Liberal Illogic and the Washington Redskins

I'm sure if Dan Snyder (owner of the Washington Redskins) kicked up enough $$$ to the liberals and funded some of their ridiculous causes, the persecution would stop.
Only if Obama would come out and tell them this isn't a big deal, they would settle down.

I'm sure if Dan Snyder (owner of the Washington Redskins) kicked up enough $$$ to the liberals and funded some of their ridiculous causes, the persecution would stop.
Only if Obama would come out and tell them this isn't a big deal, they would settle down.

Having former KKK member Robert Byrd as a member of the US Senate didn't seem to bother them too much.

Well, since the current team owner is Jewish - how about the Washington Kikes?

I'd bet good money that if most Native Americans said they had no problem with the name Redskins, many on the far left would still whine about it as "offensive."

Truth be told, liberals don't really care what the Indians think about the name. They cite cherry-picked polls done among Indians and then scream "racism" and "offensive." But if all polls among Indians showed a different sentiment, liberals would quickly dismiss the polls.

Liberals wanna turn back the clock. They don't care that nowadays the vast majority of Americans view the name Redskins as a positive term, thanks to the football team.

I grew up in the '60s and have known a number of Native Americans, and I never heard about anyone being offended by the name Redskins until the last few years.

Maybe you living under the house explains why you know nothing about the issue. The outrage is not recent, and it is not "liberals" who are offended.

Protests

Although often assumed to be a debate of recent origins, the local Washington, DC newspapers have published news items on the controversy many times since at least 1971, all in response to Native American individuals or organizations asking for the name to be changed. Kevin Gover, the director of the National Museum of the American Indian states that he sent a letter objecting to the name in 1973 to then owner Edward Bennett Williams. Having moved from Oklahoma to the DC area while in high school, he was shocked to find that the “nastiest thing people ever said to us had become the name of an NFL team? I didn’t comprehend it then, and I don’t now”.

National protests began in 1988, after the team's Super Bowl XXII victory. Numerous Native Americans wrote letters to Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke encouraging him to change the name. Others boycotted Redskins products and protested. Many of these events were led by Suzan Shown Harjo of the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI). Cooke responded in an interview, stating, "There's not a single, solitary jot, tittle, whit chance in the world that the Redskins will adopt a new nickname."

There was a protest of about 2,000 people at the 1992 Super Bowl between the Redskins and the Buffalo Bills. The game was held in Minnesota, and many Native Americans from the region came out to protest the name. The American Indian Movement's (AIM) Vernon Bellecourt was one of the main organizers of the protest. Before and during the game Chippewa, Sioux, Winnebago, and Choctaw, and other Native Americans and other members of the local population, protested. Their signs read, "We are not Mascots", "Promote Sports not Racism", and "Repeal Redskin Racism".

I grew up in the '60s and have known a number of Native Americans, and I never heard about anyone being offended by the name Redskins until the last few years.
If it was the Washington ******* we wouldn't be having this debate. Look at that, I can't even post the word. Times change boys, don't be so afraid of it.

Would anyone ever name their team that? No. Why is that? Think about it.

No one names their team after something that they think is dishonorable or negative or bad, and they certainly don't choose a name that they think is going to offend people. Common sense, which I know liberals refuse to use in this discussion.

Try doing a little research on the origin of the name "Redskins."

By the way, a poll done by the Annenberg Center among Native Americans found that 90% did NOT find the name Redskins offensive.

Letter from Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder to fans - The Washington Post
I don't give a damn what they think, just like I don't give a damn if gays can get married but none of them do. The Principle is the same. You wouldn't be a big fan of the Washington Whities either. There's no reason for race in this case. Choose an animal, not what whitey used to believe was an animal.
How is Redskins a racist term? I think Liberals like to make up shit because they are miserable and want company. Nobody uses the term "redskins" in a derogatory manner. I think you liberals have watched too many old-timey westerns.

If it was the Washington ******* we wouldn't be having this debate. Look at that, I can't even post the word. Times change boys, don't be so afraid of it.

No one names their team after something that they think is dishonorable or negative or bad, and they certainly don't choose a name that they think is going to offend people. Common sense, which I know liberals refuse to use in this discussion.

By the way, a poll done by the Annenberg Center among Native Americans found that 90% did NOT find the name Redskins offensive.

I don't give a damn what they think, just like I don't give a damn if gays can get married but none of them do. The Principle is the same. You wouldn't be a big fan of the Washington Whities either. There's no reason for race in this case. Choose an animal, not what whitey used to believe was an animal.
How is Redskins a racist term? I think Liberals like to make up shit because they are miserable and want company. Nobody uses the term "redskins" in a derogatory manner. I think you liberals have watched too many old-timey westerns.

Hey pea brain, it is native Americans who are offended. You right wing turds want to blame liberals and Obama when you get a flat tire.

Kevin Gover, the director of the National Museum of the American Indian states sent a letter objecting to the name in 1973 to then owner Edward Bennett Williams. Having moved from Oklahoma to the DC area while in high school, he was shocked to find that the “nastiest thing people ever said to us had become the name of an NFL team? I didn’t comprehend it then, and I don’t now”.

If something offends someone it should be censored. It only makes sense right ?
Nope, but this is little more than calling a team the Washington Wetbacks. Let's at least deal with the obvious. Redskins is not a term of respect. The Washington Warriors, better.

You can still use the word but skip the official logo and mascot part.
Maybe you should educate yourself on the so-called Redskin controversy or would that interfere with your Marxist Liberal agenda?
There is no controversy, it's a racist name that Whitey is perfectly happy to defend, when he shouldn't.

Oh do tell---exactly what should Whitey do ?
Act like an adult, for once, and change the stupid name.

You just keep repeating your arguments without answering the counter-arguments.

You don't care about the origin of the name. You don't care about the credible polls that show that most Indians don't have a problem with the name. You don't care that the Redskins logo was done in consultation with an Indian athletic association. You don't care that, thanks to the football team, the vast majority of Americans have long, long since stopped viewing the name Redskins as a negative term. You don't care that even 100 years ago the name was not used as a racial slur by most Americans. You don't care about the simple logical point that naming a team after something is paying tribute and showing respect for that something--whether it's a group of people, an animal, whatever.

You just don't care. Liberal Brainwashing Central has decreed that the name Redskins is a racist, offensive term and therefore you will not leave the Liberal Borg Collective but will continue to defend that silly, illogical talking point.

It's a racist name. Dump it and move on. And what offends me are people who are all up in arms defending racist traditions because they hate and fear change.

First off, nobody gave a hoot about the name until a tiny minority of leftist whiners started yapping about it. The only people who have been "up in arms about it" are you and your fellow wing-nuts. Normal, mainstream people think the issue is a stupid non-issue that defies common sense and that ignores the reality of what the name has come to mean for going on at least 50 years now.

Maybe 70, 80, or 100 years ago some people used it as a racial slur (while many others never used it like that and did not think of it in those terms). But, fortunately, that misuse of the name has long, long since ceased and the name has come to have a very positive, honorable connotation.

Heck, I'd like to see leftists start protesting against the name of the Dallas Cowboys, since in some circles the term "cowboy" had a very negative meaning and was used by some folks to accuse others of being stupid, slow, and reckless. And, of course, since 99% of cowboys were white, liberals should claim that the name is also "racist." Yeah, go for it.
Shit-kicker is not racist, Redskin however is.

And you're full of shit as usual. :eusa_liar: :cuckoo:

Hey pea brain, it is native Americans who are offended. You right wing turds want to blame liberals and Obama when you get a flat tire.

Kevin Gover, the director of the National Museum of the American Indian states sent a letter objecting to the name in 1973 to then owner Edward Bennett Williams. Having moved from Oklahoma to the DC area while in high school, he was shocked to find that the “nastiest thing people ever said to us had become the name of an NFL team? I didn’t comprehend it then, and I don’t now”.

it is native Americans who are offended

:bs1:

Hey dumbass, did you know that there are many Native Americans who are NOT offended by the name "Redskins". In fact, they are proud of that name. You probably didn't know that because you like so many other liberals have shit-for-brains.

The "Redskins" name is NOT nor has it ever been a racist name, that is until you stupid liberals came along and decided that it was, regardless of how others felt about it.

I do blame the stupid liberals for trying to change a name that isn't racist, just because they want everyone to be more "Politically Correct". :cuckoo:

Last edited:
I don't care if it is offensive. The government tried to change the name of the team through force and that is outright wrong. When has it become acceptable in this nation to censor words because someone dies not like it.

If the damn team name is an issue then boycott them. The team name will change VERY fast when the money stops flowing. As that is not going to work because the VAST MAJORITY of people do not have any issue at all with the redskins, the liberal jumps right into law and attempts to force their will on everyone.

Forum List

Back