land for sale?

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
Okay, my husband is getting ready to retire. We are looking at the complete collapse of our monetary system due to debt that we can't possibly pay (American's debt, not ours). So we are considering purchasing some land off in the boonies hoping we can live off the land in our old age. Any suggestions as to where we could retire? Where we could find land with water that was cheap enough and in a good area? Someplace we can put a couple of small homes on, one for us and one for our adult child who is disabled? Preferably someplace close to where we could go hunting for food. Would be cool if there was someplace close by that we could go fishing and it all has to cost about $200,000 or less.

Is this impossible? Any suggestions? We would prefer to stay in our state due to our other disabled child who is in a home and we want to be close to him too.

Also suggestions...my husband is considering closing out his VIP account (most call it a 401K) due to the government threatening to take it over. My husband would then invest that money in the land, a home or improvements on the land and we'd live on social security and Boeing's retirement plan for as long as that lasts. Does anybody think this is a good idea or bad idea? Why or why not?

What skills do you have?

Can you build, farm, can food, do repairs, hunt, dress game, raise animals for food etc?

Okay, my husband is getting ready to retire. We are looking at the complete collapse of our monetary system due to debt that we can't possibly pay (American's debt, not ours). So we are considering purchasing some land off in the boonies hoping we can live off the land in our old age. Any suggestions as to where we could retire? Where we could find land with water that was cheap enough and in a good area? Someplace we can put a couple of small homes on, one for us and one for our adult child who is disabled? Preferably someplace close to where we could go hunting for food. Would be cool if there was someplace close by that we could go fishing and it all has to cost about $200,000 or less.

Is this impossible? Any suggestions? We would prefer to stay in our state due to our other disabled child who is in a home and we want to be close to him too.

Also suggestions...my husband is considering closing out his VIP account (most call it a 401K) due to the government threatening to take it over. My husband would then invest that money in the land, a home or improvements on the land and we'd live on social security and Boeing's retirement plan for as long as that lasts. Does anybody think this is a good idea or bad idea? Why or why not?

I've allways been a firm believer in controlling your own assets, so I am all in favor of that. I am afraid I have no real idea about land prices in the Eastern US so can't make a useful suggestion on that front.

I've allways been a firm believer in controlling your own assets, so I am all in favor of that. I am afraid I have no real idea about land prices in the Eastern US so can't make a useful suggestion on that front.

We're in Washington State, not Washington DC.

What skills do you have?

Can you build, farm, can food, do repairs, hunt, dress game, raise animals for food etc?

I have a book, and I can follow directions. IOW, I can do just about anything I set my mind to do.

Isn't your husband disabled?

You're going to pack it up and move to the boonies and live off the land with a disabled husband...and you have no survival skills?

Wow.

Get a place with a good well. If you're going to live off the land, you need to be able to grow a big garden, and have pasture for animals. Good luck.

What skills do you have?

I have a book, and I can follow directions. IOW, I can do just about anything I set my mind to do.

You're going to pack it up and move to the boonies and live off the land with a disabled husband...and you have no survival skills?

Wow.

Get a place with a good well. If you're going to live off the land, you need to be able to grow a big garden, and have pasture for animals. Good luck.

Well, I don't intend to totally live off the land, but I do think a garden is a given. I also want chickens and possibly a goat. And I think it would be nice if we could go hunting nearby, though I realize my son or I would be the one's doing the hunting, I don't think my husband can hold a gun steady enough. My husband has parkinson's and I think the extra work with his hands and no pressure would actually be good for him, and it doesn't have to be perfect. He used to be a painter as in art. He can still do it, though not as well. And yes, we need a place with a good well, we'll probably have the houses built, small one's. Or one house with a mother in law apartment. I don't want too much land, 5 acres should be fine. I'm not looking to go into farming and make a living off of the land, only to subsidize our lifestyle. And I want to be able to use a wood stove. I live in the city right now and our winter energy bills are up to $600 a month. We can't burn in our woodstove unless it's our only source of heat so that's out. I was jealous when I saw my friends utility bills for her house built in the early 1900's. $200 for EVERYTHING. Of course her house is a lot smaller than ours. We definitely need to go with a smaller house. I also wouldn't mind finding a group of people that do live off the land that would be willing to help us to learn.

Of course all this right now is talk. I'm just sick of not being warm because out county won't let us use our woodstove and I also would like to have chickens as I love fresh eggs but that can't be done in our city on our lot. I think I liked it better before we became a city.

Central Southern Michigan could fit into your plans and budget quite nicely.

Get the hell out of the country while you still can.

Seriously....I would.

Do you have a preference for warmer or cooler climes? If warmer is ok, central america could be an option. Panama, Costa Rica, Belize are frequently mentioned.

If you want to stay in this country, you probably want to get out of the west were water availability is sketchy. I'm averse to living in the north, so I don't know too much about what's available there. Virginia is ideal and expensive. West Virginia is less ideal and less expensive. Maybe Tennessee and NC? I'd give them a look if I were you.

Wow.

Well, I don't intend to totally live off the land, but I do think a garden is a given. I also want chickens and possibly a goat. And I think it would be nice if we could go hunting nearby, though I realize my son or I would be the one's doing the hunting, I don't think my husband can hold a gun steady enough. My husband has parkinson's and I think the extra work with his hands and no pressure would actually be good for him, and it doesn't have to be perfect. He used to be a painter as in art. He can still do it, though not as well. And yes, we need a place with a good well, we'll probably have the houses built, small one's. Or one house with a mother in law apartment. I don't want too much land, 5 acres should be fine. I'm not looking to go into farming and make a living off of the land, only to subsidize our lifestyle. And I want to be able to use a wood stove. I live in the city right now and our winter energy bills are up to $600 a month. We can't burn in our woodstove unless it's our only source of heat so that's out. I was jealous when I saw my friends utility bills for her house built in the early 1900's. $200 for EVERYTHING. Of course her house is a lot smaller than ours. We definitely need to go with a smaller house. I also wouldn't mind finding a group of people that do live off the land that would be willing to help us to learn.

Of course all this right now is talk. I'm just sick of not being warm because out county won't let us use our woodstove and I also would like to have chickens as I love fresh eggs but that can't be done in our city on our lot. I think I liked it better before we became a city.

How on earth do you have energy bills of $600 a month? I would pull the heaters out and say you didn't have any other heat.

Wood heat is expensive, too. You'll burn at least a cord a month, in the winter. It's not 600 a month but it can be pretty high.

I thought your son was autistic and in a home? How can he hunt?

Have you guys ever hunted? Generally speaking it requires many, many hours of hiking and chasing down or packing your game out after you shoot/kill it....usually in nasty, cold, often wet or snowy weather. It's challenging for strong men in their prime.

I have spent a large portion of my life in isolated, rural areas...and I've seen a lot of people come plop themselves down with all these visions of what life will be like...and then pick up stakes and leave after one or two years. I've also seen a lot of people think they can handle livestock...chickens are good, that's a good way to start. Goats are too but you have to know something about managing livestock to keep them healthy and safe.

You are a fool if you close your 401k before you turn 59. The government is not going to "take it over". I don't know who is filling your head with this stupid shit, but you should stop listening to them. Seriously.

If you withdraw your money early, then the government really WILL take it over. They will penalize the shit out of an early withdrawal.

Idaho is popular with crazies who think the country is going to go down the tubes any day now. Try there.

Wow.

Lots of reasons to build small, then. A smaller house is easier to keep up and heat, especially with wood or coal, than a huge McMansion. Chickens are a good idea, and a goat (or goats) are also nice, easy keepers. If you want a goat for milk, though, remember you won't get milk without babies every year.
Here's a really good resource, old but very applicable, and it's a free download. It's called the "Have More Plan".

The "Have-More" Plan - Free eBooks Download

Wow.

How on earth do you have energy bills of $600 a month? I would pull the heaters out and say you didn't have any other heat.

Wood heat is expensive, too. You'll burn at least a cord a month, in the winter. It's not 600 a month but it can be pretty high.

I thought your son was autistic and in a home? How can he hunt?

Have you guys ever hunted? Generally speaking it requires many, many hours of hiking and chasing down or packing your game out after you shoot/kill it....usually in nasty, cold, often wet or snowy weather. It's challenging for strong men in their prime.

I have spent a large portion of my life in isolated, rural areas...and I've seen a lot of people come plop themselves down with all these visions of what life will be like...and then pick up stakes and leave after one or two years. I've also seen a lot of people think they can handle livestock...chickens are good, that's a good way to start. Goats are too but you have to know something about managing livestock to keep them healthy and safe.

I've hunted, just not with guns. :) And yes, I've taken care of chickens, and cows and horses, my aunt had them, though I've never taken care of a goat, I have milked one before. Like I said, start small. I have two autistic sons on both ends of the spectrum, my oldest is high functioning and I believe he could hunt, whether he could actually accurately shoot the animal is another story. Of course, practice makes perfect. Fishing I can do. I could fish better than my dad. He hated that. Only girl in fishing club too and I could cast better than all the guys...that was in junior high, probably why I never had a date until I was a junior in highschool.

That six hundred includes gas and electric and is our absolute worst bill and includes all the taxes. Average is a lot less. Still I hate those bills and our city adds on all kinds of utility taxes because that way they don't have to go before the people to get permission.

Someplace with lower taxes appeals greatly to me. I don't need a community center that costs more than $500 a month to join after I've already spent the taxes to build it.

What skills do you have?

Are you prepared to "eat" your mistakes and failures?

I've made mistakes and failures before and while I've lived up to them, I haven't always "eaten" them. :lol:

I'm hoping to hire someone to build the home. I can can (yes, the dance too, :lol:) and some repairs I can do, some I have to hire someone to do, I'm hoping my oldest son will learn to do repairs. My husband couldn't do anything of the sort until I married him and convinced him to try. He put in three bathrooms and did a lot of remodeling and was successful for the most part, I did have to have my cousin come in to do the wiring. My husband didn't think he could do anything like that but my father did all that stuff and he'd never done it before a certain point in his life. We all have to learn sometime. My father learned carpentry from my great uncle and now I have a beautiful curio cabinet that is perfectly made by my dad. Just wish I'd have grandchildren to pass it down to.

Forum List

Back