Left splits over Supreme Court pick pushed by top Biden ally Rep Jim Clyburn

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
you're blowing it, liberals. Biden could botch yet another pick

excerpts:

After Sherrod Brown caught wind of the progressive angst over judge Michelle Childs’ possible ascension to the Supreme Court, the labor stalwart talked it through with her biggest Democratic backer — the House majority whip.

And the Ohio Democratic senator walked away satisfied from his conversation with Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), who’s stumping hard for his home-state judge to join the high court.

Brown’s support is a huge shot in the arm for Childs, who’s facing grumbles on the left over her past work as a lawyer on behalf of corporations. She is already President Joe Biden’s Supreme Court contender with the highest ceiling for GOP support, as Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) pushes strongly for her alongside Clyburn, the No. 3 House Democratic leader.

But the South Carolina district court judge likely has more work to do to win over the progressive senators she’ll need to get confirmed. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) declined to talk about Childs at all: “I’m not going to comment. Nope.”

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) predicted that Biden “wants somebody on the court who understands the struggles that working families are facing right now, who understands the enormous power of corporate interests.” He also offered a subtle warning as the White House vets its short list. “You want somebody who is going to be reflective of the needs of working families and understands that we are moving towards an oligarchy in this country," Sanders said.

“It’s really important that we have somebody on the Supreme Court that understands that dynamic and is going to be thinking in an impartial way about how these cases affect big businesses as well as workers,” said Sen. Tina Smith (D-Minn.). “I’m going to look to see how people measure up to that principle.”

“Childs has a record at an openly anti-union law firm,” said Larry Cohen, a former labor leader and the chair of Our Revolution, a group with ties to Sanders. He described her record as “eight years at a firm that attacks organizing in the state with the lowest collective bargaining coverage in the U.S.”

Democrats were careful Tuesday in responding to questions about Childs’ record. Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), who serves on the Judiciary Committee, said he would closely scrutinize her positions on workplace safety and worker protections should she be nominated.

He downplayed the idea that her record is currently a deal-breaker but also suggested the concerns from liberals will be considered and the issues vetted: “Not to say the criticisms are mistaken, but I want to see for myself what she’s done.”

Some Democrats said they were wary of setting a standard that projects the views of corporations onto the attorneys who represented them.

“Sometimes representing a client is not a choice you get to make. We have to be careful about that, right?” said Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii). “I’d just be careful of attributing to a lawyer the views of their client. And that’s something the Republicans have tried to do when we nominate and confirm public defenders. It’s not the way we should look at lawyers who could be judges.”

"Imagine the reception if she had a record working for unions," he added, "and then ask how could a pro-union president even consider her?”

Still, it’s a touchy subject to stump for or against a nominee. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer appeared to endorse fellow New Yorker and circuit court judge Eunice Lee for the Supreme Court on Tuesday, calling her his “preferred candidate” in a press conference, but then walking that back minutes later in a statement that said he mistakenly thought he was asked about her lower-court nomination.

“Leader Schumer does not have a preferred candidate for the Supreme Court,” the spokesperson said. “He has complete faith that President Biden will choose a very capable and qualified candidate.”

Last edited:
If President Biden wants to appoint a black chick that will represent the people on the Supreme Court, why isn't he considering either Diamond or Silk?

Both are extraordinarily qualified and have blogged about important legal issues repeatedly over the years. Great friends with the Great American, Sean Hannity.

you're blowing it, liberals. Biden could botch yet another pick

excerpts:

After Sherrod Brown caught wind of the progressive angst over judge Michelle Childs’ possible ascension to the Supreme Court, the labor stalwart talked it through with her biggest Democratic backer — the House majority whip.

And the Ohio Democratic senator walked away satisfied from his conversation with Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), who’s stumping hard for his home-state judge to join the high court.

Brown’s support is a huge shot in the arm for Childs, who’s facing grumbles on the left over her past work as a lawyer on behalf of corporations. She is already President Joe Biden’s Supreme Court contender with the highest ceiling for GOP support, as Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) pushes strongly for her alongside Clyburn, the No. 3 House Democratic leader.

But the South Carolina district court judge likely has more work to do to win over the progressive senators she’ll need to get confirmed. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) declined to talk about Childs at all: “I’m not going to comment. Nope.”

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) predicted that Biden “wants somebody on the court who understands the struggles that working families are facing right now, who understands the enormous power of corporate interests.” He also offered a subtle warning as the White House vets its short list. “You want somebody who is going to be reflective of the needs of working families and understands that we are moving towards an oligarchy in this country," Sanders said.

“It’s really important that we have somebody on the Supreme Court that understands that dynamic and is going to be thinking in an impartial way about how these cases affect big businesses as well as workers,” said Sen. Tina Smith (D-Minn.). “I’m going to look to see how people measure up to that principle.”

“Childs has a record at an openly anti-union law firm,” said Larry Cohen, a former labor leader and the chair of Our Revolution, a group with ties to Sanders. He described her record as “eight years at a firm that attacks organizing in the state with the lowest collective bargaining coverage in the U.S.”

Democrats were careful Tuesday in responding to questions about Childs’ record. Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), who serves on the Judiciary Committee, said he would closely scrutinize her positions on workplace safety and worker protections should she be nominated.

He downplayed the idea that her record is currently a deal-breaker but also suggested the concerns from liberals will be considered and the issues vetted: “Not to say the criticisms are mistaken, but I want to see for myself what she’s done.”

Some Democrats said they were wary of setting a standard that projects the views of corporations onto the attorneys who represented them.

“Sometimes representing a client is not a choice you get to make. We have to be careful about that, right?” said Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii). “I’d just be careful of attributing to a lawyer the views of their client. And that’s something the Republicans have tried to do when we nominate and confirm public defenders. It’s not the way we should look at lawyers who could be judges.”

"Imagine the reception if she had a record working for unions," he added, "and then ask how could a pro-union president even consider her?”

Still, it’s a touchy subject to stump for or against a nominee. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer appeared to endorse fellow New Yorker and circuit court judge Eunice Lee for the Supreme Court on Tuesday, calling her his “preferred candidate” in a press conference, but then walking that back minutes later in a statement that said he mistakenly thought he was asked about her lower-court nomination.

“Leader Schumer does not have a preferred candidate for the Supreme Court,” the spokesperson said. “He has complete faith that President Biden will choose a very capable and qualified candidate.”
If Democrats had an ounce of decency, they would wait until the people's voice is heard at the mid terms in November. The Mitch could just delay the hearings until the people speak in 2024 and the true 2020 winner, Trump is restored. That would be the only fair thing to do.

Forum List

Back