land for sale?

AS...you have to check this out!

Attached chicken coop = indoor eggs!

dd0fc9144ce44b5eac2065ee9fd4cbd2-640X480.jpg

Hand Hewn Historic Cabin

A fb friend of mine posted this. He and his wife started out with a few chickens and a tiny garden, in town...they have been steadily working towards self-sufficiency by gardening, canning, and keeping chickens and they have made an amazing success of it.

They started in place...carefully researching, building raised garden beds, then adding the chickens, and then she started canning...they are in the process of moving out of town into a bigger place with more land (but not a lot of land).

So it can be done. I think the idea is to start small, with something you can manage, and just keep working at it.

I'm thinking about a tiny little plot for us this summer.

And remember..you can get involved in community gardens, too...the first year before they had more than a few plants of their own, they were VERY involved in a community garden, which really let them get their feet wet and allowed them to network with people who were quite experienced.

kg... all i could think of ...is indoor chicken shit smell.....

Hand Hewn Historic Cabin

A fb friend of mine posted this. He and his wife started out with a few chickens and a tiny garden, in town...they have been steadily working towards self-sufficiency by gardening, canning, and keeping chickens and they have made an amazing success of it.

They started in place...carefully researching, building raised garden beds, then adding the chickens, and then she started canning...they are in the process of moving out of town into a bigger place with more land (but not a lot of land).

So it can be done. I think the idea is to start small, with something you can manage, and just keep working at it.

And remember..you can get involved in community gardens, too...the first year before they had more than a few plants of their own, they were VERY involved in a community garden, which really let them get their feet wet and allowed them to network with people who were quite experienced.

That was my thought too, but I wasn't going to say it. :D

The door between the coop and the house would be a tiny one, with the laying boxes flush against the house wall...so you just open a small door and reach in. You would of course be motivated to keep your coop pretty clean; and the chickies would have to be out during the day, lol. But really, I don't think it would be a big issue with just 3-4 hens. Chickens only hang out in the chicken house at night, and that one's small enough that if you clean it out once a week, you should be fine.

If you're going to be homesteading on a small scale, you'd better be okay with the smell of animals, is all I can say. chickens who are waaay away from the house tend to get eaten by varmints....and it's a pain in the butt to feed them and gather eggs.

The door between the coop and the house would be a tiny one, with the laying boxes flush against the house wall...so you just open a small door and reach in. You would of course be motivated to keep your coop pretty clean; and the chickies would have to be out during the day, lol. But really, I don't think it would be a big issue with just 3-4 hens. Chickens only hang out in the chicken house at night, and that one's small enough that if you clean it out once a week, you should be fine.

If you're going to be homesteading on a small scale, you'd better be okay with the smell of animals, is all I can say. chickens who are waaay away from the house tend to get eaten by varmints....and it's a pain in the butt to feed them and gather eggs.

I'll have a dog and some cats to keep the varmints away and keep them in a coop with a pen. (the chickens, not the dog and cats) Although now that I think about it, my husband might nix the whole thing. He hasn't let me get a dog or a cat since our last ones died.

Cats and dogs don't do much to keep away weasels, coyotes, foxes.

In fact, cats, in particular (and many dogs) often become a meal. (Coyotes are hard on cat/small dogs).

In fact, dogs are notoriously worthless when it comes to chasing off coyotes...we lived in a place where packs of coyotes (the biggest ones I've ever seen) made regular sweeps through the property....through our corrals, around the grain silos, in our yard...and our dogs (large dogs) sat completely silently on the porch...if we asked them "what the heck!" they looked at us and said "What? I didn't see anything. Can't hear anything either."

They ate the crap out of the cats, too.

Cats and dogs don't do much to keep away weasels, coyotes, foxes.

In fact, cats, in particular (and many dogs) often become a meal. (Coyotes are hard on cat/small dogs).

Naw, I'm gonna get me THIS cat:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQ47elTsRk]Huge bear is a scaredy cat - YouTube[/ame]

we have quite a few coyotes in our area. I've seen them in the woods frequently but they never really came to close to the house. when the last hurricane hit we were without power for 9 days and a few hundred dollars worth of meat spoiled. i tossed it on the property line figuring something would eat it. within a half hour there were 6 coyotes on it. well that turned out to be a mistake because now they are coming onto the property and raiding the garbage. I went out to bring in some firewood last night and one was on the cans looking for food.

Wow nothing would ever possess me to throw meat out on, or anywhere near, my property.

I'd either cook it and feed it to my own dogs (they like it rotten, lol...if you can handle handling it) or dump it as far away from my house as possible.

Coyotes are opportunistic, and they're smart. They've got their eye on you. If you have cats, pretty soon...you won't.

Hand Hewn Historic Cabin

Not if she doesn't tell Dante where she lives.

In fact, dogs are notoriously worthless when it comes to chasing off coyotes...we lived in a place where packs of coyotes (the biggest ones I've ever seen) made regular sweeps through the property....through our corrals, around the grain silos, in our yard...and our dogs (large dogs) sat completely silently on the porch...if we asked them "what the heck!" they looked at us and said "What? I didn't see anything. Can't hear anything either."

Wow that's odd, my dogs love to fight the with coyotes! It gets a bit bloody at times with a few Vet. bills now and then but it has settled down. The coyotes have just about stopped coming around, now all we get are the noobs.

No kidding!

My dog was an asshole then, lol.

We had a dog who was half coyote, long long ago. He was half some sort of sheepdog...thank goodness his behavior took after his mom.

But he had a big brush of a tail, lol. And he had that stiff-legged trot.

Wow nothing would ever possess me to throw meat out on, or anywhere near, my property.

I'd either cook it and feed it to my own dogs (they like it rotten, lol...if you can handle handling it) or dump it as far away from my house as possible.

Coyotes are opportunistic, and they're smart. They've got their eye on you. If you have cats, pretty soon...you won't.

we always put out scraps or left overs. something always eats them. no, we have no pets. i think the coyotes have moved into the area because we are overrun with deer. i've noticed more carcasses in the woods than normal die off too.

No kidding!

My dog was an asshole then, lol.

We had a dog who was half coyote, long long ago. He was half some sort of sheepdog...thank goodness his behavior took after his mom.

But he had a big brush of a tail, lol. And he had that stiff-legged trot.

Well I have three that have packed up real nice, they move as one and they know how to fight. I have to watch 'em real close all the time or they will try and kick the crap out most of the dogs that they can get to. I have built a 6' foot cedar fence all the way around my two acres and I have also built a couple of nice large pens with heated houses for them as well. We have lots of fun together and my wife and I often take them out to the woods to run, sniff and hunt. But we have had to just about give up walking them anywhere near town. They ride in the back of truck a lot but I have fixed it up with chains and runners for them so they are under complete control all of the time. I also have a sign on my tailgate that says "Please do not pet the dogs" and I also built a cage fixture above the tailgate. Before the sign a couple people got bit for sticking their hands in the back of the truck. Believe it or not one guy even stuck his face down to them once and got bit right in the face! Man I was worried but he said it was his own fault and let it drop. I don't blame them for being dogs they don't act a lot different them my brother and I did growing up away from town out in the desert :)

Last edited:

we always put out scraps or left overs. something always eats them. no, we have no pets. i think the coyotes have moved into the area because we are overrun with deer. i've noticed more carcasses in the woods than normal die off too.

Last year my wife and I stumbled onto an awful scene. Bones, carcasses and tufts of fur everywhere at least twenty of so dead dear. As we looked around trying to understand what had happened I found a couple of piles of grain. The damn people at a golf course about a mile from that spot put out poison grain in the woods to kill the deer. I don't know if it's legal to do or not but it certainly is a bit of a shock to stumble upon such a scene. I sure don't like it.

Last edited:

Last year my wife and I stumbled onto an awful scene. Bones, carcasses and tufts of fur everywhere at least twenty of so dead dear. As we looked around trying to understand what had happened I found a couple of piles of grain. The damn people at a golf course about a mile from that spot put out poison grain in the woods to kill the deer. I don't know if it's legal to do or not but it certainly is a bit of a shock to stumble upon such a scene. I sure don't like it.

no shit. that sucks. poison i don't believe is , but there are a number of states where you can get a permit to kill a large number of deer even off hunting season. but get this, you can only kil them, you can't take any of the meat.

What a horrible waste.

no shit. that sucks. poison i don't believe is , but there are a number of states where you can get a permit to kill a large number of deer even off hunting season. but get this, you can only kil them, you can't take any of the meat.

And yet another horrible waste.

I have a good solution for that. Larger stock, like donkeys or llamas are usually good defenders against coyotes. Since bears and wolves are more the issue in my area, I have a Great Pyrenees LGD that has been raised with and lives exclusively with my goats. Bears will avoid large, noisy dogs. Wolves tend not to breach fences the way bears will. As for cats, well...the eagles have to eat, too. Keeps the feral population in check.

Okay, my husband is getting ready to retire. We are looking at the complete collapse of our monetary system due to debt that we can't possibly pay (American's debt, not ours). So we are considering purchasing some land off in the boonies hoping we can live off the land in our old age. Any suggestions as to where we could retire? Where we could find land with water that was cheap enough and in a good area? Someplace we can put a couple of small homes on, one for us and one for our adult child who is disabled? Preferably someplace close to where we could go hunting for food. Would be cool if there was someplace close by that we could go fishing and it all has to cost about $200,000 or less.

Is this impossible? Any suggestions? We would prefer to stay in our state due to our other disabled child who is in a home and we want to be close to him too.

Also suggestions...my husband is considering closing out his VIP account (most call it a 401K) due to the government threatening to take it over. My husband would then invest that money in the land, a home or improvements on the land and we'd live on social security and Boeing's retirement plan for as long as that lasts. Does anybody think this is a good idea or bad idea? Why or why not?

You sound like you want to downsize and protect your 401k and if possible live near your son, right? I think there are easier ways to downsize but that is just me who hopes to have a cushy life in my retirement versus a live of the land one. Who can say what might happen with these governments we elect.

I must admit I have not paid lots of attention to the 401k government meddling talk in the media. Is it a realistic threat?

Forum List

Back