How many years would it take to make up $26,000 in gas savings to justify the initial expense?

It will catch fire first...

When we took delivery of my wife's 2012 Chevrolet Volt back in March, I figured we'd be putting gas in it every 6 weeks or so.

Now, here we are 8-1/2 months and 8,930 miles later and I'm refueling it for the first time. Spent $24.50 for 6.6 gallons of premium (tank is 9.3 gallons, so there was still about 2.7 gallons left)

GasInVolt.jpg

When I did my first calculations to see whether it made more sense to lease the Volt or go with our second or third choice vehicles (2012 Chevrolet Equinox or 2013 Chevrolet Malibu) I factored in the idea that the first 35 miles would be electrically driven, then I added in gas driven miles. What I did not factor in is that since most of my wife's trips are less than 20 miles, she would be returning home and plugging back in, so by the time she needed to make another trip, she would be back at or near a full charge.

As a result, she often went weeks without burning any gas. So our total energy cost for the car are $344.50 for 8+ months. That's $320 in electricity cost (we have a flat $40/mo deal with DTE Energy) + $24.50 in gas. That amounts to 3.86 cents per mile driven.

1. Based on energy use, the Volt has been averaging close to 2 miles per kilowatt-hour, which, according to the EPA, is the equivalent of 65 mpg. But that’s for the first 25 miles or so, on battery alone.

2. GM says recharge times are about 4 hours with a 240-volt supply, and 10 to 12 hours with 120 volts. Our Volt has been taking almost 13 kWh in about 5 hours every time we charge. Volt buyers should purchase a 220-volt (Level 2) charger.

a. At the national average rate of 11 cents per kWh, the Volt costs about 5.7 cents per mile in electric mode and 10 cents a mile after that- if gas is $3 per gallon.

b. A Toyota Prius costs 6.8 cents per mile, and a gas powered Honda Fit costs about 10 cents per mile (but the price is less than half of that of the Volt).

3. In the Northeast, electricity cost is a lot higher. For example:
Sep. 22, 2010: ($0.27 per kWh)
Aug. 23, 2010: ($0.24 per kWh)
Jul. 23, 2010: ($0.29 per kWh)
Jun. 23, 2010: ($0.28 per kWh)
May 24, 2010: ($0.41 per kWh)
Apr. 23, 2010: ($0.87 per kWh)
W303 » New York City Electricity – Con Edison Kwh Charge History

4.So, the Volt works as an electric car with a gas backup….but it is not much of a money saver in many places. For now, the Volt is an expensive way to be green.

How did you calculate the electric bill apportioned to the car and not the house? I am going to call BS on the $320 over 8 1/2 months. Nobodies electricity is that cheap.

I'll see your BS and raise you the 2nd separate meter installed by DTE Energy to monitor the 240V ChargePoint station that is installed in my garage.

Follow this link ---> DTE Energy - Plug-In Electric Vehicle Rates

So you were NOT paying attention over the past several months when every reputable news outlet debunked the accounting assumptions the author of the report used? There are SEVERAL threads on USBM that tracked that. Should be easy for you to find.

1. Based on energy use, the Volt has been averaging close to 2 miles per kilowatt-hour, which, according to the EPA, is the equivalent of 65 mpg. But that’s for the first 25 miles or so, on battery alone.

2. GM says recharge times are about 4 hours with a 240-volt supply, and 10 to 12 hours with 120 volts. Our Volt has been taking almost 13 kWh in about 5 hours every time we charge. Volt buyers should purchase a 220-volt (Level 2) charger.

a. At the national average rate of 11 cents per kWh, the Volt costs about 5.7 cents per mile in electric mode and 10 cents a mile after that- if gas is $3 per gallon.

b. A Toyota Prius costs 6.8 cents per mile, and a gas powered Honda Fit costs about 10 cents per mile (but the price is less than half of that of the Volt).

4.So, the Volt works as an electric car with a gas backup….but it is not much of a money saver in many places. For now, the Volt is an expensive way to be green.

That is true if the vehicle is PURCHASED. We are LEASING the vehicle for 36 months. With our down-payment, my original estimate of electricity costs (higher than actual), and my original estimate of fuel costs (way higher than actual), the Volt was still a financially better move than leasing an Equinox or a Malibu at that time.

Since then, the lease rates for Volt have dropped another $100/month, so it would REALLY be a better deal for us.

That is true if the vehicle is PURCHASED. We are LEASING the vehicle for 36 months. With our down-payment, my original estimate of electricity costs (higher than actual), and my original estimate of fuel costs (way higher than actual), the Volt was still a financially better move than leasing an Equinox or a Malibu at that time.

Since then, the lease rates for Volt have dropped another $100/month, so it would REALLY be a better deal for us.

Pay no mind. She is Conservative and the only posts they accept is.....The Volt must FAIL

So you were NOT paying attention over the past several months when every reputable news outlet debunked the accounting assumptions the author of the report used? There are SEVERAL threads on USBM that tracked that. Should be easy for you to find.
That hit too close to home?

You have an expensive, Taxpayer subsidized Car that won't "save" you any money for years.

The only smart thing you did was to Lease it, that way you can walk away from it when you realize what a turd it is.

That hit too close to home?

You have an expensive, Taxpayer subsidized Car that won't "save" you any money for years.

The only smart thing you did was to Lease it, that way you can walk away from it when you realize what a turd it is.

Do I really seem upset to you? What is this "too close to home" crap? You quoted a statement that has already been exposed as BS and I simply pointed it out. If I were upset, I would go find the expansive volumes of quotes exposing the statement as crap and post it on top of your post. But it really isn't that important to me.

Can you run the air conditioner during the summer months while the Volt is on battery power?

Yes you can. The Volt is ALWAYS on electric power. The wheels are always turned by an electric motor. The only purpose the gas engine serves is to power the electric motor if/when you run out of battery power.

The AC never draws off of the gas engine as is the case in conventional cars. Running the AC full blast will reduce your battery range, but otherwise, nothing is different.

Pay no mind. She is Conservative and the only posts they accept is.....The Volt must FAIL

To be honest, I didn't see anything negative in what PoliticalChic stated. She outlined several facts. I simply added the leasing fact. She noted several potential alternatives to the Volt that people can / do consider. Thing is, I'm only going to compare it to vehicles I would actually consider buying or leasing. The Prius and Fit are simply two vehicles I'd never consider owning, so for me to compare Volt to them makes no sense. For others, it may make a lot of sense.

Wingy is the kind of dim-wit who'd call 911 to get the phone number for 'information.'

Notice that he was unable to find any error in my post, so immediately leapt to some sort of smear.

Wow, the build price is dropping like a stone, the lie used to be $250,000! :lol:

The CON$ervoFascist Brotherhood have been making up phony "cost to build" numbers for the Volt for quite some time, but there are still some morons stupid enough to believe them no matter how many times they are debunked.

If You Want To Attack The Volt, Try To Get Your Math Right

Here's the story. Four days ago, we dissected in some detail Matt Drudge's uninformed war against the Volt. He promptly posted two more anti-Volt headlines the next day.
One of them linked to an article on Michigan Capital Confidential citing a study by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.
A quarter of a meeeeellion dollars !!
The report claims that every Chevrolet Volt is the beneficiary of a quarter of a million dollars of state and Federal subsidies. Yes, the car with a 2012 retail price of $39,995 carries $250,000 of Your Tax Dollars in its load bay.
Hohman added up all the known state and Federal incentives to obtain a "total value offered to the Volt," not only for General Motors but also its suppliers.
A total of "18 government deals that included loans, rebates, grants and tax credits" are included. The total loan amounts are apparently listed in full, even though the loans are intended to be be paid back with interest.
Hohman then divided the sum by the number of Volts sold as of November 30. The result prompted him to call the Volt "the most government-supported car since the Trabant," the East German plastic-bodied two-cylinder minicar.
The denominator problem
As Wahlman notes, the egregious flaw in this calculation is "the denominator problem"--to what base of cars do you apply the analysis?

2011-chevrolet-volt_100350103_s.jpg
2011 Chevrolet Volt Production Line

Dividing the number of Volts sold to date (6,468 as of November 30) into the total incentives that apply to all Volts past, present, and future is either dopey or intellectually dishonest.
You could as easily say that on December 15 last year, the day the first Volt was delivered to a retail buyer, it carried a stunning, incredible, unconscionable $1.5 BILLION in subsidies. You'd be doing the same thing: dividing by the number of Volts sold, or 1.

Forum List

Back