Law School Accrediting Panel Votes to Make LSAT Optional to increase diversity

Burgermeister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2021
An American Bar Association panel voted Friday to drop a requirement that law school applicants take the LSAT or another standardized admissions test, amid debate about whether the tests help or hurt diversity in admissions. (Editorial comment here - The purpose of the LSAT is not to affect diversity in admissions in any way.)

“In the grand scheme of things, folks of color perform less well on the LSAT than not, and for that reason, I think we are headed in the right direction,” Leo Martinez, an ABA council member and dean emeritus at University of California, Hastings College of the Law, said at the meeting. “I am sympathetic that it gives people like me a chance.”
(Editorial comment - Leo, people like you did well on the LSAT.)

I'd like to hear from some folks of color here about how this publicly and unashamedly lowering of the bar for them and "people like them" makes them feel.

An American Bar Association panel voted Friday to drop a requirement that law school applicants take the LSAT or another standardized admissions test, amid debate about whether the tests help or hurt diversity in admissions. (Editorial comment here - The purpose of the LSAT is not to affect diversity in admissions in any way.)

“In the grand scheme of things, folks of color perform less well on the LSAT than not, and for that reason, I think we are headed in the right direction,” Leo Martinez, an ABA council member and dean emeritus at University of California, Hastings College of the Law, said at the meeting. “I am sympathetic that it gives people like me a chance.” (Editorial comment - Leo, people like you did well on the LSAT.)

I'd like to hear from some folks of color here about how this publicly and unashamedly lowering of the bar for them and "people like them" makes them feel.

It's like the time they lowered the SAT requirements to get blacks who can't read or write into college to play sports.
700 SAT score.
You have to be a total illiterate to get a score that low....but they talked everyone into allowing it....and now we have blacks who somehow made it thru college running everything in our big cities.
And they wonder why crime is going thru the roof.

If I was up on charges for a serious offense, I wouldn't hire one of these newly admitted Affirmative Action lawyers.

I guess they will all have to take jobs as ambulance chasers where they don't get paid for losses.

“In the grand scheme of things, folks of color perform less well on the LSAT than not, and for that reason, I think we are headed in the right direction,” Leo Martinez, an ABA council member and dean emeritus at University of California, Hastings College of the Law, said at the meeting. “I am sympathetic that it gives people like me a chance.” (Editorial comment - Leo, people like you did well on the LSAT.)

Well Born in Kenya Barack never took it, so there’s that

If you stop pushing and paying attention to diversity you're actually promoting diversity.

If a school only cared about achievements, scores and ambition then they wouldn't have to worry about diversity. The best students, regardless of skin color would get into programs.

Because isn't that what you want in a law program is to let in the best and brightest first?

Same goes for employers, don't you want the best person for the job instead of worrying about the best skin color?

If employers and schools all sought the best people then there would be no need for forced diversity because all the most responsible, ambitious, intelligent and hard working people would get ahead. Skin color wouldn't even enter into it this making things truly equal and fair.

And if non whites truly want to be treated equal and fair then they need to act equal and fair.

I'm a black man who has a daughter who's a senior in HS and looking at the prospects of going into law school in the future. I strongly dislike this lowering for standards for minorities. It lessens our achievements and invites the opportunity for some to down on us. If there's one standard and you, me and Leo all meet the standard, then in everyone's eyes, we're equals. When the standard's lowered, it allows people to ask are you here because you're an equal or are you here as a "diversity student". Now, once there, we can show that we're capable of doing the coursework, but why invite the suspicion if you don't have to? What we should be doing is going to the schools, finding students who can meet the standards, and incentivize (if necessary) to get more minorities into law.

Forum List

Back