Limit children to flip phones?

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
Given the social ills attributed to the use of smart phones by minors, such as bullying, encouragement of eating disorders, and dangerous challenges, should parents only allow their children to use flip phones, aka “dumb phones,” which provide no access to the internet and social media?

The ban could be enforced on different levels, such as individual choices by parents, or a rule by school districts that would prohibit student possession of smart phones on campuses from elementary through high school.

Conceivably, a market might open for an even “dumber” phone for minors, one lacking either a camera (no nude selfies) or text messaging.

Flip_phone.jpg

Given the social ills attributed to the use of smart phones by minors, such as bullying, encouragement of eating disorders, and dangerous challenges, should parents only allow their children to use flip phones, aka “dumb phones,” which provide no access to the internet and social media?

The ban could be enforced on different levels, such as individual choices by parents, or a rule by school districts that would prohibit student possession of smart phones on campuses from elementary through high school.

Conceivably, a market might open for an even “dumber” phone for minors, one lacking either a camera (no nude selfies) or text messaging.

View attachment 800066

Do they still make flip phones that will work? A coworker said her husband had a horrible time finding one as he wanted a dumb phone when they had a forced upgrade.

I'm on my third cell phone from Consumer Cellular. They keep getting bigger and heavier. It works ok.
The lady at work had to custom order one for her husband and it took a couple months to get. I think she is on AT&T. I just buy cheap smart phones because I break them constantly, even with the otterbox. I did have an expensive iphone once but it creeped me the hell out how much info they were amassing and sharing so I ditched it after like 3 months.

Limit children to flip phones? A far better headline . Per hundred population and not per family .​

Limit kids to no phones.

How many thousands of years did kids go without any kind of cell phone and grew up perfectly fine?

I'm only 47 but I didn't have my first cell phone till I was like 25 or 26. Up until then it was house phone or nothing.

View attachment 800066
I have a flip phone. No smart phone.

Forum List

Back