Life vs. Death Duty

Iridescence

Rookie
Apr 1, 2011
US
Pushing aside the potential religious views... initially, that is....

What of a wife and husband's duty? As they age together and the older generations are still living, as one or both pass who should have the say in the death process/procedures? This differs according to the world view and many wives are only the religion they are because of marriage vows, understood.

I had this conversation with my family and I would have them decide over my husband and children until and/or unless I came to be responsible for their care before my death and then it would be left up to my husband and his family. No, this is not traditional from what I understand of tradition, but it is worldly as other cultures are known to have such practices.

What if you were to die tonight? Who would see to your body, your donations, etc?

Since the question of religion and spritual matters are so relevent today, these things are sometimes the last to be addressed and they should not be. These are very important issues for every single person, religious or not, spiritual or other. *hearts*

My body (may I live years more) would be handled, washed and wrapped by my loved ones who would 'sit shiva' with me (staying with my body until burial and they will open the connection with davening (connective praying to our L-rd) and help share my entry.

That's what a will is for my dear. When i kick the bucket (hopefully in another 20 years or so) my estate takes care of my body and my daughter gets my assets. She should have a great life ahead of her.

Granny says let him follow his own advice...
:eusa_eh:
Japanese Official: 'Let Elderly People Hurry Up and Die'
January 22, 2013: Taro Aso, Japan's 72-year-old finance minister, says he's worried about the financial burden that end-of-life care is placing on his country.
"Heaven forbid if you are forced to live on when you want to die," The Guardian newspaper quoted him as saying on Monday. "I would wake up feeling increasingly bad knowing that [treatment] was all being paid for by the government," he said during a meeting on social security reforms. "The problem won't be solved unless you let them hurry up and die."

The newspaper noted that almost a quarter of Japan's population is over 60, as is Aso. The Guardian also reported that rising welfare costs prompted last year's decision to double Japan's consumption [sales] tax to 10 percent over the next three years.

Later in an attempt to clarify his comments, Aso said he was speaking "what I personally believe, not what the end-of-life medical care system should be." He said he has directed his family to withhold life-prolonging care for him.

But in 2008, while serving as prime minister, Aso talked about seeing eldering people in their late 60s "who dodder around and are constantly going to the doctor." He asked then, "Why should I have to pay for people who just eat and drink and make no effort? I walk every day and do other things, but I'm paying more in taxes."

Japanese Official: 'Let Elderly People Hurry Up and Die' | CNS News

I saw a funny line in a horror movie the other day when a couple of guys were wheeling corpses around in a laboratory. "You know that little box on your driver's license application where they ask you if you want to donate your body to science"? "Don't check it".

Forum List

Back