Liberal college professor revealed to be teen killer who murdered his family in 1967

I've seen no indication that this man is a "liberal" he teaches at a Presbyterian University (Millikin University not exactly an Ivory Tower of liberalism) and has apparently had a spotless record and distinguished career since the incident 45 YEARS AGO occurred (one which he was acquitted on insanity grounds). Is there no forgiveness in our society anymore? Hasn't he earned his redemption?

What is the purpose of digging up this guys past from so long ago when we have 45 years of history that indicates an honest man and dedicated teacher? this is clearly an attempt by the media to create an issue where none exists simply for sensationalism sake and now the partisans are attempting to use this poor guy as a petty partisan prop, shameful.

Regardless, I bet everyone in the faculty lounge is chewing their food at the lowest decibel level humanly achievable.

http://www.thelizlibrary.org/liz/wolcott.pdf

This is a very interesting article which goes back and describes in some detail the crime and trial as well as his 6 years in the institution (for much of which he wasn't institutionalized but lived with the family of a doctor). It's a creepy, interesting story. In today's world a 15 year old boy who shoots to death his mother, father and sister will probably be sentenced to life in prison. This kid was sniffing glue and it caused him to lose his mind, temporarily. Under the influence of that is when he killed. Today, he would most likely not get off on an insanity plea. Though he has lived the past 40+ years as a productive and crime free citizen, he seems to show no remorse for what he did. He's a psychology professor; maybe he has resolved within himself what he did and just doesn't explain that to others. Anyway, the article focuses on what happened back then up to the present. Quite interesting.

BTW, I think trying to bring politics into this is ludicrous. Just plain ludicrous.

Of course, had there been no gun in the house, would it have happened? Maybe he would have stabbed them all to death in their sleep. Who knows?

Last edited:
My question is this - what prompted someone looking into his history? Was there something that worried someone? There are many profs out there today, so why this one suddenly has his background looked in to?

My question is this - what prompted someone looking into his history? Was there something that worried someone? There are many profs out there today, so why this one suddenly has his background looked in to?

Possibly because it was a major one time only type of event in the small town he came from and this reporter was curious about what had happened to him. After he was released from the mental institution, he just disappeared. She found out he'd moved away and changed his name and she researched into what he'd been doing for 40 years. I believe she is an investigative journalist, so investigation would be the thing for her to do. Something like that happens in your town and then the murderer just disappears? Yes, it would be something to be curious about and find out what happened to him.

She didn't look into the professor, she looked into what happened to the boy who committed the murders and ended up at the professor, not the other way around.

I think it's very interesting that he changed his name from James Wolcott to 'James St. James.' Interesting.

Last edited:
If he has indeed been rehabilitated, then at the very least he should not be working in a position where he deals with the public, especially young people, and should never be a professor.
The record proves you quite wrong, he's been an educator for 30 years with a distinguished record and so far nothing but glowing reviews from his students. What you are advocating is revenge not justice and it's revenge on a 15 year old boy that was demonstrated to be mentally incompetent (couldn't tell the difference between right and wrong) at the time of his transgression.

"there but for the grace of God go I" -- John Bradford
But, then, Bill Ayers was a professor as was his traitorous wife so colleges have a history of hiring insane killers.

Maybe it will be a requirement. Can't get a job without a sufficient murder resume.
Bill Ayers was a self-proclaimed domestic terrorist belonging to an organization that advocated the mass murder of those that disagreed with their economic philosophy, you don't see the difference between the two cases?

He seemed like such a nice guy....Who knows why he murderd all those people :cuckoo:

He's really no different than Whitey Bulger who was also rehabilitated and has lived quietly for many years.

Right. Except that Bulger isn't a teenager with mental illness who was rehabilitated in a mental institute; he's a manipulative sociopath who murdered people for money and sometimes just for pure enjoyment; had a corrupt FBI agent in his pocket; who went on the run instead of facing the consequences for his actions. Other than that, they're exactly the same. Another spot on analysis, Katz :rolleyes:

Humm..Sounds crazy to me:cuckoo:

Rut-Roh! Trouble in Utopia!

libs don't seem to mind their terrorist college professors. how about one who murdered his whole family? Liberals love their crazy college professors:cuckoo:

Yep. and it is these college professors who are agitating a whole generation of impressionable minds. all of the turmoil in the 60's wasn't the result of a bunch of drug crazed hippies. it all originated on campus, stoked by college professors, all under the guise of higher education and illumination

If he is a college professor, he must be a liberal. Conservative college professors are very rare. Just like conservative scientists. We all know education is for snobs. Right wingers tell us so and they never lie. All those "morals" and "values".

If he is a college professor, he must be a liberal. Conservative college professors are very rare. Just like conservative scientists. We all know education is for snobs. Right wingers tell us so and they never lie. All those "morals" and "values".

Humm...science is not conservative or liberal..Science is science. if it's liberal or conservative it's called ideology not science:eusa_eh:

So, according to some people on the right, all intellectuals are liberals and to be scorned. Kind of like how Mao scorned them during the Cultural Revolution, taking the teachers and professors out of the classrooms and making them till the soil?

Humm...science is not conservative or liberal..Science is science. if it's liberal or conservative it's called ideology not science:eusa_eh:

Conservatives don't believe in science

It is all made up to piss them off

So, according to some people on the right, all intellectuals are liberals and to be scorned. Kind of like how Mao scorned them during the Cultural Revolution, taking the teachers and professors out of the classrooms and making them till the soil?

According to some on the left, science is an ideology, and that ideology has to be pushed my made up "science" mao was a radical leftists nutjob:cuckoo:

Ohhhh he killed his family because he's an intellectual!

That changes everything.

According to some on the left, science is an ideology, and that ideology has to be pushed my made up "science" mao was a radical leftists nutjob:cuckoo:

LOL You missed the entire point of my post. Why is it so many right wingers do not get irony? Probably they don't know that studies have been done which show only people with high levels of intelligence get irony and satire.

And where did you get the idea that liberals think science is an ideology? Seriously, you must have made that up right out of thin air. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Last edited:

You totally missed the irony in rdean's post too. LOL:lol:

Rut-Roh! Trouble in Utopia!

libs don't seem to mind their terrorist college professors. how about one who murdered his whole family? Liberals love their crazy college professors:cuckoo:

Yep. and it is these college professors who are agitating a whole generation of impressionable minds. all of the turmoil in the 60's wasn't the result of a bunch of drug crazed hippies. it all originated on campus, stoked by college professors, all under the guise of higher education and illumination

BULLSHIT

How would you know? When and where did you attend higher education?

I went to CAL ('65-'67, '70 - '72) and later to SFSU for Grad School - two supposedly liberal universities. That was not my experience.

LOL You missed the entire point of my post. Why is it so many right wingers do not get irony? Probably they don't know that studies have been done which show only people with high levels of intelligence get irony and satire.

And where did you get the idea that liberals think science is an ideology? Seriously, you must have made that up right out of thin air. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

liberalism is all emotion... Not much logic to it

Forum List

Back