Last known woman believed to be last survivor of transatlantic slave trade

And as we blacks all know, blacks were born on America soil into slavery. But you have to question why somebody wants to point out that the last person who lived through the middle passage died during jim crow. What is this person trying to prove?
what are you trying to prove by constantly bringing up slavery and HISTORY of injustice to blacks?

That's a strange reaction.

It's the same one I get when I post in History or Race Relations (which this is) about the Tulsa or East St. Louis race riots or the history of lynchings. Certain wags (always predictable which ones) rush in to tell me to shut up. As if they expect me to hold the rug up while they sweep, rather than point out the dirt. I guess it's also the same ones who object to writing about the Lost Cause Cult.

I guess it just astounds me when somebody wants information suppressed. That's exactly why I looked up the slave ship above, because I saw the date 1860 and I knew that legal slave shipping had ceased in 1808. How can you not be curious about that?

I mean --- I learned something here. I can't figure out what the downside is to that.

IM2 is the one questioning the op. Miz Molly was questioning IM2 method of harping on past wrongs.

I agree that this historical factoid is interesting. I guess I had always assumed that there was SOME illegal shipping of slaves after the ban, but I did not know that any actual family lines had been traced like this.

There is a huge difference between learning about history and using history as a club.

Just because history might make your ancestors look bad does not mean that history is being used as a club. .....

Correct. It is when history is used as a club, to just bash a person's enemies for events long gone, that makes history into a club.

THat is not what the op is doing. It is what IM2 does ALL THE TIME.

I'm not seeing it. Can you quote it?

He is not doing it here. Miz Molly was asking about his standard behavior.

I mean, I'm sure, I could quote it. If you really feel you would benefit from it.

And as we blacks all know, blacks were born on America soil into slavery. But you have to question why somebody wants to point out that the last person who lived through the middle passage died during jim crow. What is this person trying to prove?
what are you trying to prove by constantly bringing up slavery and HISTORY of injustice to blacks?

It's the same one I get when I post in History or Race Relations (which this is) about the Tulsa or East St. Louis race riots or the history of lynchings. Certain wags (always predictable which ones) rush in to tell me to shut up. As if they expect me to hold the rug up while they sweep, rather than point out the dirt. I guess it's also the same ones who object to writing about the Lost Cause Cult.

I guess it just astounds me when somebody wants information suppressed. That's exactly why I looked up the slave ship above, because I saw the date 1860 and I knew that legal slave shipping had ceased in 1808. How can you not be curious about that?

I mean --- I learned something here. I can't figure out what the downside is to that.

IM2 is the one questioning the op. Miz Molly was questioning IM2 method of harping on past wrongs.

I agree that this historical factoid is interesting. I guess I had always assumed that there was SOME illegal shipping of slaves after the ban, but I did not know that any actual family lines had been traced like this.

There is a huge difference between learning about history and using history as a club.

Just because history might make your ancestors look bad does not mean that history is being used as a club. .....

Correct. It is when history is used as a club, to just bash a person's enemies for events long gone, that makes history into a club.

I mean, I'm sure, I could quote it. If you really feel you would benefit from it.

Oh I see. So she's whining about content that isn't even present. That's instructive.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Oh I see. So she's whining about content that isn't even present. That's instructive.

Whining? That is a huge leap of value judgement. You seem to be unaware of IM2's behavior, but you are comfortable defending it by ridiculing someone's else's comments on it/

That is not reasonable. And IM2, is a full of hate racist. You do not want to be on his side.

Do you find it odd that the op posted a story about this woman that died during Jim Crow?

Cause IM2 does. He worried about what the point was.

Are you prepared to make a value judgement on that weird question? Or does IM2 get a pass, and if so why?

And to remind you, I AGREE WITH YOU THAT THIS IS AN INTERESTING HISTORICAL FIND. IM2 is the one who wants to know what the point of it is.

Whining? That is a huge leap of value judgement. You seem to be unaware of IM2's behavior, but you are comfortable defending it by ridiculing someone's else's comments on it/

That is not reasonable. And IM2, is a full of hate racist. You do not want to be on his side.

Do you find it odd that the op posted a story about this woman that died during Jim Crow?

Are you prepared to make a value judgement on that weird question? Or does IM2 get a pass, and if so why?

And to remind you, I AGREE WITH YOU THAT THIS IS AN INTERESTING HISTORICAL FIND. IM2 is the one who wants to know what the point of it is.

Hey, I asked where the evidence was, you yourself said there wasn't any. As for the whiner, she ran away.
I can see why.

• Thanks

Hey, I asked where the evidence was, you yourself said there wasn't any. As for the whiner, she ran away.
I can see why.

You are seriously claiming to be unaware of the way IM2 is?

She was not whining. She was making a comment on his normal behavior.

That you were confused by that, when it was pretty clear from the context, was not her fault.

IM2 is a hate filled, raving anti-white racist, and if you choose to side with HIM, that is on YOU.

IM2 thought it was odd to bring up this story, about a woman that died during the JIm Crow era.

His only concern with history is using it as a weapon.

I think that IM2 would stand up for women, Jews, Muslims, gays, Armenians. I think that he is as stand-up guy.

I know that IM2, uses history as a weapon to beat his current day enemies with. He uses it as a club.

People like him are tearing this nation apart.

HInt: THat is not going to work out well, for the women, jews, muslims, gays or Aremenians.

Could you tolerate and participate in a discussion of what certain groups went through in the history of the US? There were laws ensuring that the children of enslaved people were slaves, there were laws against teaching literacy to enslaved people, there was the Fugitive Slave Act, there were laws that stripped Native American people of their rights and uprooted them from their ancestral lands, there were laws that gave over the inheritance of women to their husbands when they married, there were laws that gave husbands the right to the earnings of their wives, there were laws that prohibited women from voting, there were laws that were designed to keep African-Americans from voting, there were laws designed to exclude the Chinese people, and so much more. Remember also, the mistreatment of people, many white men, who worked in the coal mines.

Can you stand a full discussion of what occurred in the history of this country?

I think that IM2 would stand up for women, Jews, Muslims, gays, Armenians. I think that he is as stand-up guy.

I know that IM2, uses history as a weapon to beat his current day enemies with. He uses it as a club.

HInt: THat is not going to work out well, for the women, jews, muslims, gays or Aremenians.

Could you tolerate and participate in a discussion of what certain groups went through in the history of the US? There were laws ensuring that the children of enslaved people were slaves, there were laws against teaching literacy to enslaved people, there was the Fugitive Slave Act, there were laws that stripped Native American people of their rights and uprooted them from their ancestral lands, there were laws that gave over the inheritance of women to their husbands when they married, there were laws that gave husbands the right to the earnings of their wives, there were laws that prohibited women from voting, there were laws that were designed to keep African-Americans from voting, there were laws designed to exclude the Chinese people, and so much more. Remember also, the mistreatment of people, many white men, who worked in the coal mines.

Can you stand a full discussion of what occurred in the history of this country?
He can't do that. He's prescribes to white male victimhood.

Where has he done that?

Where has he done that?
Read his posts.

Where has he done that?
Read his posts.

In this thread? Or elsewhere?

Where has he done that?
Read his posts.

In this thread? Or elsewhere?
Anywhere in this section.

Do those laws exist today? I can stand a discussion on these historic facts AS LONG as they are not used so that any one group of people alive today bear any responsibility for these actions.

Do those laws exist today? I can stand a discussion on these historic facts AS LONG as they are not used so that any one group of people alive today bear any responsibility for these actions.

"Every white person isn't guilty for every bad thing that's been done to every black person.” "But if we benefit from cooperating with white supremacy, then we are responsible for changing it. To tolerate racism in our social system is to be complicit."

The Rev. Jim Wallis, author of "America's Original Sin: Racism, White Privilege, and the Bridge to a New America."

You have benefitted from those laws, so then don't demand responsibility from others you won't take yourself. When I say that, it is for you to admit that you have benefitted from those laws and understand that a lot of those laws have been used in your lifetime. In fact there is still housing policy used today from those times you want to absolve yourself of responsibility for. We non whites and women should not have to continue suffering because of the things that happened before we were born no different than you should continue getting the benefits from them.

Nobody has to take any responsibility for what occurred in history. But we are here today, in this time, and at this time there are people who are trying to back up their arguments with references to "the Founders," what is "traditional," what is "biblical," all of which is history.

What is important is to find the way forward for all of us, men and women, people of all races and ethnic backgrounds, people of all religions and none, people of all sexual orientations. What I see from those who refer to "the Founders," what is "traditional," what is "biblical," is that they do not want to participate in American society and our discussions. They don't want to take a chair in our American round-table and speak with others.

• Thanks

Not at this point I could not. I am too bored with it. 30 years ago? No problem.

But why do you even ask? My boredom with certain subjects does not effect IM2's behavior.

Unless you are tying to imply that my perception is based on some "hypersensitivity" to uncomfortable topics?

LOL!!! If that was your point, rest assured, it is not that.

I think that we should recognize the fact that history has us here now. And that so many here who want to talk about not being responsible for the past want to take us back to that past relative to a return to some kind of so called American greatness. So then if you don't want to be held responsible for that past, why do you want to MAGA or shit like that? Because to some of us, there never was a time when America was great. We are tlaking about making America great for real, not a return to when only one group got everything they now don't want to be held responsible for.

Says the punk that won't answer my question.

I think that we should recognize the fact that history has us here now. And that so many here who want to talk about not being responsible for the past want to take us back to that past relative to a return to some kind of so called American greatness. So then if you don't want to be held responsible for that past, why do you want to MAGA or shit like that? Because to some of us, there never was a time when America was great. We are tlaking about making America great for real, not a return to when only one group got everything they now don't want to be held responsible for.

1. When we talk about a return to greatness, we are not talking about "one group got everything".

2. Do you consider yourself an American?

3. Would you like to see American power decline in the world?

Not at this point I could not. I am too bored with it. 30 years ago? No problem.

But why do you even ask? My boredom with certain subjects does not effect IM2's behavior.

Unless you are tying to imply that my perception is based on some "hypersensitivity" to uncomfortable topics?

LOL!!! If that was your point, rest assured, it is not that.
You are not the only person who is bored, believe me. White supremacists, "Christian" crumbcakes, trump-is-god-types, anti-choice morons.

• Love

Forum List

Back