LBJ's "War on Poverty" has been a dismal failure

Failure? Obammy just announced he's gonna irradicte poverty. Especially if you're a Chocktaw indian woohoo!!!!

I watched a program about LBJ's War On Poverty last night.

4 of 5 people living in poverty in the 1960ties were white.

LBJ wanted more jobs training programs than hand outs.

The exact same arguments that people make today were being made then.

Head Start was/is a success and was a cornerstone when this was implemented.

Education was the key.

Of course LBJ couldn't imagine that we would send so much manufacturing out of the country.
He was relying on those kinds of jobs to be available when people got educated and trained and ready to work.

LBJ couldn't have imagined that we would go from the number 1 educational system in the world to number 18 or whatever it is. He just had to make sure kids were in school.

No I think that LBJ thought if he could just get poor people educated and trained, there would be jobs to be filled. And they wouldn't be poor no more. With a good paying union job. Had to say that.

But at least he had a pretty good educational system to work with and jobs jobs jobs.

My Mom and Dad both grew up in poverty in the mountains of Va. They were so poor they didn't know they were poor. Cause no one they knew had it any better. No running water, no electricity till the late 40ties. You can go up some of them hollers today and not much has changed.

Poverty is the conditions you live in. Poor is what you are. And it will always be with us to some extent. LBJ just wanted cut the numbers way down. Noble cause.

And it would have worked better if we hadn't got rid of all those jobs. And our education system was still the best.

Education was the key.

Of course LBJ couldn't imagine that we would send so much manufacturing out of the country.
He was relying on those kinds of jobs to be available when people got educated and trained and ready to work.

LBJ couldn't have imagined that we would go from the number 1 educational system in the world to number 18 or whatever it is. He just had to make sure kids were in school.

No I think that LBJ thought if he could just get poor people educated and trained, there would be jobs to be filled. And they wouldn't be poor no more. With a good paying union job. Had to say that.

But at least he had a pretty good educational system to work with and jobs jobs jobs.

My Mom and Dad both grew up in poverty in the mountains of Va. They were so poor they didn't know they were poor. Cause no one they knew had it any better. No running water, no electricity till the late 40ties. You can go up some of them hollers today and not much has changed.

Poverty is the conditions you live in. Poor is what you are. And it will always be with us to some extent. LBJ just wanted cut the numbers way down. Noble cause.

And it would have worked better if we hadn't got rid of all those jobs. And our education system was still the best.

sure it was a noble cause. no one is denying that. The problem is that it did not work. throwing govt money at a problem never fixes it.

You libs complain about jobs leaving the country, why is there no longer a textile industry in the US? Do you know? Unions and taxes, thats why. Said another way, the government and the unions destroyed the textile industry in the USA. Now those jobs are in Costa Rica and Mexico.

Why is there no commercial shipbuilding industry in the USA? Unions, regulations, and taxes. Why did GM go broke? Unions, poor management, and taxes.

I could go on but maybe you get the idea.

Today, the poverty rate is only slightly below where it was in 1964, and it came with a $20 trillion price tag. What’s more, a record 47 million Americans are now receiving food stamps, which is about 13 million more than when the President Obama took office.

Democrats are deeply vested in making sure we don't solve poverty as that would only eliminate the base source of their votes. Keep em poor, let illegals vote, expand welfare roles, send them checks and you're in power for life.

Sad but true.

Now not all welfare state politicians are democrats - the members of the Republican Party Surrender Caucus - also support the scam in order to be considered "electable"

Today, the poverty rate is only slightly below where it was in 1964, and it came with a $20 trillion price tag. What’s more, a record 47 million Americans are now receiving food stamps, which is about 13 million more than when the President Obama took office.

Democrats are deeply vested in making sure we don't solve poverty as that would only eliminate the base source of their votes. Keep em poor, let illegals vote, expand welfare roles, send them checks and you're in power for life.

Sad but true.

Now not all welfare state politicians are democrats - the members of the Republican Party Surrender Caucus - also support the scam in order to be considered "electable"

Sad but true as well

LBJ's strategy was a HUGE success for the Democratic Party but not for anyone else. Everybody lost, the poor, the taxpayers, and society as a whole. The Democratic Party continues to be the sole beneficiary of this travesty:

""I'll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.""
~ Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One

""These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don't move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there'll be no way of stopping them, we'll lose the filibuster and there'll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It'll be Reconstruction all over again.""

LBJ

The Relentless Conservative: The Democratic Party's Two-Facedness of Race Relations

Huffington Post

Are the "liberals" disputing the quote?

No, they are agreeing with it

Rest my case.

His motive was to snare them into an addictive scam.

Black poverty has dropped by half since the war on poverty began.

If you really want to help further, raise the minimum wage.

“The Republicans believe in the minimum wage — the more the minimum, the better.” - Harry Truman

Education was the key.

sure it was a noble cause. no one is denying that. The problem is that it did not work. throwing govt money at a problem never fixes it.

You libs complain about jobs leaving the country, why is there no longer a textile industry in the US? Do you know? Unions and taxes, thats why. Said another way, the government and the unions destroyed the textile industry in the USA. Now those jobs are in Costa Rica and Mexico.

Why is there no commercial shipbuilding industry in the USA? Unions, regulations, and taxes. Why did GM go broke? Unions, poor management, and taxes.

Dude, I wish you were smart enough to respond to anything with out all the sound bites.
Look up the word "nuance"

Unions and taxes eh. Isn't that the same as saying greed by the corporations was the reason.

The corporations didn't want to pay an American worker a decent wage. And they didn't want to pay taxes to the country where they built their business to a success story.

And you applaud greed by the corporations.

Yea Greeeeeeeeed was the reason. Greed begets greed. Corporations get greedy unions got greedy government stood buy and did nothing.

BTW. The textile industry in making a come back in this country. All automated.

Hey did you know that the Panama Canal is being deepened to handle supertankers. On our east coast, we only have two ports deep enough to handle them. We have neglected our infrastructure to the point we can't keep up.

Canada will create all those trucker and longshoremen jobs. Good paying jobs. Cause the damn repubs won't spend money on improving our ports. Wonder if that's why we lost so many shipbuilding jobs. Poor infrastructure. Or did we allow a foreign company to buy up our shipbuilding companies and move the jobs elsewhere?

Damn...that argument is just so fucking stupid. How is it that so many of you buy it?

Those jobs were exported because entrepreneurs did not want to be subjected to confiscatory taxation and massive regulations.

Someone has to pay the 20 TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTrillion tab.

Education was the key.

Dude, I wish you were smart enough to respond to anything with out all the sound bites.
Look up the word "nuance"

Unions and taxes eh. Isn't that the same as saying greed by the corporations was the reason.

The corporations didn't want to pay an American worker a decent wage. And they didn't want to pay taxes to the country where they built their business to a success story.

And you applaud greed by the corporations.

Yea Greeeeeeeeed was the reason. Greed begets greed. Corporations get greedy unions got greedy government stood buy and did nothing.

BTW. The textile industry in making a come back in this country. All automated.

Hey did you know that the Panama Canal is being deepened to handle supertankers. On our east coast, we only have two ports deep enough to handle them. We have neglected our infrastructure to the point we can't keep up.

Canada will create all those trucker and longshoremen jobs. Good paying jobs. Cause the damn repubs won't spend money on improving our ports. Wonder if that's why we lost so many shipbuilding jobs. Poor infrastructure. Or did we allow a foreign company to buy up our shipbuilding companies and move the jobs elsewhere?

you idiot, GREED is what makes life better.

yes, you heard me.
If not greed and the means to it - we would still be in caves.

ignorant leftards and their parroting the masters :rolleyes:

Damn...that argument is just so fucking stupid. How is it that so many of you buy it?

You may not realize it, but you've answered your own question.

Those jobs were exported because entrepreneurs did not want to be subjected to confiscatory taxation and massive regulations.

Someone has to pay the 20 TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTrillion tab.

Ah bullshit dude. That's a sound bite again. They started moving jobs in the late 70ties for cheaper labor costs. And to break the unions. Period.

And how is it that a country like Germany, with a large manufacturing base, can keep their jobs, turn a profit and pay their workers very well?

I thought we were "the best". And we couldn't figure out what the Germans did. Instead of talking to China about sending them our jobs maybe our manufactures need to talk to Germans about how to keep our jobs here.

initially, say till 1975, I'd say yea, it was necessary, the rural areas most particularly needed infrastructure, urban assistance(s) , job trng. educational opportunities were a 'sorta' success etc...but like all gov. programs it mission creeped to all get out.......

example- last year we had a bruhaha here regards a welfare recipient having to have ( or should have the right) to purchase and possess a smart phone WITH data plan for texting etc. ...texting:lol: ....thats how effing ridiculous it as become now.

a Trillion $$ a year for 80 means-tested welfare programs ( not incl. SS or medicare), adjusted for inflation thats lke 15 times more than we spent when we started.

there was never any "war on poverty". There was a war on the minds of certain population to vote dimocrap for generations.

that demagoguery war was won.

Poverty did not matter to LBJ at all and neither does it to any of his successors.

Exactly.

Their mission was create a class which would become addicted to freebies and would vote for welfare state politicians in order to show their appreciation.

and they created that class. social engineering at it's purest.

An any politician who opposes the massive transfer of wealth scheme will be considered "UNelectable".

OP- OF COURSE Nixon wrecked as much he could, and then Reagan has ruined the middle class.

Medicare hasn't been wrecked, and poverty among the elderly has gone from 47 per cent in 1964 to 15
now. And poverty is a lot lower, too low for the GOP I GATHER...

It's been a raging success at decimating the black family.... which I'm sure was part of the plan.

Forum List

Back