Led Zeppelin Vs. The Beatles - Who Is The True Rock G.O.A.T.?

Moody Blues are in my top 10. Anyone else? Did anyone see the show with Gary Brooker and the Dutch Nat'l symphony that was done in the 2000's? His voice is better than ever and the whole thing is magical. Especially, "A Whiter Shade of Pale." It's on facebook. Check it out to be awed.
I got my wires crossed. Blame it on age. I meant Procol Harum. They and Moody blues both recorded a recent gig with the Danish Nat'l Symphony. Brooker and Procol did Whiter Shade of Pale and Moody Blues did Nights in White Saturn. Both equally mind blowing. Check them out on youtube. You won't be disappointed. BTW the Orchestra also did a rendition of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly that is one for the ages.

The Kinks, not many put them in their top 5. Nice.

My list would be Rush, Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, Van Morrison. The last is a very late addition to my list, I seem to have mellowed as age.
I love groups that bring a whole new style of music, and the Kinks were doing it for 4 decades :) i Love the Kinks!

For those who love music history and The Beatles, you really should check out a pair of concerts on DVD. It's called McCartney in Red Square. It shows just how big an effect the Beatles had on not only the youth of Russia but the leadership as well. The Russian Defense Minister talks about how the Beatles music softened him to the west. He talks about buying Love Me Do and then the entire collection. It talks to teens and those who were teens back then and how it opened their minds to freedoms that they didn't even know they were being denied. Plus the music is amazing. Paul gives it his heart and soul and the Russian audience falls in love with the music all over again. It's heart warming and educational. I think I've watched it about 50 times. Do yourself a big favor and rent it.

:thankusmile::yes_text12::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

best damn post on this thread. yeah you nailed it,no contest.
The first corporate sponsored boy band.
And Paul McCartney was the absolute KING of cheesy love songs.
They were so popular because they were one of the first, and they were heavily-heavily-heavily pushed by label radio and the industry in general.

The first corporate sponsored boy band.
And Paul McCartney was the absolute KING of cheesy love songs.
They were so popular because they were one of the first, and they were heavily-heavily-heavily pushed by label radio and the industry in general.
Wrong on all counts. They weren't put together by any corporation and had to fight their way into the US.

True about McCartney but he also wrote Helter Skelter and brought in orchestral pieces. When they started there were ONLY cheesy love songs, they expanded rock to include much more like Penny Lane.

They were so popular because they were so creative, doing what had never been done before. They deserved to be #1. The Stones were a very close second followed by every other group/artist that followed.

Wrong on all counts. They weren't put together by any corporation and had to fight their way into the US.

True about McCartney but he also wrote Helter Skelter and brought in orchestral pieces. When they started there were ONLY cheesy love songs, they expanded rock to include much more like Penny Lane.

They were so popular because they were so creative, doing what had never been done before. They deserved to be #1. The Stones were a very close second followed by every other group/artist that followed.
No
They were pushed by the labels and the industry just like Elvis was.
Not saying Beatles had no talent, obviously they did. But the best ever? - no
Paul McCartney's musical volume consist of about 70% sappy-silly songs, 20% great music and 10% pure garbage.
Their last year the band barely held together as evidenced clearly by their recording videos where Lennon and Harrison visibly had it up to their necks with McCartney wanting to churn out silly songs.
In Lennons - words "we haven't done anything meaningful or worthwhile for so long.... this song is like all of the others songs about nothing"

Paul is probably the greatest songwriter in history. He just farts great songs. Along with John and George, and of course Ringo, they were the greatest band in history. Without a doubt. Even musicians agree that the greatest song ever was "In My Life".

Your hatred of Paul is based on some John Lennon quotes after the Beatles broke up, which he took back. John and Paul are my idols, along will Billy Joel.

Paul McCartney's musical volume consist of about 70% sappy-silly songs, 20% great music and 10% pure garbage.
McCartney wrote some 800+ songs. If only 20% were great that's still 160 great songs.

Their last year the band barely held together as evidenced clearly by their recording videos where Lennon and Harrison visibly had it up to their necks with McCartney wanting to churn out silly songs.
In Lennons - words "we haven't done anything meaningful or worthwhile for so long.... this song is like all of the others songs about nothing"
Not true, they were tired of Paul's perfectionism and ego, not his music.

This isn't just some sappy song, this is really great songwriting! No rock band could have done this except the Beatles, because of Paul....

No
They were pushed by the labels and the industry just like Elvis was.
Not saying Beatles had no talent, obviously they did. But the best ever? - no
It's obvious you haven't studied how they got their break after every other label turned them down.

I smell the scientific discovery of the century! Tell us more, Mr. Science
I suggest you do some research; it's rather fascinating how they were rejected by every record company except Parlaphone, a comedy label.
They also wound up doing the same thing as every other artist...
Brian Epstein got 25% of their Gross Income for 3 years.
The Publishing Company owned their music.
EMI paid them a paltry sum of money per record, single or album, because they were unknown.
They found out around 1969 that, collectively, they owned Britain 10 million pounds in taxes.
Allen Klein told them to sell the rights to their music in order to pay the taxes and associated fine.

They toured for the first 3 years just to be able to pay EMI, the publisher and Brian Epstein which is why Lennon wanted to quit after Revolver and only wrote to keep up with Paul.
It wasn't a happy story.

Last edited:
Paul is probably the greatest songwriter in history. He just farts great songs. Along with John and George, and of course Ringo, they were the greatest band in history. Without a doubt. Even musicians agree that the greatest song ever was "In My Life".

Your hatred of Paul is based on some John Lennon quotes after the Beatles broke up, which he took back. John and Paul are my idols, along will Billy Joel.
There is prolific, and there is great songs/music.
There is probably no one else I can think of. except maybe Paul Williams. who could crank out hit songs like McCartney.
But hit songs are not always, and often not, great music. The good stuff.
Compare song writing ability between Prince and McCartney - based on quality - Prince takes that award and McCartney stays in the back seat.

There is probably no one else I can think of. except maybe Paul Williams. who could crank out hit songs like McCartney.
Compare song writing ability between Prince and McCartney - based on quality - Prince takes that award and McCartney stays in the back seat.
thats all a matter of opinion......

I disagree a lot, and I love Prince!

To compare Prince to the Beatles, let alone McCartney, is a long shot.

I disagree a lot, and I love Prince!

To compare Prince to the Beatles, let alone McCartney, is a long shot.
Again I am not talking about number of hits.
I mean, c'mon yellow submarine was a big hit. It's not exactly a great song... it was basically a childrens song. Maxwell Silver Hammer... WTF was that? Again like a childrens sing a long.
There was a time Beatles could have recorded themselves sneezing and kids would have ran out and bought it.
Paul McCartney, IMO, was a hit machine. he knew how to write catchy-quick little tunes better than anyone. To this day.
I am talking quality of music. Again, not to say everything Paul did was kiddie stuff, there was groundbreaking songs mixed in with it.
But writing 1000 little catchy diddies doesn't mean you are the greatest of all time.

Forum List

Back