Leonard Cohen estate threatening legal action after Trump campaign uses ‘Hallelujah’

Neil Austen

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2019

Trump just doesn't give a fuck about Law and Order. How many artists have sued this orange turd of a president fro violating copyright laws now? At least half a dozen. Trump, once a criminal, always a criminal.

Does playing someone's song twice make someone a "criminal"?
Bold talk in a time when people are shot dead in the streets just because they support the president.
But you aren't very smart or rational so I see how you have erased all boundary lines between
normal and crazy.

Does playing someone's song twice make someone a "criminal"?

There are rules and laws about these sorts of things. The "Law and Order" president isn't so much when it comes to himself.

A president should lead by example. If he can do what he wants, IMO everyone can.

I didn't see it though. Did all those Evangelicals enjoy the secular hymn?

Trump just doesn't give a fuck about Law and Order. How many artists have sued this orange turd of a president fro violating copyright laws now? At least half a dozen. Trump, once a criminal, always a criminal.

Can't blame them - Trump and co. keep on doing this. He doesn't care about the law until it suits him.

He's using the music of people who are the antithesis of what he stands for.

There are rules and laws about these sorts of things. The "Law and Order" president isn't so much when it comes to himself.

A president should lead by example. If he can do what he wants, IMO everyone can.

Who said Trump violated the law? Do you know what the law says on the matter?
Maybe you should educate yourself, for once.

The comment about Evangelicals is just idiotic and you stating something you know to be a lie
so you yourself negated everything you just posted. Congratulations!

tds-trump-derangement-syndrome-1038x545.jpg

Who said Trump violated the law? Do you know what the law saws on the matter?
Maybe you should educate yourself, for once.

The comment about Evangelicals is just idiotic and you stating something you know to be a lie
so you yourself negated everything you just posted. Congratulations!

Nobody can "freely" use an artists song.

Copyright Laws? Since when should we hold Rump to following an stinking laws.

Well, they should ask for permission...which they did...but because it wasn't a commercial enterprise, the only recourse would be issuing a cease and desist order.
But if they sue Trump....they have to prove damages......and that's a tough one. If anything....a bunch of Godless Liberals will start listening to his music and he might make out quite well.....at least his estate will.
I performed that song in concert myself on numerous occasions for churches.
I wonder if they want to sue my butt now.

Well, they should ask for permission...which they did...but because it wasn't a commercial enterprise, the only recourse would be issuing a cease and desist order.
But if they sue Trump....they have to prove damages......and that's a tough one. If anything....a bunch of Godless Liberals will start listening to his music and he might make out quite well.....at least his estate will.
I performed that song in concert myself on numerous occasions for churches.
I wonder if they want to sue my butt now.

The Cohens are the ones that determine the exceptions not you nor Rump. Rump was denied. And, yes, even your Church could be dinged for a copyright violation but that would really look poorly for PR. And your Church doesn't have the 150,000 bucks that they could ding you for. But they could ding you for 2500 bucks minimum. But again, bad PR.

As for Rump and the RNC, 150,000 bucks is peanuts. And they were denied. It's pretty cut and dried.
Music Law 101: Copyright Infringement and Fair Use
Statutory damages (up to $150,000.00 for a willful infringement);

Fair Use provisions. Look it up.

Yes, look it up. Fair use covers only using quotes and excerpts of a copyrighted work, not the use of the work in its entirety.

Under the Copyright Act, use of excerpts of copyrighted material is allowed for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship and research, and parody. It does not permit use of the entire work for political purposes.

For those who do not know the song, here is a beautiful rendition of it by Andre Rieu's ensemble in a tribute to Leonard Cohen for your enjoyment:

Just skip the ads and take a listen.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back