Lifeboat Morality ... "Deep Impact"

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
I re-watched the 1998 disaster flick "Deep Impact" with the incomparable Morgan Freeman as President of the United States.

In the movie, a giant meteor approached Earth and the mission to deflect it failed.

The President chose a cadre of experts and then held a nation lottery for a million people who could be accommodated in shelter caves for two years and re-populate The Earth. The rest of the nation 300 + million people were left to die.

Spoiler Alert -- the disaster is averted and the population of the US is saved (except for a few million folks on the East Coast).

The ethical question is this. Would the national leaders have any right to govern the millions of people they left for dead when they decided to shelter from the disaster?

Would those who abandoned their fellow citizens to the meteor be entitled to retake their wealth and property when they emerged to find that the disaster didn't happen?

deep_impact_-_h_-_1998.jpg

No. No politician has any moral authority- they have only legal authority, much of that presumed, and legal and moral rarely are one and the same.

No...they wouldn't have the right...nor the balls. Quite contrarily, not a word would be peeped. Not because they wouldn't necessarily like to let us know. A word would not be peeped for fear that any unrest would interfere with our 'leaders' ability to safely slink to their bunkers. Shortly before notifying their true constituencies, of course.

Another movie, "Lord Jim" exams the same sort of question, on a much smaller scale.

In the 1965 film, Peter O'Toole plays Jim, an idealistic junior officer on his first assignment as an officer on a passenger freighter full of pilgrims bound for Mecca.

The ship runs into a storm and the officers abandon ship in the only lifeboat, leaving the passengers on their own.

When they get to port, they are shocked to find the ship had been rescued and the passengers had all survived.

The rest of the crew run away, but Jim stays to stand trial. He is stripped of his rank and becomes a drifter, filled with self-loathing.

He redeems himself in the end.

yea well clinton and trump were both friends of that man and all other women are nasty but trumps little girl fucking buddy ...she gets his best wishes

i dont care what political party or how much coin you have...child rapists should always be held accountable

The elites will never share in the misery that befalls any society they control. In the end it's the level of authoritarianism they are able to bring to bear on a populace during or after a crisis to protect their positions that really matters.

at least the phony original story attempts to save the wildlife which illustrates the depth of depravity for modern unfit humanity.

no way the 1 million will save themselves from the other 300 million ... unless through a mail-in election.

Would the national leaders have any right to govern the millions of people they left for dead when they decided to shelter from the disaster?

Would those who abandoned their fellow citizens to the meteor be entitled to retake their wealth and property when they emerged to find that the disaster didn't happen?

Nope. John Locke says that looks like it's time for national leaders to hit the bricks and possibly may need help to do it. But, lets say that miracle of miracles those that emerged were able to retain power. They would become paranoid tyrants. They would have to look over their shoulder every minute of every day.

The elites will never share in the misery that befalls any society they control. In the end it's the level of authoritarianism they are able to bring to bear on a populace during or after a crisis to protect their positions that really matters.
why should they share the misery????!!!!!??
godamn jackasses BLM/you/Dems---like freaking kids---if I can't have the other kid's toy, I want him to suffer
....you people are lazy/stupid/etc ....you don't have what the elites have, so you want to destroy what they have

Another movie, "Lord Jim" exams the same sort of question, on a much smaller scale.

In the 1965 film, Peter O'Toole plays Jim, an idealistic junior officer on his first assignment as an officer on a passenger freighter full of pilgrims bound for Mecca.

The ship runs into a storm and the officers abandon ship in the only lifeboat, leaving the passengers on their own.

When they get to port, they are shocked to find the ship had been rescued and the passengers had all survived.

The rest of the crew run away, but Jim stays to stand trial. He is stripped of his rank and becomes a drifter, filled with self-loathing.

He redeems himself in the end.
It would be like Dr. Strangelove. One top official for every ten beautiful women in the opulent government underground shelters. Then breed for the reappearance back to the surface in a decade or so.

godamn jackasses BLM/you/Dems---like freaking kids---if I can't have the other kid's toy, I want him to suffer
....you people are lazy/stupid/etc ....you don't have what the elites have, so you want to destroy what they have
Just telling you the truth everyone knows. No matter what happens the elites of any society protect themselves and their power first. We only have as many rights as they allow us to have when the shit hits the fan. You should understand that. It's the rationale behind far right's wish list on dealing with the protests.

Just telling you the truth everyone knows. No matter what happens the elites of any society protect themselves and their power first. We only have as many rights as they allow us to have when the shit hits the fan. You should understand that. It's the rationale behind far right's wish list on dealing with the protests.
you have the same rights as they do
far right's wish list????!! specify that please

Quit acting like you are stupid.

Quit acting like you are stupid.
woohooooo
you ''refute''' what I say with an insult = you are full of shit

the elites of any society protect themselves and their power first.
that is correct for the u s constitution, besides the misconception - equality - is no where written in that document and has been the underpinning for all the maleficent behavior that has occurred and the direct reasoning behind the civil war amendments coincidentally disliked by those same "conservative" elitists to the present day.

I would say that under the circumstances, the need would be for farmers, weavers, metal workers, hunters and builders. There were no politicians on the ARK (though Noah was called a preacher of righteous).

RE: Lifeboat Morality ... "Deep Impact"
⁜→ LittleNipper, et al,

BLUF: The Idea of morality
(What is it? Where does it come from in origin? Who oversees the application of morality?) and the concept of survival (what are the necessities?) together in the story of Noah's Ark (made possible through the hand of the Supreme Being or Supernatural Power) is mixed set of faith-based beliefs that contain the triad notions of mysticism, dogmatic ritual, and moral traditions. Those that maintain a belief in the Supreme Being, are believers in the supernatural → manna from heaven, alchemy (transmutation of wine and bread into the blood and body of the Supreme Being), and subordinate associated mystical entities (the appearance of holy biblical beings, archangels, cherubim, seraphim, a demonic presence, etc). All this comes together to gradually build, not only complex religious systems but the moral and ethic codes that we have today.

I would say that under the circumstances, the need would be for farmers, weavers, metal workers, hunters and builders. There were no politicians on the ARK (though Noah was called a preacher of righteous).
(COMMENT)

Scientific development and historical evolution of various spirituality and religion are not logically
(philosophically) connected. Neither disrupts the other and neither can disprove the other. But in the human development of societies all is required in some measure to have some sort of progress in the species.

While our friend "LittleNipper" makes a pearl of brilliant observation wisdom on aspects that might need to be included in an otherwise life extinction event if humanity survives and grows, at some point, there will be a need for leadership. And that is germination for politics and the embryonic struggle for power. Out of that, conflict arises.

MEME
SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

Last edited:

Forum List

Back