Laughers or Nail biters?

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
USMB Sports Fans, what do you say?...

Given the option for you preferred teams to either be involved in Laughers/Blowouts where the result is decided early on and one team just cruises to victory (not always your team)

OR

Have every game go down to the wire and be decided very near to or at the end (again, not always in your team’s favor)

which would you prefer?

Personally, I’m on the blowout/rout/laugher side of the equation. If it isn’t my team’s day/night I can turn it off early and spend my time more usefully elsewhere. If they are going to win, there’s no drama to increase the blood pressure, create heartburn/nausea or incite migraines. Seems like a Win/Win to me.

Personally, I’m on the blowout/rout/laugher side of the equation.
Drunk.
If it isn’t my team’s day/night I can turn it off early and spend my time more usefully elsewhere.
Delirious.
If they are going to win, there’s no drama to increase the blood pressure, create heartburn/nausea or incite migraines. Seems like a Win/Win to me.
What sort of chemicals are you doing? Is there an anti-doping agency?

What sort of chemicals are you doing?

None. I do not drink, smoke, or do any form of drugs. Never have and never will.

My question was, and is, a serious one.

I refuse to waste my time and energy watching an event where I seem to have more interest in the outcome than the athletes involved in the game.

It could go either way. But I think there’s nothing better than a well played game by two teams and your team gets the thrilling victory

It could go either way. But I think there’s nothing better than a well played game by two teams and your team gets the thrilling victory

What if they don’t win? Then you have invested your time, energy, emotional investment, etc... and gotten nothing in return.

Those things (my time and emotional energy especially) are far too valuable to me to be wasting them on losing efforts.

What if they don’t win? Then you have invested your time, energy, emotional investment, etc... and gotten nothing in return.

Those things (my time and emotional energy especially) are far too valuable to me to be wasting them on losing efforts.

My experience with watching sports has mostly been frustrating. I’m a Mets, Knicks, Bills fan. I watched Tarver Knockout Roy Jones and Princeton beat UCLA. But by in large it’s been mostly year after year in disappointments.

Clearly, the best contest is one where both sides play well for the entire game, and it is ultimately decided by a "heroic" play at the end. Mazeroski's home run, for example, to win the '60 WS.

A "Blowout" is not interesting to watch, as the conclusion is foregone, even if "your" team is the one on top.

The WORST contest is the one that is close for the duration, then is decided by either a controversial official's call, or an errant play.

I have seen the Pirates MLB and Lions NFL loose some close games due to bad calls. They are two good clubs with loyal fans and should have better win loss records then they have.

when my teams plays I want a blowout
when my teams are not involved I like it down to the wire

A "Blowout" is not interesting to watch, as the conclusion is foregone, even if "your" team is the one on top.

I respectfully disagree. I live watching my team blow someone else’s doors off. Those are the MOST ENJOYABLE games to watch. At least in my mind.

Forum List

Back