LDS Baptism by Proxy

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
A Chronicle of the Mormon Jewish Controversy The LDS Agreement

"From the founding of their religion in 1830, Mormons have respected Judaism as a religion. Thus in 1994, Jews were outraged when it became known that members of LDS were posthumously baptizing Holocaust victims and other Jewish dead. Many followers of Judaism find the practice highly offensive, something akin to the forced baptism of Jews practiced for centuries in Europe during the Middle Ages. Some see the practice as an implicit bias, an act of intolerance.

The wrongful baptism of Jewish dead, which disparages the memory of a deceased person is a brazen act which will obscure the historical record for future generations. It has been bitterly opposed by many Jews for a number of years. Others say they will never stop being Jews, simply because there is a paper saying they had been baptized, that the act of posthumous baptism is unimportant and should be ignored. We think this to be a narrow, parochial, and shallow view. We will continue opposing this wrongful act which assimilates our dead to the point where it will not be possible to know who was Jewish in their lifetimes.

This author was among the first genealogists to discover the names of thousands of Jewish Holocaust victims in the International Genealogical Index (the "IGI") 1, the official Mormon index of proxy baptisms for the dead, and quickly exposed this misguided practice. "

Once I"m done using it, what happens to my body I don't particularly care about. Although in my case some version of sky burial would be nice. Or the ocean version. Let my deceased remains feed the living animals into eating carrion. Or the fishes of the sea. Just you know, poke me with a stick a bit first to make sure. :)

The only reason to oppose the practice is if you actually believe that the baptism has any authority.

The only reason to oppose the practice is if you actually believe that the baptism has any authority.
Yup, every INSISTS the church is a false one yet they get upset by this? If we have no real authority or religious power how exactly does baptizing the dead do anything? I mean they are dead we did not dig up their corpses and dash water on them after all.

Further for those that care the act of baptizing the dead only provides an option to the deceased to accept or reject said baptism.

Forum List

Back