land for sale?

Cutting enough wood to last all winter would be almost impossible. Even with the right machines which cost thousands of dollars it is still a huge amount of work. Buying a few cords of wood and supplementing with propane or electric heat is more feasible. Pellet stoves are also popular here and the pellets can be purchased at many outlets. I don't have one so I do not know what the cost/BUTs would be.

The biggest thing that strikes me is that one person will have their hands full taking care of the place and two disabled people. That right there is likely a full time job which would not leave a lot of time or energy for heavy labor which living off of the land entails. I would seriously think of locating on the edge of town in a rural area where other folks raise animals and have yearly gardens where you would also have basic utilities available.

A person can get a nice 2 acre place with a house and add a decent 5th. wheel trailer or regular tow trailer under an aluminum RV cover for what you have available in your budget. In the right area you would have your pick of places starting at what about 90K or so for a place that isn't devolved real well. Spending a bit more will get you a better house maybe a stand alone garage or metal building along with your couple of acres. All a travel trailer for another residence for a single guy would need is a sewer hook up, water and an extension cord with 35 or 50 amps of service. The sewer hookup can also be worked around with a portable tank or a Macerator sewage pump .

I don't know about *thousands* of dollars to cut enough wood for a winter...you get your permit (I don't know how much it costs, but it isn't much), and a chain saw, and a truck.....if you already have the truck then really your only expense is fuel...and time. The chainsaw, if you don't have one, costs anywhere from $200 up.

Well, he's got a point in who's going to be cutting the wood. I don't think I'd trust my son with a chainsaw. Heck, I don't know if I even trust myself with one. You know, my uncle used to cut up a log with just a saw and then split it with an ax. It may take longer, but I think it might be safer, and once we retire, I'm not in a hurry. Wood may just supplement our heat. It would supplement our heat here if there weren't so many regulations.

How about 55 acres in Nova Scotia? Near a town, in the countryside, on a pure freshwater lake, stable and peaceful country...

...I could make you a nice deal!

Okay, my husband is getting ready to retire. We are looking at the complete collapse of our monetary system due to debt that we can't possibly pay (American's debt, not ours). So we are considering purchasing some land off in the boonies hoping we can live off the land in our old age. Any suggestions as to where we could retire? Where we could find land with water that was cheap enough and in a good area? Someplace we can put a couple of small homes on, one for us and one for our adult child who is disabled? Preferably someplace close to where we could go hunting for food. Would be cool if there was someplace close by that we could go fishing and it all has to cost about $200,000 or less.

Is this impossible? Any suggestions? We would prefer to stay in our state due to our other disabled child who is in a home and we want to be close to him too.

Also suggestions...my husband is considering closing out his VIP account (most call it a 401K) due to the government threatening to take it over. My husband would then invest that money in the land, a home or improvements on the land and we'd live on social security and Boeing's retirement plan for as long as that lasts. Does anybody think this is a good idea or bad idea? Why or why not?
What did you do in 1999/2000 - Y2K?

You sound like a complete whacko. You need to get away from whomever you are isolated with and seek help in the outside world

Your 2 disabled adult children? SSDI...housing assistance...lots of money and assistance there...those children need to get away from you. Hopefully somebody will report you to social services

Does your husband, you, or your children own weapons? Do you people have a history of mental illness? This would help us give you adequate advice

Last edited:
I have a book, and I can follow directions. IOW, I can do just about anything I set my mind to do.

Isn't your husband disabled?

You're going to pack it up and move to the boonies and live off the land with a disabled husband...and you have no survival skills?

Wow.

Get a place with a good well. If you're going to live off the land, you need to be able to grow a big garden, and have pasture for animals. Good luck.

Well, I don't intend to totally live off the land, but I do think a garden is a given. I also want chickens and possibly a goat. And I think it would be nice if we could go hunting nearby, though I realize my son or I would be the one's doing the hunting, I don't think my husband can hold a gun steady enough. My husband has parkinson's and I think the extra work with his hands and no pressure would actually be good for him, and it doesn't have to be perfect. He used to be a painter as in art. He can still do it, though not as well. And yes, we need a place with a good well, we'll probably have the houses built, small one's. Or one house with a mother in law apartment. I don't want too much land, 5 acres should be fine. I'm not looking to go into farming and make a living off of the land, only to subsidize our lifestyle. And I want to be able to use a wood stove. I live in the city right now and our winter energy bills are up to $600 a month. We can't burn in our woodstove unless it's our only source of heat so that's out. I was jealous when I saw my friends utility bills for her house built in the early 1900's. $200 for EVERYTHING. Of course her house is a lot smaller than ours. We definitely need to go with a smaller house. I also wouldn't mind finding a group of people that do live off the land that would be willing to help us to learn.

Of course all this right now is talk. I'm just sick of not being warm because out county won't let us use our woodstove and I also would like to have chickens as I love fresh eggs but that can't be done in our city on our lot. I think I liked it better before we became a city.

Okay, this is it. Either you are drinking while posting or screaming out for help. Anyone here who knows who you are has a civic and moral duty to report you to the authorities before you hurt yourself or others:evil:

Okay, my husband is getting ready to retire. We are looking at the complete collapse of our monetary system due to debt that we can't possibly pay (American's debt, not ours). So we are considering purchasing some land off in the boonies hoping we can live off the land in our old age. Any suggestions as to where we could retire? Where we could find land with water that was cheap enough and in a good area? Someplace we can put a couple of small homes on, one for us and one for our adult child who is disabled? Preferably someplace close to where we could go hunting for food. Would be cool if there was someplace close by that we could go fishing and it all has to cost about $200,000 or less.

Is this impossible? Any suggestions? We would prefer to stay in our state due to our other disabled child who is in a home and we want to be close to him too.

Also suggestions...my husband is considering closing out his VIP account (most call it a 401K) due to the government threatening to take it over. My husband would then invest that money in the land, a home or improvements on the land and we'd live on social security and Boeing's retirement plan for as long as that lasts. Does anybody think this is a good idea or bad idea? Why or why not?

You are a fool if you close your 401k before you turn 59. The government is not going to "take it over". I don't know who is filling your head with this stupid shit, but you should stop listening to them. Seriously.

If you withdraw your money early, then the government really WILL take it over. They will penalize the shit out of an early withdrawal.

Idaho is popular with crazies who think the country is going to go down the tubes any day now. Try there.

people like this moron who is too cowardly to take his own advice or worse he likes messing with the minds of obviously unstable people.

Okay, my husband is getting ready to retire. We are looking at the complete collapse of our monetary system due to debt that we can't possibly pay (American's debt, not ours).
Get the hell out of the country while you still can.

Seriously....I would.

What did you do in 1999/2000 - Y2K?

You sound like a complete whacko. You need to get away from whomever you are isolated with and seek help in the outside world

Your 2 disabled adult children? SSDI...housing assistance...lots of money and assistance there...those children need to get away from you. Hopefully somebody will report you to social services

Does your husband, you, or your children own weapons? Do you people have a history of mental illness? This would help us give you adequate advice

Still here Dante? Don't worry, I don't need advise from you.

My children BTW are adults and we didn't receive a dime of support for them until they were over 18. My youngest is in a living situation with 24/7 care. My oldest lives at home and we don't get housing assistance for him. He does receive $445 SSI per month and some of that we take in room and board, I know, we're terrible parents, aren't we? Living off of our child like that. BTW, that money goes to help pay off his college loans. Yeah, he graduated from a 2 year degree at DeVry University with a 4.0 and still can't get a job. We are using his room and board money to pay off his loans. Terrible of us, isn't it?

Isn't your husband disabled?

You're going to pack it up and move to the boonies and live off the land with a disabled husband...and you have no survival skills?

Wow.

Get a place with a good well. If you're going to live off the land, you need to be able to grow a big garden, and have pasture for animals. Good luck.

Well, I don't intend to totally live off the land, but I do think a garden is a given. I also want chickens and possibly a goat. And I think it would be nice if we could go hunting nearby, though I realize my son or I would be the one's doing the hunting, I don't think my husband can hold a gun steady enough. My husband has parkinson's and I think the extra work with his hands and no pressure would actually be good for him, and it doesn't have to be perfect. He used to be a painter as in art. He can still do it, though not as well. And yes, we need a place with a good well, we'll probably have the houses built, small one's. Or one house with a mother in law apartment. I don't want too much land, 5 acres should be fine. I'm not looking to go into farming and make a living off of the land, only to subsidize our lifestyle. And I want to be able to use a wood stove. I live in the city right now and our winter energy bills are up to $600 a month. We can't burn in our woodstove unless it's our only source of heat so that's out. I was jealous when I saw my friends utility bills for her house built in the early 1900's. $200 for EVERYTHING. Of course her house is a lot smaller than ours. We definitely need to go with a smaller house. I also wouldn't mind finding a group of people that do live off the land that would be willing to help us to learn.

Of course all this right now is talk. I'm just sick of not being warm because out county won't let us use our woodstove and I also would like to have chickens as I love fresh eggs but that can't be done in our city on our lot. I think I liked it better before we became a city.

Okay, this is it. Either you are drinking while posting or screaming out for help. Anyone here who knows who you are has a civic and moral duty to report you to the authorities before you hurt yourself or others:evil:

Gee, Dante, coming from you that means, well, absolutely nothing.

Your plan has a major flaw. It is based on a monetary collapse but then depends on federal and pension retirement. If there is a monetary collapse those resources won't be there.

Living off the land is hard work 7 days a week just for basic necessities. You're better off living near some small town in a mild climate and living as cheap as you can while stockpiling the rest in some sort of liquid assets (gold, silver, grain, simple grain machinery, lifestock). If no collapse occurs you'll be happy knowing you're alive and prepared while living simply. If a collapse occurs you'll have items of value that you can barter for the necessities you can't provide for yourselves.

My plan has a lot of flaws, it's all just talk right now and to get ideas from other people. Suggestions as to which small town and why?

Virtually any small town you visit and like will do. It mostly has to do with what parts of the country you like, climate, lakes, mountains or not, beaches, etc.

The asshole who talked shit about Idaho has it about half right....the southern part of the state has good soil, the state is pretty sparsely populated, has pretty good water....Boise is an absolute gem of a city, with lots of outlying property.
And the people are, by and large, lovely. My people are from the Parma area and smarter, kinder, more lovely people one could never hope to meet.

Why are people patronizing this obviously desperate cuckoo? She needs help. Her posts scream out

"Help me!"

you people need to stop encouraging her and playing with a fragile mind. :evil:

I think land is cheap in Wyoming. I don't know about how long the growing season is, though.

AS...you have to check this out!

Attached chicken coop = indoor eggs!

dd0fc9144ce44b5eac2065ee9fd4cbd2-640X480.jpg

Hand Hewn Historic Cabin

A fb friend of mine posted this. He and his wife started out with a few chickens and a tiny garden, in town...they have been steadily working towards self-sufficiency by gardening, canning, and keeping chickens and they have made an amazing success of it.

They started in place...carefully researching, building raised garden beds, then adding the chickens, and then she started canning...they are in the process of moving out of town into a bigger place with more land (but not a lot of land).

So it can be done. I think the idea is to start small, with something you can manage, and just keep working at it.

I'm thinking about a tiny little plot for us this summer.

And remember..you can get involved in community gardens, too...the first year before they had more than a few plants of their own, they were VERY involved in a community garden, which really let them get their feet wet and allowed them to network with people who were quite experienced.

In that cabin, note the size of the windows. If you're living in a cold clime, you want to really think hard before putting in big picture windows. They suck the heat right out of your house and your bones.

In that cabin, note the size of the windows. If you're living in a cold clime, you want to really think hard before putting in big picture windows. They suck the heat right out of your house and your bones.

I think this is one of the problems with our home. It was built in the 60's and although we have had double pane windows put in they are huge. Heck, you can walk into the house though several of our "windows". We also have more than 3,000 square feet. It's much more than we need now and certainly more than I want to heat.

This story of family is creepy at best. AS sounds demented and in need of some serious help

What story is that Dante? And please be specific. On second thought, you've said you were leaving several times, isn't it time for you to actually keep your word for a change?

Forum List

Back