Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) won't vote to replace Ginsburg until inauguration

If Romney, Grassley and Gardner (or just two of them) decides to join Murkowski and Collins, there won't be a replacement until January.
This is getting interesting.

McConnell will give refuge to those Senators in tight races. Collins and Gardner can vote no. Murkowski, Romney, and Grassley aren't up for re-election. So I expect them to fall in line after a lot of talking to the press about...whatever. :)
You need five firm defections to prevent seating a Trump picked SC nominee.
Not a bad call. This isn't about Trump and the scary thought of Biden appointees is enough for any person of rationale to confirm any of Trump's nominations.

Of course Biden could counter this by naming his prospective nominees, but he won't. He wouldn't be allowed to by his handlers even if he had any idea of what was going on.

Well, time and opposition will be the indicators of if Trump and McConnell can ram an appointee through. Biden has no obligation to release a list...because he isn't President.
No matter what your opinion of him is, if you were advising him, would you give your opposition any ammunition to use against you?...ah..no. :)

Exactly, that is why Trump needs to push forward with his nomination. This is politics and each side needs to do what they need to do to get or keep power. It’s not fair, it’s not equal.

You can’t tell me if the roles were reversed that the Democrats wouldn’t take advantage. Both parties believe they know what is best for America, with that, it would be incumbent of them to take advantage when given the advantage.

The roles were reversed four years ago. But the same dude was heading the Senate. The guy from bourbon country who now speaketh out of both sides of his mouth. :)

They weren't reversed. Democratic President, Republican Senate. This time it is a Republican President and a Republican Senate.

Now, it it were a Republican President and a Democratic Senate, that would be the opposite or a Democratic President and a Democratic Senate that would be opposite and you and I know damn well, the Democrats would have pushed to block or confirm depending on what was best for them, and I wouldn't blame them either. If the Democrats had screwed things up and made it a simple majority for confirmations, this discussion would be happening, however when they changed the rules, it benefited Democrats and I said it would one day bite them in the ass, guess what, I was right.

Politicians have spoke out of both sides of their mouths for centuries, nothing new to see. Supreme Court Justices have been confirmed during election years many times. Dems are just pissed, like Republicans would be if the situation were reversed.

Splitting hairs. Mitch set the precedent. Doesn't matter. Again, be careful what you wish for. An expanded SC, more "liberal" justices might be on the docket if Trump and Republicans take the bath they are on track to take on November 3rd.

I’m not splitting any hairs. Can you honestly say that the Democrats wouldn’t act the same way under the same circumstances if the roles were reversed?

Now, if the Democrats want to increase the number of justices on the Supreme Court then they are free to do that and then like with FDR, it will be weighed and some may lose their seats and a President may lose his next election. The other side is that when the Republicans get in, they can increase the number of justices and then the games can continue and the public and country will suffer. That’s the problem with both parties, they are petty and don’t work for we the American people. It’s about them and silly six year old games. I can’t understand why anyone with a brain would vote D or R for President.

If Romney, Grassley and Gardner (or just two of them) decides to join Murkowski and Collins, there won't be a replacement until January.

Ms. Murkowski had better hope that President Trump gets reelected.

If not, the Republican Party will never forgive her for Theft of a Supreme Court seat.

BTW, if Sleepy Joe were to win, would she vote to block his nominees to the court, if the Republicans retain the Senate?
If Trump doesn't get reelected them it would mean America was sick of him.
Nope. It would mean that the anti-American GLOBALIST OLIGARCHY has won.

"I did not support taking up a nomination eight months before the 2016 election to fill the vacancy created by the passing of Justice Scalia. We are now even closer to the 2020 election -- less than two months out -- and I believe the same standard must apply." ibid

Exactly.

The next appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by whomever wins the election this November.

It looks like that is the way it will play out.

TRUMP wants Biden to say who he would nominate for the position, but Joe has to check with NAZI WAR CRIMINAL George Soros first.

LOL!!..For months the cons on here have been crowing about how Trump is going to win by a landslide and the thought of Democrats taking of over the Senate as laughable. Yet here they are scrambling like hell to get a right wing judge on the SCOTUS before the election. Wonder why all the urgency if they really believe another Trump White House and Republcian controlled Senate is a lock?

"I did not support taking up a nomination eight months before the 2016 election to fill the vacancy created by the passing of Justice Scalia. We are now even closer to the 2020 election -- less than two months out -- and I believe the same standard must apply." ibid

Exactly.

The next appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by whomever wins the election this November.

As Democrats reminded us time and time again, elections have consequences and this looks like this is a consequence.

Also wasn’t It the Democrats made it possible for a simple majority to approve a Supreme Court nominee? I was against them doing that and it would not be an issue today had they not tried getting an upper hand at one time. That has come back and bite them in the butt again. Democrats were short sighted back then and I could now be the Republicans are being shortsighted today.

I don’t think the nomination should have been held up in 2016, and I don’t think it should be held up now. I have little use for McConnell but I get taking advantage of an opportunity.

LOL!!..For months the cons on here have been crowing about how Trump is going to win by a landslide and the thought of Democrats taking of over the Senate as laughable. Yet here they are scrambling like hell to get a right wing judge on the SCOTUS before the election. Wonder why all the urgency if they really believe another Trump White House and Republcian controlled Senate is a lock?

I just wish we had better choices in the election. Trying to decide between dumb and dumber is depressing as hell.

Even if there was a means to guarantee a Trump win, you never take a chance by waiting. That’s like the moron in CT a number of years ago who waited 5 days to long to turn in a winning lottery ticket and ended up getting nothing.

Even if there was a means to guarantee a Trump win, you never take a chance by waiting. That’s like the moron in CT a number of years ago who waited 5 days to long to turn in a winning lottery ticket and ended up getting nothing.
Trump's not as stupid as Obama leaving all those federal judgeships and a SCOTUS seat because he thought the Beast was going to win.

Trump's not as stupid as Obama leaving all those federal judgeshTips and a SCOTUS seat because he thought the Beast was going to win.
'Trump's not as stupid as Obama leaving all those federal judgeshTips and a SCOTUS seat because he thought the Beast was going to win'??..Obama didn't leave any judgeships vacant..Moscow Mitch blocked them all. Remember Garland.

She has a chance to put a conservative on the Supreme Court and she declines to she is not a Republican

8C4B983D-253C-4061-9ECD-9F9496CEB4F8.jpeg

Lisa must be in a close race for reelection and fears centrists' retaliation if she blindly follows the impeached president trump's and Moscow Mitch's orders to do as she is told.

Conservatives' inability to think for themselves is well known, so Lisa's decision is a rarity, indeed.

She's not up for re-election and she's worried about leftist retaliation ... in Alaska ??? You're dreaming again
Which leaves the obvious---she is on the dem or soros payroll.............her voting record clearly shows her true colors.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

And how will that benefit her? Or the country? The Democrats tried to push through the Garland nomination back in 2016, even though it was an election year. Why should the GOP do the same thing?

If not, the Republican Party will never forgive her for Theft of a Supreme Court seat.

BTW, if Sleepy Joe were to win, would she vote to block his nominees to the court, if the Republicans retain the Senate?
Murkowski collins Feinstein and Romney already will never be forgiven for who they’ve been the past 2-4 years. They still think it’s Bush’s party.

they’ll never again be elected by a republican and aren’t left enough to be a DemonRat.

Murkowski collins Feinstein and Romney already will never be forgiven for who they’ve been the past 2-4 years. They still think it’s Bush’s party.

they’ll never again be elected by a republican and aren’t left enough to be a DemonRat.

What does Romney think? If President Trump rides out into the sunset this November, that he'll be able to seize control of the Republicans? So what if that happens? He has no plan to roll back Biden's excesses from the New Green Deal, higher taxes, gay marriage, abortion. He has no base to get elected if he came up with a plan. Mitt's chance, which he flubbed badly with the 2nd most pitiful campaign in US history, was 2012. He got schlonged, and didn't even put up a fight.

Do you think that will stop the confirmation of Trump's nominee?

How that bullshit work out for you guys with Kavanaugh?

LMAO at the Stupid Shit Leftist believe.

That's what you get for reading Fake News CNN.

Saying they oppose it being taken up is not the same thing as saying they won't vote if it is taken up, which it will be.

posturing by politicians...

Predictably she is now saying she may vote. "The process is moving with or without me" blah, blah, blah.

Words mean stuff.

Because not doing it could cost them seats.

Wow....a reasonable explanation.

Bet that thought never crossed your mind.

After all HIllary won in....oh wait.

She'll confirm.

What is anyone worried over.

Better her than a left winger in that spot.

Collins was smart to say what she did.

As much as she can be maddening. In the end...she's better than the alternative.

Forum List

Back