Lack of social mobility in the US leading to social unrest.

People with jobs and hour commutes tend to have other things on their mind than "social unrest", like living their lives and paying their bills.

Maybe. Until they lose their job. Or until someone like Trump comes along and tells them things they want to hear.

Maybe. Until they lose their job. Or until someone like Trump comes along and tells them things they want to hear.

Well at 3.6% unemployment I suppose such people are the Elite Victims. For everybody else though, time to make the doughnuts.

3) Shipping costs. Same for everyone.

Not necessarily.

Many companies who ship goods to customers will offer to ship those goods for free if the merchant orders a certain amount. I used to work for a musical instrument company in another life, and as long as my clients were growing by a minimum of 15% over the previous year, they got free shipping...

4) rising wages. Because of so many jobs in the US, people were quitting and moving up the pay scale. If the person at the bottom gets paid 10% more, then the cost of producing, serving, whatever it is they do, rises by 10% or more. Everyone's earning more, things cost more, inflation RISES because everyone else is having to adjust their wages, their costs, their everything.

The way I read this is that you're saying that someone at level "C" quits, and someone from level "D" moves up to take his job.

Assuming that's correct, then the cost for the former level "D" guy may go up, but the fact of the matter is that the costs associated with employing the level "C" guy have evaporated, so the cost of doing that business has actually decreased. Everyone's earning more except the guy who quit.

This is overly simplified, but if the level "C" guy is making $50,000 a year, and the level "D" guy is making $40,000 a year, you offer the level "D" guy a $20,000 a year raise to do his job and half the job done by the former level "C" guy, you find another level "D" guy to do the other half of the level "C" job and pay him $20,000 a year more, you just saved $10,000 a year.

No one is going to turn down an offer of a 50% pay hike...

Well at 3.6% unemployment I suppose such people are the Elite Victims. For everybody else though, time to make the doughnuts.

Thing is, low unemployment is temporary, it'll rise again, and some people suffered after 2008, they won't forget that.

Forum List

Back